[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Running Back Sleepers

YoungBob

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprised to see no love for guys Jamal Lewis, Betts, Dunn, Adrian Peterson (CHI), Sammy Morris, Anthony Thomas (and a few others who I prefer not to discuss to loudly). Outperforming ADP is great and all, but for a "sleepers" article I was sort of surprised to see only three writers (Ratsass, Sandy, and Darin) discuss more than one RB who will be drafted outside the top 50 or so picks.

Surprised to see no love for guys Jamal Lewis, Betts, Dunn, Adrian Peterson (CHI), Sammy Morris, Anthony Thomas (and a few others who I prefer not to discuss to loudly). Outperforming ADP is great and all, but for a "sleepers" article I was sort of surprised to see only three writers (Ratsass, Sandy, and Darin) discuss more than one RB who will be drafted outside the top 50 or so picks.

Well, apparently the writers were suppose to limit sleepers to 3 players. I never got that memo, so included more players. Had I been forced to limit my list to 3 players, I would have had a hard time leaving the 3 higher ranked picks off the list. Maybe we should expand the sleeper column to include "sleepers" and "deep sleepers."

Well, apparently the writers were suppose to limit sleepers to 3 players. I never got that memo, so included more players. Had I been forced to limit my list to 3 players, I would have had a hard time leaving the 3 higher ranked picks off the list. Maybe we should expand the sleeper column to include "sleepers" and "deep sleepers."

Honestly, I'd prefer the site drop the whole "Sleeper" moniker in regards to this article. Instead, ask each writer to pick 1 RB who they thought would outperform their draft position from the 1-24 ADP range, 1 from the ADP 25-48 range, 1 RB from the 49-60, 1 RB from 61-84, and 1 RB from beyond that.

Honestly, I'd prefer the site drop the whole "Sleeper" moniker in regards to this article. Instead, ask each writer to pick 1 RB who they thought would outperform their draft position from the 1-24 ADP range, 1 from the ADP 25-48 range, 1 RB from the 49-60, 1 RB from 61-84, and 1 RB from beyond that.

This is the best idea. I browsed the "sleeper" & "bust" articles and found several players who, IMO, would not qualify as either. I mean - Tony Romo is top 10 on pretty much everyone's list so sleeper does not apply for him IMO. There were also several bust selections that did not apply IMO. I kinda view the "sleeper/bust" articles as more of a rookie aid than anything else. I mean really, how many of us who have been involved in fantasy for 10+ years really need someone else to tell us who a sleeper or bust might be?

For me it's just a "finger on th pulse" thing. If you spend some time mulling around the FF world you pick up messages. The overwhelming message I am hearing everywhere is that T. Jones is a nice pick, underrated, solid, etc. Thus, people are mock-drafting and real-drafting him as such. He might have been a sleeper 4 weeks ago, but no more. His ADP is about where you'd think it would be (as is his auction value).

I thought overall the article was quite good, so I don't want to harp on this one bad point - but yeah, would have liked to seen some deeper digging. I thought the QB and WR sections were much better.

I mean really, how many of us who have been involved in fantasy for 10+ years really need someone else to tell us who a sleeper or bust might be?

I still like hearing the reasoning behind the picks people make. There are always a few angles I hadn't thought about very much.

I still like hearing the reasoning behind the picks people make. There are always a few angles I hadn't thought about very much.

I guess - I mean I browsed because I was curious and am just reading everything possible right now to get me thru pre-season. However, I'm not sure it provides me with anything useful other than "reading about football to pass the time until regular season". But yeah, I see what you're saying.

I'm not sure it provides me with anything useful other than "reading about football to pass the time until regular season".

Man, I laid the holy grail (my sleepers) at your feet, and you question its usefulness? :D

Man, I laid the holy grail (my sleepers) at your feet, and you question its usefulness? :D

:D

Edit: Is there a list of who's who in terms of Huddle contributors? Or is that all kept quasi-anonymous?

Edited by Sturphy

Brian Leonard?,Sammy Morris?,Lorenzo Booker?

I'm a big fan of the last round Sammy Morris pick. Maroney is still wearing the red shirt, if memory serves. And Morris performed admirably in replacement of Ronnie Brown last year. Imagine what Morris might could do now that he's on a real team.

Why?!? It's pretty simple isn't it? It's a player like, Colston, who comes out of the woodwork and has a great year and not only by performance for his NFL team but for fantasy teams. Yeah sure they will most certainly out perform their ADP but it's a matter of how much they outperform it in my opinion. Last year when you drafted a guy like Colston in the latter half of the draft or even the last round and he performs like a 3rd rounder, You Found A Sleeper!! Hell I drafted Gore in the 6th round last year and some people got him even later in early drafts last summer and he performed like a Top 5 pick- Sleeper!

Both valid points.

A “sleeper” in car terms would be pulling up to a Vega (stock tires) with a GTO thinking you can blow its doors off, only to find out it has a blown small block in it and all you see is taillights. Most RB “sleepers” get their chance when the starting RB falls to injury… this can’t be predicted in most cases. When Alexander had his breakout year, it was due to injury, but he had the talent to capitalize on it. In contrast, I don’t see Morris as having near the same impact in the same scenario… I could be wrong. This year, I would classify Tatum Bell and Betts as a sleepers, only because they’re going so late when RB’s are so valuable. I like Yo Mama’s definition of a sleeper, as the rookie RB’s with hugh talent are no secret.

The problem with identifying a true RB "sleeper", which as previous posters have defined as meaning a guy you can find in Round 9, 10, 11, and beyond, is that finding such a player requires you to predict injuries. Sure I can list Tony Hunt or Najeh Davenport as a sleeper, and maybe I'll luck into hitting on one of those if Westbrook or Parker goes down. But it doesn't serve much of a purpose for the larger masses.

What does serve a purpose is identifying undervalued RBs who will be taken in about Rounds 3-7 who have the upside and opportunity to become top 10 RBs this season. The Frank Gores of the world.

If you want someone to break out the tarrot cards and tell you that Edgerrin James will suffer an ACL injury in Week 5 and Marcel Shipp will put up 1,000 yards, I can give you a 1-900 number.

What was most peculiar about the RB list, which someone earlier mentioned, is that there were very few writers (myself included) who identified rookie RBs as sleepers. I don't know what that means :D . . . for my part I do like Marshawn Lynch a lot and would've listed him had we gone one or two more deep.

In contrast, I don’t see Morris as having near the same impact in the same scenario… I could be wrong.

Hey, I'm not saying Morris is a stud (though he was a top 20 RB in a PPR format between weeks 12-16 last year - about the same as Willie Parker and Travis Henry). But he's a legit flyer because the chance of an injury to the guy in front of him is higher than for most. And he's proven that not only can be moderately useful every week, he can also be a home run hitter (160 combined yards, 2 receptions, and a TD versus NE in week 14). But if you think you can find better upside in the 14th or 15th round, then go for it.

Hey, I'm not saying Morris is a stud (though he was a top 20 RB in a PPR format between weeks 12-16 last year - about the same as Willie Parker and Travis Henry). But he's a legit flyer because the chance of an injury to the guy in front of him is higher than for most. And he's proven that not only can be moderately useful every week, he can also be a home run hitter (160 combined yards, 2 receptions, and a TD versus NE in week 14). But if you think you can find better upside in the 14th or 15th round, then go for it.

With the retirement/IR situation with Mike Alstott this year...one can make a VERY solid case that Michael Pittman is a good sleeper. I have no idea why he isn't playing....the guy can flat out receive and hit holes hard. I think the Cadillac gets parked this year for a Pittman!!!

With the retirement/IR situation with Mike Alstott this year...one can make a VERY solid case that Michael Pittman is a good sleeper. I have no idea why he isn't playing....the guy can flat out receive and hit holes hard. I think the Cadillac gets parked this year for a Pittman!!!

Good point :D .

That is something I'd be likely to pay money for instead of 10 guys telling me Thomas Jones is a sleeper.

+1 :D

Another vote of support for a great idea here! :D:D