[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Running Back Sleepers

YoungBob

I was just checking out the "Running Back Sleepers" article in the Draft Guide and noticed where six of the nine contributing authors tabbed Thomas Jones in that category. Who's the editor here? Wouldn't seeing his name appear in that many portions of a "sleeper" article trigger some sort of alarm that woke up the staff? Just curious.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's on purpose to show the number of experts that agree he's a sleeper in high. My problem with it is that he's generally being drafted early-middle 2nd, and even late-1st, which isn't really sleeping unless you think he's a top3 back.

I think everyone has an eye on him too, and as soon as that happens, he can't be a sleeper in most leagues.

I think it's on purpose to show the number of experts that agree he's a sleeper in high. My problem with it is that he's generally being drafted early-middle 2nd, and even late-1st, which isn't really sleeping unless you think he's a top3 back.

I think everyone has an eye on him too, and as soon as that happens, he can't be a sleeper in most leagues.

Agreed. He generally falls out of my definition of a sleeper.

Agreed. He generally falls out of my definition of a sleeper.

Also agreed.

Does putting him on a new team make him a sleeper? That's the only thing I can think of. :D

He put up 1210 and 6 last year. Travis Henry put up 1211 and 7 last year, and he's on a new team as well, but he ain't no sleeper.

I guess because the Jets are better known as a short passing team at this juncture, and the Broncos are known for rushing, that must be the difference?

Yeah T Jones is definitely not a sleeper.

A sleeper is a guy like Chris Henry saying that If Brown gets hurt and White continues to be well unproductive, he'll have the job all to himself. Or Garrett Wolfe playing behind Benson. Same deal involving injuries. But listing a Top 20 RB as a sleeper is silly.

Edited by irish

It may be that they simply consider a sleeper to be anyone who they think will likely outperform their ADP. That may or may not apply to Jones this year.

that can definitely be the case...

but I always look at a sleeper as someone like Brandon Jackson, Tatum Bell, Jerious Norwood, Marshawn Lynch....

so it can be kind of confusing.....unless I'm a we todd....

You have to consider a few things here. Not every member of the huddle visit the message boards. So we may be talking up a player here, but if you dont visit here, you may just think Jones shifted teams. And the info provided isnt always for the die hards, who know there stuff. many rookies dont have a clue, and need every bit of advice out there.

Marquis Colston was a sleeper last year. Digging out real sleepers rarely happens. Calling out the writers for talking up who they thing will be more solid draft choices doesn't make sense.

THink of sleeper/bust more along the lines of good pick/bad pick. Especially when 'top' players are being discussed.

that can definitely be the case...

but I always look at a sleeper as someone like Brandon Jackson, Tatum Bell, Jerious Norwood, Marshawn Lynch....

so it can be kind of confusing.....unless I'm a we todd....

All three of whom are thought to be the main RBs for their team at this time...which doesn;t make them as much a sleeper as it does a potential value pick versus ADP.

Well, everyone has a different definition of a sleeper. I think when most of the writers do these things, they are thinking in terms of ADP. I try to avoid listing players that are in the top 3 rounds, but if I feel strongly enough about a player I am going to include him on the list regardless of his ADP. And as far as everyone including Thomas Jones, the writers submit their picks independently, so that is just a coincidence with the multiple listings.

Edited by rattsass

All three of whom are thought to be the main RBs for their team at this time...which doesn;t make them as much a sleeper as it does a potential value pick versus ADP.

Agreed that's why the two I listed are really more like sleepers.

Marquis Colston was a sleeper last year. Digging out real sleepers rarely happens. Calling out the writers for talking up who they thing will be more solid draft choices doesn't make sense.

Yea I don't see the need to call them out but he made a pretty valid point. I generally read the write ups on guys who aren't getting picked as a #2 or #3 RB.

Well, everyone has a different definition of a sleeper. I think when most of the writers do these things, they are thinking in terms of ADP. I try to avoid listing players that are in the top 3 rounds, but if I feel strongly enough about a player I am going to include him on the list regardless of his ADP. And as far as everyone including Thomas Jones, the writers submit their picks independently, so that is just a coincidence with the multiple lsitings.

Why?!? It's pretty simple isn't it? It's a player like, Colston, who comes out of the woodwork and has a great year and not only by performance for his NFL team but for fantasy teams. Yeah sure they will most certainly out perform their ADP but it's a matter of how much they outperform it in my opinion. Last year when you drafted a guy like Colston in the latter half of the draft or even the last round and he performs like a 3rd rounder, You Found A Sleeper!! Hell I drafted Gore in the 6th round last year and some people got him even later in early drafts last summer and he performed like a Top 5 pick- Sleeper!

Last year I seem to remember some kind of sleeper list geared towards keepers, like who was going in to the final year of their contract, good backups behind aging starters, young players that could break out next season, etc. Are they doing that again this year?

Agreed that's why the two I listed are really more like sleepers.

I disagree slightly. A sleeper really has to have some shot of possibly getting the job outright. Neither Benson nor Chris Brown have a significant injury history, and thus far nothing in camp has indicated that either rookie is looking stellar and in a position to steal carries. So, their only shot is a freak injury at this point.

A sleeper is more like a Tony Hunt in Philly that has looked solid in camp and could bite into Westbrook's time, and many non-diehards may still look at Buckhalter to be the key backup/change of pace there.

Colston was definitely a sleeper last year, but anyone that listened to rajncajn all preseason knew to take a flyer on him later on in the draft.

Why?!? It's pretty simple isn't it? It's a player like, Colston, who comes out of the woodwork and has a great year and not only by performance for his NFL team but for fantasy teams. Yeah sure they will most certainly out perform their ADP but it's a matter of how much they outperform it in my opinion. Last year when you drafted a guy like Colston in the latter half of the draft or even the last round and he performs like a 3rd rounder, You Found A Sleeper!! Hell I drafted Gore in the 6th round last year and some people got him even later in early drafts last summer and he performed like a Top 5 pick- Sleeper!

How many of the writers listed Gore last season?

Yea I don't see the need to call them out but he made a pretty valid point. I generally read the write ups on guys who aren't getting picked as a #2 or #3 RB.

Not disagreeing. At the same time, you could argue (If you had this opinion, of course), that Travis Henry is a sleeper at ADP#15 if you personally are predicting him to have a top 5 finish...so it really depends on how the writer is approaching the sleeper moniker.

I disagree slightly. A sleeper really has to have some shot of possibly getting the job outright. Neither Benson nor Chris Brown have a significant injury history, and thus far nothing in camp has indicated that either rookie is looking stellar and in a position to steal carries. So, their only shot is a freak injury at this point.

A sleeper is more like a Tony Hunt in Philly that has looked solid in camp and could bite into Westbrook's time, and many non-diehards may still look at Buckhalter to be the key backup/change of pace there.

Colston was definitely a sleeper last year, but anyone that listened to rajncajn all preseason knew to take a flyer on him later on in the draft.

Agreed with the last part and Hunt being a sleeper as I was actually going to list him as well. Brown definitely has an injury histroy as the guy has never been healthy for an entire year. Benson got banged up alot last year and some have already wondered if he can handle the full load as he didn't do so in college. Both RBs have issues that make you look at other options on their team just in case. Wolfe/Peterson and Chris Henry are sleepers, players that aren't expected to do much but then are pushed into a more prominent role for whatever reason.

How many of the writers listed Gore last season?

Didn't really take count but I'm sure more than a few.

Not disagreeing. At the same time, you could argue (If you had this opinion, of course), that Travis Henry is a sleeper at ADP#15 if you personally are predicting him to have a top 5 finish...so it really depends on how the writer is approaching the sleeper moniker.

Yup, I'll probably go back and read them all, keeping in mind a lot of them are guys to look at that might outperform their draft position. I was pretty suprised to see a lot of the guys in there when I clicked on the link, but there still might be some valuable info.

And the info provided isnt always for the die hards, who know there stuff. many rookies dont have a clue, and need every bit of advice out there.

They might get totally confused when everyone else is picking sleepers early in the draft.

Edited by bushwacked

Yup, I'll probably go back and read them all, keeping in mind a lot of them are guys to look at that might outperform their draft position. I was pretty suprised to see a lot of the guys in there when I clicked on the link, but there still might be some valuable info.

They might get totally confused when everyone else is picking sleepers early in the draft.

First of all, your idea of a sleeper and someone else's may be completely different. Have you ever thought maybe what you view as a sleeper and most of the huddle staff consider a sleeper is different. So maybe you should adjust your thinking. :D

A sleeper doesnt necessarily mean some unknown. And like someone said before, We submit our sleepers to DMD and he lists the writeups on the site.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan