[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thomas Jones hurt

PaulOttCarruth

Jets RB Thomas Jones injures right leg during practice

August 12, 2007

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- New York Jets running back Thomas Jones limped off the practice field after injuring his lower right leg Sunday.

There was no immediate word on the nature or severity of the injury, but it appeared to be either to his ankle or calf. Jones wasn't made available to the media, and coach Eric Mangini had already addressed the media before practice.

Jones was untouched during running back drills when he went to plant his right foot and fell. He immediately took off his helmet and untied his shoe before he was examined by a trainer, who wrapped his lower right leg.

Jones, acquired from Chicago to give New York a bona fide No. 1 back, limped off the field to the sideline and had a more substantial wrap placed around the leg.

Jones spent the rest of practice on the sidelines, working the hand bike and stretching. He walked very gingerly, but was able to put weight on the leg. Jones also was clearly able to move his ankle.

Or we could just wait and see what actually happened, then adjust our rankings.

EDIT: From what I'm reading, it seems like just an ankle sprain. If this is the case, I'm sure he'll be good to go by week 1. If it's anything worse, like a high ankle sprain, then you probably need to lock up Washington as well. The guy is tough and an overall physical beast, so I won't worry yet.

Edited by budlitebrad

EDIT: From what I'm reading, it seems like just an ankle sprain. If this is the case, I'm sure he'll be good to go by week 1. If it's anything worse, like a high ankle sprain, then you probably need to lock up Washington as well. The guy is tough and an overall physical beast, so I won't worry yet.

yeah...I think all this means is we've seen the last of Thomas Jones until week 1...week 2 at the absolute worst...

...which is actually not such a bad thing if you're going to be drafting in the next two weeks. Too many owners act like the season is won or lost in Week 1 when drafting, so if even if Jones is only out for the rest of the preseason, it will probably still be enough to drop him a round or maybe even two. That's the kind of situation that owners with a little patience and a lot of vision will capitalize on.

Tough part here is that with mangini and company, you're gonna' have a tough time getting a read on this injury. They tell the media nothing, and by team rule, players are prohibited from discussing injuries with the press.

Some more details, what little there is, from today's NY Post: injury happened during a one-on-one blocking drill with a linebacker, Jones took a jump step and tried to plant on the artificial turf, but he collapsed before making contact with the defender.

He went immediately to the sidelines, where they taped his upper ankle, put an air cast on the lower ankle, and then taped that up too.

Seems encouraging that he remained on the sidelines for the rest of the practice (doing the arm bike and light stretching), rather than retiring directly to the locker room.

Jets' RB corps is pretty thin right now, with CuMar retiring, Cedric Houston seemingly retiring, TJones now injured, and fullback Stacy Tutt being injured in Friday's preseason opener. This leaves Leon Washington and fullback Darian Barnes as the only healthy backs among those likely to make the team.

Jets are trying to revamp what was a mediocre running game last season, and of course T Jones will be a big part of that. In the preseason opener against the Falcons, mangini ran the ball on the Jets' first 16 offensive snaps. T Jones finished with 8 carries for 27 yards and one touchdown.

Any word on Alvin Banks? I haven't seen any news on him and thought he was a legitimate ultra-deep sleeper at RB this season.

Ware is well ahead of Banks at this point, and was taking some first team snaps in practice yesterday along with Washington. If the Jones injury is a high ankle (and it sounds like that to me) then either Banks or Hollings will stick around until Jones can return. If Jones is OK, Banks and Hollings are very long shots to survive the final cutdown. Ware looks to have a solid grip on the #3 RB spot.

Ware is well ahead of Banks at this point, and was taking some first team snaps in practice yesterday along with Washington. If the Jones injury is a high ankle (and it sounds like that to me) then either Banks or Hollings will stick around until Jones can return. If Jones is OK, Banks and Hollings are very long shots to survive the final cutdown. Ware looks to have a solid grip on the #3 RB spot.

Really? Man, I knew Hollings sucked big time, but I didn't think Banks would. That a guy like Ware would take over at #3 so quickly after being cut by a team like TEN before he even had a chance to get his uniform dirty really says something...

Really? Man, I knew Hollings sucked big time, but I didn't think Banks would. That a guy like Ware would take over at #3 so quickly after being cut by a team like TEN before he even had a chance to get his uniform dirty really says something...

Imagine if Sammy Morris was in NY! :D

Ware has actually looked pretty good. Banks continuously is the recipient of big hits in TC. He gets rocked almost every day... he's helping some LB's look good. Hollings is strictly training camp fodder. Ware went 12 for 48 against the Falcons, while Banks was 5 for 11, keeping in mind Ware did have a long run of 26 which saved his numbers. Bottom line is that the Jets offensive line can't run block worth a horse's behind. But Ware has looked to be the better RB in the two practices I've seen. I hope to get out there tomorrow again.

And what does that mean exactly?

I don't have the degree to really figure it out even if we had more details. I was hoping to pick up Jones as my #2 RB. I draft in a week so hopefully we have more news by then. I had the misfortune of drafting Dom. Davis last year when he ended up on the injured list for the entire season. I tried pushing the draft in my local back this year, but it didn't work. I'm real gun shy about injuries going into the season with my top 3 picks now.

I don't have the degree to really figure it out even if we had more details. I was hoping to pick up Jones as my #2 RB. I draft in a week so hopefully we have more news by then. I had the misfortune of drafting Dom. Davis last year when he ended up on the injured list for the entire season. I tried pushing the draft in my local back this year, but it didn't work. I'm real gun shy about injuries going into the season with my top 3 picks now.

I'm a Jets homer, and I would not draft TJ as my #2 RB. Not because of this injury, but because he won't get as many touches as most people seem to think, and the Jets O line can't run block worth a sheet between the tackles. If this injury caused you to have second thoughts about Jones, thank the FF gods.