[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Tatum

Roo

:D I'll say his name again... Olandis Gary. :D

Translation: "I was a Denver RB and did pretty good, but not great. Then I signed with the Lions."

OH SNAP! Oliandis did wind up with the Lions...forgot about that.

So...the Lions just forgot about that one, huh? Was Millen the GM when they got Gary?? I don't think so...darn.

Edited by Sturphy

OH SNAP! Oliandis did wind up with the Lions...forgot about that.

So...the Lions just forgot about that one, huh? Was Millen the GM when they got Gary?? I don't think so...darn.

Gary was acquired in 2003. Millen came aboard the Lions in 2001.

I'm wondering why Sporting News is suddenly the final authority on Lions football... Last time I checked, MLive was way better when dealing with the Lions...

Because it's the same dude, Tom "Killer" Kowalski, writing all the Lions stuff for both publications.

Peace

policy

Ok so with this news:

The Sporting News is reporting that Lions RB Kevin Jones is expected to remain on the PUP list and miss the first six weeks of the regular season. Despite Jones' recovery being ahead of schedule, the team wants to be very cautious with his return.

PROS:

Unquestioned starter (20+ carries?), 6 games probably longer

His first point is questioned. KJ hasn't been ruled out yet. Martz said so himself 2 days ago.

ALLEN PARK -- Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz is expecting injured tailback Kevin Jones to return by the start of the regular season.

The prognosis for Jones' return has been up in the air since late last season, when he sustained a severe injury to his left foot. There has been speculation that Jones will miss at least the first six games of the season.

However, Martz said Wednesday that he thinks Jones will be ready to play when the Lions play at Oakland on Sept. 9.

"Yeah, I do," Martz said after practice Wednesday. "I think we're all optimistic about that. I think Kevin is, too. He's making good progress, and we're all anxious to have him back."

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0449/1126/rss14

Did a little more evaluation of Bell's numbers from last year.

He had 15 or more rushing attempts in nine games in 2006.

In those nine games, he rushed for 80 or more yards seven times.

Of those seven times over 80 yards, he only once had a carry for 50+ yards (and twice over 30 yards).

Seems pretty respectable to me. It doesn't seem like it was 1 yard for 10 straight plays and then a 60 yard gallup at all.

Well documented:

Tatum Bell, carries 1-10 in a game 5.42 ypc

Tatum Bell, carries 11+ in a game 3.65 ypc

That's a 33% drop in production when Bell goes over 10 carries in a game. Add that to his extraordinary amount of 2 yd or less runs (almost 50% in his career) and you have a RB who is physically capable of only being a CoP RB - and that's in a state-of-the-art running system in the NFL.

If any team and/or FF owner is expecting anything out of Bell as a featured RB, they are going to be sorely disappointed.

Was his success a product of the system? Maybe. But Denver was also starting a rookie QB for a lot of the year and people weren't exactly fearful of the passing game.

Cutler started less than 1/3rd of the games last season and came damn close to throwing 2 TD passes a game when he did start.

Lions OC Martz: RB K. Jones Will Be Ready

Mike O'Hara, Detroit News

Despite reports that Lions RB Kevin Jones could miss the first six weeks of the season while on the PUP list for his injured foot, OC Mike Martz believes Jones will be ready for the season opener. "I think we're all optimistic about that. I think Kevin is, too. He's making good progress, and we're all anxious to have him back," Martz said. Martz did not, however guarantee Jones would retain his starting role, saying he would have to earn it like everyone else.

Rolling the bones when trying to find bang for buck in a late RB pick, Tater has a good opportunity to hit paydirt. Mulling over past stats on different teams is an indicator, but ya never know what's gonna happen on a new team. The real upside is what the coaches are saying about him, which is positive, so even if he's drafted as trade bait he's worth a gamble where the ADP is. Conversely, I don't see Kevin Jones as a good value where his ADP is.

Edited by Thews40

Well documented:

Tatum Bell, carries 1-10 in a game 5.42 ypc

Tatum Bell, carries 11+ in a game 3.65 ypc

That's a 33% drop in production when Bell goes over 10 carries in a game. Add that to his extraordinary amount of 2 yd or less runs (almost 50% in his career) and you have a RB who is physically capable of only being a CoP RB - and that's in a state-of-the-art running system in the NFL.

Where do those numbers come from? Is that career production?

He had 12 or more carries in every game he played last year . . . averaged over 4.0 ypc in all but four games. This includes good performances against the Ravens, Raiders, and Chargers.

http://www.nfl.com/players/tatumbell/gamel...amp;season=2006

I do agree with your assertion that he's not physically capable of being a workhorse RB. However, give the guy 15 touches a game and I think he'll get you close to 100 yards.

Where do those numbers come from? Is that career production?

Yes, those are career numbers, but his 2006 numbers are consistent with his career numbers - excpet that his production in carries 1-10 was lower last year than in his career (I'm guessing the homeruns make less of an impact as he amasses more & more carries).

2006 stats:

carries 1-10 5.02 ypc

carries 11+ 3.61 ypc

Edited by Bronco Billy

Yes, those are career numbers, but his 2006 numbers are consistent with his career numbers - excpet that his production in carries 1-10 was lower last year than in his career (I'm guessing the homeruns make less of an impact as he amasses more & more carries).

2006 stats:

carries 1-10 5.02 ypc

carries 11+ 3.61 ypc

ahhh....i got you. You're talking about his first 10 carries vs. his 11th carry and beyond. Makes sense.

Kevin Jones To Be Ready by Week 1

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz is expecting injured RB Kevin Jones to return by the start of the regular season. Jones is on the PUP list but does participate in team drills. Martz said Jones will have to earn his starting job back but he should be healthy enough to play in week 1. All this does is muddy the waters in the Detroit RB situation for us fantasy players. Just when it seemed like Tatum Bell was climbing the rankings, now Kevin Jones is good to go. I recommend drafting both of them or neither of them. If you draft just one of them, make sure you have plenty of other backs.

DET - Lions OC Martz: RB K. Jones Will Be Ready

Source: Mike O'Hara, Detroit News

Despite reports that Lions RB Kevin Jones could miss the first six weeks of the season while on the PUP list for his injured foot, OC Mike Martz believes Jones will be ready for the season opener. "I think we're all optimistic about that. I think Kevin is, too. He's making good progress, and we're all anxious to have him back," Martz said. Martz did not, however guarantee Jones would retain his starting role, saying he would have to earn it like everyone else.

"He has to come back and compete for his job like everybody else," Martz said. "Nobody has a stake on anything. It's like everywhere else. He's got to come back and get back in football shape and compete with all the other backs in that spot.

"You can't plan this stuff. You just cannot plan. What you have to do is wait, get him back, and you take one step at a time. As soon as you make these plans, these plans start getting broken."

This was part of a Martz interview where he also spoke highly of RB Tatum Bell. It sounds like Martz is hopeful Jones could be ready but it's still up in the air. Martz is hopeful but we're all hopeful.

Kevin Jones To Be Ready by Week 1

Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz is expecting injured RB Kevin Jones to return by the start of the regular season. Jones is on the PUP list but does participate in team drills. Martz said Jones will have to earn his starting job back but he should be healthy enough to play in week 1. All this does is muddy the waters in the Detroit RB situation for us fantasy players. Just when it seemed like Tatum Bell was climbing the rankings, now Kevin Jones is good to go. I recommend drafting both of them or neither of them. If you draft just one of them, make sure you have plenty of other backs.

DET - Lions OC Martz: RB K. Jones Will Be Ready

Source: Mike O'Hara, Detroit News

"He has to come back and compete for his job like everybody else," Martz said. "Nobody has a stake on anything. It's like everywhere else. He's got to come back and get back in football shape and compete with all the other backs in that spot.

"You can't plan this stuff. You just cannot plan. What you have to do is wait, get him back, and you take one step at a time. As soon as you make these plans, these plans start getting broken."

This was part of a Martz interview where he also spoke highly of RB Tatum Bell. It sounds like Martz is hopeful Jones could be ready but it's still up in the air. Martz is hopeful but we're all hopeful.

Sounds like a RBBC for the first couple of weeks of the season, with KJ becoming more and more involved and taking over as the workhorse again by Week 3.

Tatum, we hardly knew ye. :D