[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Purchasing a better draft position

theeohiostate

Wondering if anyone has ever offered up some greenback to move into another draft position.

I'm setting at the 11 spot, and don't like it, so i was thinking of offering up the #1 or #2 draft position owners 20% of the league entry fee to take their postion.

Thoughts?

Trading a commodity outside the league parameters, in this case cash, in order to change a draft position would upset the balance of the league and can be grounds for collusion.

As a commish, I would not allow this type of transaction.

Think Henry has been going at 8 and 9 in most drafts, i don't feel good sitting with Brown or McGahee

Id feel better with Brown than McSuckee. In fact, I wont draft McGahee at all. I know what he has to offer a team, and it isnt good. But overall, I agree. I wouldnt feel GREAT with those guys.

Trading a commodity outside the league parameters, in this case cash, in order to change a draft position would upset the balance of the league and can be grounds for collusion.

I agree 100% with this!

yep

I don't consider a lucky dice roll part of FF either and if the NFL can pay cash for a draft spot, why the thought of collusion in FF ??

Seems to be overplaying the "moral" card by suggesting collusion on the transfer of a draft spot, i'm not buying players or asking an owner to tank a game here. :D

I mean really, there has to be an incentive to trade your entire draft spot, what in the world would make the owners at #1 or #2 even consider giving up the spot.............casue they like you :D

Edited by theeohiostate

I don't consider a lucky dice roll part of FF either and if the NFL can pay cash for a draft spot, why the thought of collusion in FF ??

Seems to be overplaying the "moral" card by suggesting collusion on the transfer of a draft spot, i'm not buying players or asking an owner to tank a game here. :D

I mean really, there has to be an incentive to trade your entire draft spot, what in the world would make the owners at #1 or #2 even consider giving up the spot.............casue they like you :D

Once you allow people to start giving money to other people for their fantasy assets, it's a whole new ball of wax. A different game. This is generally outside of the parameters of conduct that people expect to be in place when they sign up to play the game. It's not a moral thing, it's just not considered part of the game. Random draft slot is.

EDIT: For that matter, if you want this to be a part of the game, why not have people submit blind bids for draft slot and have that money go to the prize pool? Then draft slots cost money and buying a slot off someone would not be so off color.

Edited by Caveman_Nick

if you want to be able to purchase a draft slot then ditch the dice roll and get an auctioneer and have people bid real money for the draft spot that they want....start the bids out at the entry fee and go from there but then add that money to the pot

I'm with the cash is out of bounds group.

Reasoning is this. It upsets the balance of the league by introducing a non-league factor. In a league, you have x number of players/draft picks and, in some leagues x number of free agent dollars. Everyone starts on a level playing field.

THis is not true when you introduce outside entities like real cash. For some owners, a 50-100 dollar entry fee may be a large sum, and to others, it may be chump change. But, once paid, everyone is on an equal footing in the confines of the league.

My local started out that free agents were done via blind bid.... for real cash. Well, most of us were college kids, but a few had graduated and had regular jobs, not part time college jobs or no job. So, for those with no job, bidding more than a couple dollars on a player was the difference between Ramen and Taco Bell for dinner, while to others, bidding $20 on a player was nothing. The league was not balanced.

thanks for sharing your thoughts fellas, i'm going to introduce the idea of an auction for draft postions.

This is a high stakes league, where having the #1 pick almost assures you of "Big Bucks" , so the dice roll crap luck really isn't a great remedy when there is this kind of money.

This is a high stakes league, where having the #1 pick almost assures you of "Big Bucks" , so the dice roll crap luck really isn't a great remedy when there is this kind of money.

I certainly hope so. :D

And that dice roll wasn't luck. I can pad-roll a 7 in my sleep.

Edited by yo mama

I have been the commish for my league for 10 years know. We have had several people buy or trade first round draft picks. No one has had a problem with it yet. Our league started om 1992 with the same core guys. However, the guys who have bought their way into the top few spots in those years did not fair to well. So it becomes somewhat of a joke at the next years draft.

thanks for sharing your thoughts fellas, i'm going to introduce the idea of an auction for draft postions.

Honestly, at that point why not take the entry fee and have an auction based on that amount as a salary cap. Or increase the amount by say 20% to account for people not spending all of their money.

Honestly, at that point why not take the entry fee and have an auction based on that amount as a salary cap. Or increase the amount by say 20% to account for people not spending all of their money.

Another good idea i'd like to look into. Actually, i love this scenario the best, thanks.

Depending upon how much it costs, why not just buy all of the first round picks? If the cost to buy all of the first round picks is less than the amount that the Championship pays out, then I guess it makes sense. It also sounds like a lot of fun for everyone involved.

We actually used the draft position for adding money into the kitty before the season ever started.

This works best in it is a local draft and all the owners are present, plus it adds to the fun. Here's how we worked it.

All 12 guys come in not doing their position ready to bid real dollars that get added to their league fee. The bid opens up and you go around the table / room and each guy bids or passes until the owners drop out and the top bid gets the #1 spot for $XX.00. He makes his selection - LT2 and drops out of the bidding for the #2 spot, etc. Some guys like to draft in the middle and depending on who is taken before that get aggresive in bidding they know they get the guy they are target, but for a price. It was a fun way to set the order of the serpentine and it added probably around $70 or so to bump up the kitty for the prize money at the end.

Maybe you could talk your fellow owners into this situation, as it is fair... fun... adds to the kitty and lets everyone pick the player they want along with the draft position they want. Some of the cheaper owners will likely wait until the end of the first round to prevent coming out of pocket for additional cash, but that decision is completely up to them. :D