[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Edge

BOARHOGZ

So, the ADP's got Edge at the end of the 2nd round, this is after Portis, MJD, and McGahee. (I think he's either in a better situation or has more talent than thee guys) With his talent and considering he's only a few years removed from being top 3-5, and the new coach, how's this for value? Just fishing for some opinions on this. I think he's way off the radar for a lot of people and has the potential to go top 10 versus the projected #17 RB.

What about in a PPR vs. Standard scoring league?

Thoughts......

So, the ADP's got Edge at the end of the 2nd round, this is after Portis, MJD, and McGahee. (I think he's either in a better situation or has more talent than thee guys) With his talent and considering he's only a few years removed from being top 3-5, and the new coach, how's this for value? Just fishing for some opinions on this. I think he's way off the radar for a lot of people and has the potential to go top 10 versus the projected #17 RB.

Thoughts......

First of all of those you mentioned I think he is in the worst situation. In fact you could argue he went from one of the best situations in Indy to one of the worst in the Cards. Secondly "only a few years removed from being top 3-5" can be a huge dropoff for RBs in the NFL. He may not be sharing carries like some others but the O-Line may be only slightly improved and Edge is another year older. That said he's close to Portis and McGahee on my list but a bit behind MJD.

Tend to agree that he is slightly undervalued. Has some good things in his favor, and was showing flashes at the end of last year. Things could click this year. I definately like him more than Portis, probably MacGahee, not MJD.

So, the ADP's got Edge at the end of the 2nd round, this is after Portis, MJD, and McGahee. (I think he's either in a better situation or has more talent than thee guys)

Thoughts......

Portis is a year removed from being a top 3 back. He'll be fine, so I wouldn't put Edge ahead of him. McGahee is going to have a much better year than last by default with that defense, and MJD will score more TD's than all of them.

I think the Cardinals are on the right track, but its not going to happen this year.

I like Edge this year, BUT...it's starting to look like Shipp will be the short yardage back. Ruh-roh. He looks pretty good doing it so far too. At least against the Raiders. If Arrington finally proves his worth as a 3rd down back, and the carries (and passes) are spread out more than last year....

Edge is a Cardinal. Period. No way he will finish above anybody on that list if he is healthy. He was a top back for a top offense. He is now a very mediocre back on a very bad running offense. I wouldn't even take him at 17.

1. MJD- young with a nice upside. If it wasn't for Taylor hanging around, he might be a top 6 RB.

2. Edge- I'm willing to give him one more chance to put up top 10 numbers, but don't want him as my RB1 this year.

3.McGahee- Better team for him. He could regain top form and I'd take a chance on him before....

4.Portis- Just tired of this guy breaking down a little bit here and there, and now Betts is coming in stealing carries. I am not alone as I have done 3 drafts and watched Portis slip into very late 2nd and 3rd rounds.

(this is for a PPR)

Edited by TDFFFreak

1. MJD- young with a nice upside. If it wasn't for Taylor hanging around, he might be a top 6 RB.

2. Edge- I'm willing to give him one more chance to put up top 10 numbers, but don't want him as my RB1 this year.

3.McGahee- Better team for him. He could regain top form and I'd take a chance on him before....

4.Portis- Just tired of this guy breaking down a little bit here and there, and now Betts is coming in stealing carries. I am not alone as I have done 3 drafts and watched Portis slip into very late 2nd and 3rd rounds.

(this is for a PPR)

1. MJD is the backup to Fred Taylor.

3. When has McGahee been in top form outside of half a season his rookie year? He's broken down plenty of times too.

4. Portis was a top 5 back last year heading into drafts... He had to unrelated injuries, and a minor problem thats going away. Betts isn't stealing carries, rather, they finally have someone that can give Portis a breather. Portis is not a 350 carry guy. He should get around 260 which will keep him fresh.

I'm glad that you are all low on Portis... I've got him in all but one league, and even then, I wanted to switch it up just to do so.

1. MJD is the backup to Fred Taylor.

3. When has McGahee been in top form outside of half a season his rookie year? He's broken down plenty of times too.

4. Portis was a top 5 back last year heading into drafts... He had to unrelated injuries, and a minor problem thats going away. Betts isn't stealing carries, rather, they finally have someone that can give Portis a breather. Portis is not a 350 carry guy. He should get around 260 which will keep him fresh.

I'm glad that you are all low on Portis... I've got him in all but one league, and even then, I wanted to switch it up just to do so.

Personal prefrence... I don't know about you, but I like the younger upside guys for my RBs if I have to have a starting RB that will share some carries (hence MJD over Portis).

What I do know is that I want my RB1 and RB2 to be sharing as little as possible and to be close to that 300+ carry guy. Rudi, Henry, James are all guys who have a better chance at fulfilling that role for me. I think we will see a bit more of a RBBC approach in Washington that those who draft Portis don't want to see. Just my opinion.

Personal prefrence... I don't know about you, but I like the younger upside guys for my RBs if I have to have a starting RB that will share some carries (hence MJD over Portis).

What I do know is that I want my RB1 and RB2 to be sharing as little as possible and to be close to that 300+ carry guy. Rudi, Henry, James are all guys who have a better chance at fulfilling that role for me. I think we will see a bit more of a RBBC approach in Washington that those who draft Portis don't want to see. Just my opinion.

Portis is younger than Rudi, Henry and James by years...

Portis will also be closer to 300 than MJD, as Taylor is still the starter there.

I also think you're insane if you believe the Travis Henry being the sole back in Denver. Henry will have to score all of his td's from 20 out anyways, as Mike Bell is getting those.

We'll see a mild form of RBBC... I see Betts getting about 120 carries to Portis' 260, which is optimum for him.

Time will tell though.

Portis is younger than Rudi, Henry and James by years...Portis will also be closer to 300 than MJD, as Taylor is still the starter there.

I also think you're insane if you believe the Travis Henry being the sole back in Denver. Henry will have to score all of his td's from 20 out anyways, as Mike Bell is getting those.

We'll see a mild form of RBBC... I see Betts getting about 120 carries to Portis' 260, which is optimum for him.

Time will tell though.

I understand that, but outside of Henry (who is a bit of a question mark with Shanny there), I think Rudi and Edge are the go to guys in their team's running game. What I was saying is that I'd rather have that definitive #1 role RB (despite age) than a possible RBBC, 60/40 (or even 70/30) split of carries which I think we are looking at with Portis/Betts. MJD is the exception to that rule because he is so explosive, catches a ton of passes, and Taylor has a significant injury history.

Thoughts......

Cardinals season ticket holder here. Edge has been pedestrian since the moment he came here. He left the best situation in Indy. If you're looking for the #'s from Edge (or anywhere close to them) from Indy, you're going to be very disappointed.

Marcell Shipp looked very solid (to say the least) in the 1st preseason game. He certainly showed the explosiveness that Edge hasn't shown in his year+ here. Shipp will be a big part of the running game (at the very least, goal line back).

To tell you the truth, I'd be surprised if Edge duplicates his #'s of a year ago. I see Shipp/Arrington playing a larger part this year and easing the load of Edge (which will in turn hopefully keep him fresh)I just hope he can increase the horrendous YPC (something like 3.4 ypc last year).

I personally think McGahee's head and shoulders above Edge for 2007. You probably can make an argument on the other 2. Talent wise, I believe the other 2 are superior to James. (Which is why I'd take them before Edge)

To tell you the truth, I'd be surprised if Edge duplicates his #'s of a year ago. I see Shipp/Arrington playing a larger part this year and easing the load of Edge (which will in turn hopefully keep him fresh)I just hope he can increase the horrendous YPC (something like 3.4 ypc last year).

I personally think McGahee's head and shoulders above Edge for 2007. You probably can make an argument on the other 2. Talent wise, I believe the other 2 are superior to James. (Which is why I'd take them before Edge)

no way I take McGahee over Edge- period. I think Edge bounces back and has a nice year- and yes I think he is undervalued.

One thing you gotta remember is these guys show alot more quickness, explosivness 2yrs++ after blowing out a knee. I think , hope he bounces back

Edited by wildcat2334

Man, he has a ton of mileage on his chassis - 8 years of pounding work & in the top 7 in carries over each the past 3 years. His ypc dropped through the floor after going to AZ, and despite the coaching changes, I can't see anyone being capable of making enough of an impact in the AZ line to get him back up to 4.4 ypc.

That said, if he can get close to the Mason-Dixon line for RBs (4.0 ypc) and his workload stays the same, he ought to be a very good #2 FF RB, with a possibility of barely sneaking into the top 10. That said - he's got a ways to go to get to that 4.0 ypc, and he ain't getting any younger...

I think you're looking at a solid middle of the road #2 RB here.

Edited by Bronco Billy

I understand that, but outside of Henry (who is a bit of a question mark with Shanny there), I think Rudi and Edge are the go to guys in their team's running game. What I was saying is that I'd rather have that definitive #1 role RB (despite age) than a possible RBBC, 60/40 (or even 70/30) split of carries which I think we are looking at with Portis/Betts. MJD is the exception to that rule because he is so explosive, catches a ton of passes, and Taylor has a significant injury history.

OK, so Edge is supposed to be there go to guy... Why is the coaching staff talking about Shipp being the short yardage guy and hoping Arrington could get some third down work? They don't want Edge wearing down, so I'd expect both of those guys to get a lot more touches than you guys are thinking... I also think any of the runningbacks listed would benefit from a 70/30 share of the load. The only runningbacks that I would exclude from that statement would be Larry Johnson for maybe another year, Steven Jackson, and fantasy god LDT.

The Bungles brought in Chris Perry and Kenny Irons to take some of the burden off of Rudi Johnson. They've been unable to do that because they can't find any back that can stay on the field even in a limited role. Rudi is wearing down fast, and its because of this...

I'll keep Portis with 70 percent of the touches and being fresh inside of the ten rather than Portis at 90% of the touches and worn down. Portis had his best seasons while sharing the load. Not a 50/50 share, but a 70/30 is the way to go...

I've been saying for the past five years that Edge isn't anything special and that his recent success was simply a product of playing for the Colts. I had to eat a little crow when he was a top five fantasy back during the 2005 season, but overall, I haven't seen overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Having said that, you've got to respect any back that's going to get the majority of the work for his team. Wisenhunt himself said that they could run over 500 times this season and that there's no way that James is going to get all of those carries. That's where Shipp comes in. He will definitely be involved this year, but I still think James will get close to 300 carries. Any competent running back (and James is certainly competent) should put up decent RB2 numbers with that much work.

So yeah...late second round actually sounds about right to me. Low risk, but also low reward.

OK, so Edge is supposed to be there go to guy... Why is the coaching staff talking about Shipp being the short yardage guy and hoping Arrington could get some third down work? They don't want Edge wearing down, so I'd expect both of those guys to get a lot more touches than you guys are thinking... I also think any of the runningbacks listed would benefit from a 70/30 share of the load. The only runningbacks that I would exclude from that statement would be Larry Johnson for maybe another year, Steven Jackson, and fantasy god LDT.

The Bungles brought in Chris Perry and Kenny Irons to take some of the burden off of Rudi Johnson. They've been unable to do that because they can't find any back that can stay on the field even in a limited role. Rudi is wearing down fast, and its because of this...

I'll keep Portis with 70 percent of the touches and being fresh inside of the ten rather than Portis at 90% of the touches and worn down. Portis had his best seasons while sharing the load. Not a 50/50 share, but a 70/30 is the way to go...

I understand what you are saying, but the bolded statement is where I disagree. For a redraft league, I want the guy who is going to be the man with little worry going into the season of a guy really stealing a lot of carries. While Edge has Shipp to lookover his shoulders, I think it's a forgone conclusion that Betts get his fair share. I believe injury is the only real risk by getting more carries, but I'll take that risk over what looks like a modified RBBC situation.

We shall see... FWIW, the only guy of the bunch who I really Ilike is MJD.

Edited by TDFFFreak