[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

No LMaroney?

rhino

I don't understand why you won't give credence to a player who has 12 starts in his career, but can only play in those games long enough to get double digit carries in 7 of them - barely more than half. He had to get pulled in the other starts because he wasn't doing his job as a starting RB, despite the opportunity. If he were even mediocre, he would have gotten a lot more work.

I agree, we'll have to see. I do have a feeling we'll get a chance to see this season. Maroney's shoulder and the mystery of its condition is concerning me more & more. There's only one way for a RB to get ready to NFL level contact, and that's to experience it. That NE is talking of limiting his carries severely even in week 3 of the preseason ought to be troubling any Maroney owner right now, and I agree that if rosters permit they ought to be rostering Morris, even if he has a substandard performance as a starter.

:D

I think you are only reitterating our point here by saying the above. I dont think anyone, myself included, is expecting Morris to be a super stud. But as valuable as RBs are, if Maroney is out for ANY amount of time, Morris has a lot of value for the game(s) Maroney misses. With the passing game beefed up as it is, whoever starts at RB for that team outta get at LEAST 10 carries a game, no matter what is happening. I mentioned Morris's name for simple fact that he can be had near the end of most drafts, and will be a nice steal if Maroney does not play.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are only reitterating our point here by saying the above. I dont think anyone, myself included, is expecting Morris to be a super stud. But as valuable as RBs are, if Maroney is out for ANY amount of time, Morris has a lot of value for the game(s) Maroney misses. With the passing game beefed up as it is, whoever starts at RB for that team outta get at LEAST 10 carries a game, no matter what is happening. I mentioned Morris's name for simple fact that he can be had near the end of most drafts, and will be a nice steal if Maroney does not play.

I picked him up for trade bait for the Maroney Owner. Also, I think he will start four of five games this year and worse case my be an emergency starter for my team should I have an injury with my starter. I agree with Peep and DMD....while he won't be FWP or something like that....he oculd fill in in any given week if needed should he be the starter due to injury....I got him in the 13th.

That's the part I disagree with. Even with Maroney out, I don't see Morris as producing enough to start for team team unless they are in really bad shape or they have significant bye week issues. The only guy that Morris should have value to is the Maroney owner - everyone else ought to be able to find comparable or better potential value in other players, and that Morris IS lasting until the end of most drafts only reinforces that opinion.

But God knows I've been wrong enough before - so if you feel strongly, I say have at it. I wouldn't burn a roster spot on him unless rosters were very deep - and I'd have some of my own players to handcuff with those late picks if nothing else.

That's the part I disagree with. Even with Maroney out, I don't see Morris as producing enough to start for team team unless they are in really bad shape or they have significant bye week issues. The only guy that Morris should have value to is the Maroney owner - everyone else ought to be able to find comparable or better potential value in other players, and that Morris IS lasting until the end of most drafts only reinforces that opinion.

But God knows I've been wrong enough before - so if you feel strongly, I say have at it. I wouldn't burn a roster spot on him unless rosters were very deep - and I'd have some of my own players to handcuff with those late picks if nothing else.

This is a valid point. But I have been in some drafts where the RB I take has no logical handcuff. Several players in RBBC systems fit into this category. In that case, a drafter has little choice but to take chances on other peoples handcuffs if one wants depth at the RB position at all. No?

This is a valid point. But I have been in some drafts where the RB I take has no logical handcuff. Several players in RBBC systems fit into this category. In that case, a drafter has little choice but to take chances on other peoples handcuffs if one wants depth at the RB position at all. No?

True, but I've been known to back up WRs also when rosters are deep (see the Huddle Ladder HoF draft) and logic dictates.

The proof is in the pudding. Look at DMDs stats from last year when Morris started when Brown was out. Dont look at his career stats, because they might be muddled with carries from when he eithr played as a COP back, or a 3rd down back, or whatever. How can you disagree with it when Morris played solid last year when he started on the lowly Dolphins team?

The proof is in the pudding. Look at DMDs stats from last year when Morris started when Brown was out. Dont look at his career stats, because they might be muddled with carries from when he eithr played as a COP back, or a 3rd down back, or whatever. How can you disagree with it when Morris played solid last year when he started on the lowly Dolphins team?

There's no proof in that pudding.

You're telling me that a RB who is now 30 yrs old suddenly "got it" after 6 1/2 years in the league of not "getting it" becasue of one good game, and that makes him a valuable tool for another team this year when he is entering the twilight of his career by his position's standard?

Color me extremely skeptical...

You're telling me that a RB who is now 30 yrs old suddenly "got it" after 6 1/2 years in the league of not "getting it" becasue of one good game, and that makes him a valuable tool for another team this year when he is entering the twilight of his career by his position's standard?

At the age of 30 he may finally find himself in a super-offense with a chance to start after a career in crappy offenses. RB's never "get it" over time, they are who they are and a whole lot of that depends on their opportunity to carry the ball and if there is a hole to run through. You get four yards when the blocking is up to par. When you are on the three yard line or less, you score a TD. When you play behind a guy who got banged up three times as a part-timer last year and who is now the primary...

Viva la Sammy! :D

It kind of boils down to this question...

Do you think Morris is better, or as good as, Heath Evans or Patrick Pass?

Comparing their careers... Morris may as well be Barry Sanders compared to Evans' and Pass' career up to this point.

All have been in the league about the same amount of time.

Morris has had 3x the number of carries.

Evans does not even have a rushing TD, Pass has 1. Morris has 14.

Morris had more carries in '04 than Evans or Pass in their entire careers.

All 3 have comparable ypc.

Evans and Pass have showed that when they had to fill in for Dillon, they did pretty well. Given Maroney's injury situation Morris looks to have even more opportunities to fill-in as Dillon's injury frequency or severity never approached that of Maroney's.

week 12 12-91

week 13 12-47

week 14 25-123

week 15 20-71

Youre telling me these numbers right here are bad numbers? Behind a Miami OL that was horrible... Really? May as well double them with NEs OL.

Tell ya what... Lets just see how the season pans out. Now just remember, no one is saying he is a stud. But several of us here are predicting Maroney will not play a full season, and Morris will be a hot item at some point this year.

Im done...

It kind of boils down to this question...

Do you think Morris is better, or as good as, Heath Evans or Patrick Pass?

Actually, it boils down to whether I want any of those 3 turds on my roster.

If I'm not the Maroney owner, I'd say no, and even if I were the Maroney owner I'd be letting them drop to the last round.

If I'm not the Maroney owner, I'd say no, and even if I were the Maroney owner I'd be letting them drop to the last round.

:D

I'm not the Maroney owner but on the continuum of turd-like backups in the NFL... Morris may as well be Barry Sanders compared to Evans and Pass.

I agree that if you're not a Maroney owner you probably wouldn't care who the hell his backup is however given Maroney's frequency and severity of injuries, you'd be a fool not to know at least know who his backup is AND at least consider using that last round flier on him if the Maroney owner didn't already.

Edited by kingfish247

I seem to remember a "turd" by the name of Nick Goings that helped me win a championship a few seasons ago.............................

If you drafted Morris as your #4 or #5 RB, you made a intelligent pick. Maroney isn't going to stay healthy and NE's O-line and passing game are going to be enough to potentially make him a legitimate #2 fantasy back. It's all going to boil down to how long Maroney is out and how much RBBC Belichick decides to run. At the very least, I'd expect to see Faulk out there on most 3rd downs, even with a healthy Maroney.

Edited by Bill Swerski

So how many turds do you populate your roster with in hopes of finding the one with the gold in the middle?

I prefer the "coal into diamond" analogy. You just have no where to go with a turd really.

So how many turds do you populate your roster with in hopes of finding the one with the gold in the middle?

You can't fill a 20 man roster without turds....er...coals.

Edited by rattsass

Sheesh. You act like the last third of a draft is just littered with high-upside, low-risk RBs. :D

BB likes the 8 team leagues..................

2 things -

1. I disagree, and I will just leave it at that. I think Maroney is being over rated a bit, and again, I just think Morris will play more than we think. Belichek has a pretty good understanding of the way he plays. He beat up the Pats last year when he was starting for the fish, so if you cant stop him, sign him.

2. I noticed your sig, and it sounds like you dont have Morris as a cuff. If not, you might wanna try to get him.

3. I know this wasnt supposed to be mentioned, but stop being a biased owner. :D

WRONG! There happens to be a guy on the roster by the name of Kevin Faulk. You know the guy with all the intangibles to keep him on the roster throughout the Belichick regime. Should Maroney go down, it would be he and Morris filling the void--not Morris alone. This is what you fail to understand. No owner wants a part of a Morris-Faulk 50-50 split. That is not being a biased owner, that is being realistic. If anyone is being biased it is you in your staunch support of your sleeper.

FYI Morris is a FA in my league, Faulk is not.

Let's see, Morris is not Maroney - agreed. But is Morris any better than Heath Evans who filled in for a couple of games in 2005 and had 102 and 95 yards in two games played? Is Morris any better than Patrick Pass who had a couple of games in 2005 of 153 yards and 89 yards? It really isn't about Morris, it is about the durability questions of Maroney and what happens in that offense if he is not there. Throw in that Belichick himself has expressed confidence in Morris and he becomes a worthwhile late steal and a prudent earlier pick by the Maroney owner IMO.

Evans is still there as well. Guess you'll have to draft them all...