[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Which is better, paying out the most for highest points of the year, or paying the most to the SB winner?

Thews40

Payou SB winner vs. highest total points  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better, paying out the most for highest points of the year, or paying the most to the SB winner?

• Pay SB most/everything
    • Pay highest point total the most

I think highest points takes the most skill and should be paid for it. I went 11-1 and lost my first plaoff game the first year I played FF. You can always have a down week and get spanked by a no-name team that had the high of the year against you. How does your league pay out?

My main

45% - Highest total points

30% - 2nd highest in points

20% - SB winner

5% - other

I think highest points takes the most skill and should be paid for it. I went 11-1 and lost my first plaoff game the first year I played FF. You can always have a down week and get spanked by a no-name team that had the high of the year against you. How does your league pay out?

My main

20% - SB winner

5% - other

Even though winning the SuperBowl means you are the champ...there are a lot of factors that could make an otherise third place team beat the heavy favorite. Last year our Superbowl was week 16 and LT had broken the record in week 15. The Chargers played him for a half and poof....I lost by 13 points in the Superbowl....yet, noone was within 300 points(IDP) of me for total for the year...what did I get for diminating......ZERO. I like your payout above....maybe 35% highest points, 25 2nd highest points, 20% SB champ, then split the remaining 20% up amongst the division winners.

My main

20% - SB winner

5% - other

Sorry it seems like I'm folllowing you around these boards Thews. Just happened that I replied to 2 of your posts, pure coincidence.

Now getting to your point. What do NFL teams play for? The ultimate prize. To be Superbowl champs. Yes, any team can get hot in the playoffs and knock out the favorite, but that's part of the game. Why would we watch if we already knew? Now FF is alot similar IMO. You can have an average team and do everything in your power all season to remain competitive and make the playoffs. Then you have a dream week and knock off the #1 seed. So be it. That's football and that's FF also. Now I do agree to give the highest scorer a bonus of some sort, but not most of the cashflow. We had a team in one of my locals a couple years back that went 13-1. Just a 10 team league and yours truly ended the regular season 7-7. I beat him and he went home with nothing as he lost the 3rd place game also. So we decided after that to give the team with the best record a bonus the following year.

Now the team with the most points more than likely will make the playoffs and more than likely play in the SB. But there is that fluke possibility that he just so happens to play guys that score more than him quite a few weeks and he doesn't even make the playoffs. Yes, this is extreme but I've seen it happen. Just the luck of the schedule and who you're playing that particular week.

SB should get the most, no doubt. However, they got there they managed to take it all. Regardless of how many points scored you had all season, if you lost the final game, you shouldn't be paid the most. That's part of the game, it's one thing that makes FF so great. Any Given Sunday...

The HTP owner should get something but not a great deal, somethng equivalent to what the 3rd place team gets. If you'd rather use points as the determining factor change the rules and type of league. Everyone just puts a lineup in and at the end of 16 weeks the owner with the highest points wins the money. However I like the AGS method.

Edited by irish

seems pretty evident to me :D

in a HTH league the SB Champ should get the biggest chunk of change

in a Total Points league then the team with the highest points should get the biggest chunk of change

Edited by keggerz

Sorry it seems like I'm folllowing you around these boards Thews. Just happened that I replied to 2 of your posts, pure coincidence.

Now getting to your point. What do NFL teams play for? The ultimate prize. To be Superbowl champs. Yes, any team can get hot in the playoffs and knock out the favorite, but that's part of the game. Why would we watch if we already knew? Now FF is alot similar IMO. You can have an average team and do everything in your power all season to remain competitive and make the playoffs. Then you have a dream week and knock off the #1 seed. So be it. That's football and that's FF also. Now I do agree to give the highest scorer a bonus of some sort, but not most of the cashflow. We had a team in one of my locals a couple years back that went 13-1. Just a 10 team league and yours truly ended the regular season 7-7. I beat him and he went home with nothing as he lost the 3rd place game also. So we decided after that to give the team with the best record a bonus the following year.

Now the team with the most points more than likely will make the playoffs and more than likely play in the SB. But there is that fluke possibility that he just so happens to play guys that score more than him quite a few weeks and he doesn't even make the playoffs. Yes, this is extreme but I've seen it happen. Just the luck of the schedule and who you're playing that particular week.

Well said Jax!! :D

SB should get the most, no doubt. However, they got there they managed to take it all. Regardless of how many points scored you had all season, if you lost the final game, you shouldn't be paid the most. That's part of the game, it's one thing that makes FF so great. Any Given Sunday...

The HTP owner should get something but not a great deal, somethng equivalent to what the 3rd place team gets. If you'd rather use points as the determining factor change the rules and type of league. Everyone just puts a lineup in and at the end of 16 weeks the owner with the highest points wins the money. However I like the AGS method.

OK, then lets play the SuperBowl in week 13 when I am guaranteed to have my full strenght team barring injury. I don't think you give enough justice to a team who has dominating players whose coach decides to sit them in week 16 cause they have nothing left to play for. That isn't luck....that is BADLUCK!!!!!!

OK, then lets play the SuperBowl in week 13 when I am guaranteed to have my full strenght team barring injury. I don't think you give enough justice to a team who has dominating players whose coach decides to sit them in week 16 cause they have nothing left to play for. That isn't luck....that is BADLUCK!!!!!!

you could always try to have your SB in week 1since players will all be in better shape and there will be less injuries to worry about too....most leagues went to 16 game schedules because of players sitting...if you have a player from a team that might sit a the end of the season you should be a good enough owner to plan for that.

what it sounds like is a bunch of people that dont like playing in HTH leagues and that is fine if thats what you want...but if you are going to play in a HTH league then quit crying :D

Edited by keggerz

And that's also why you have something called DEPTH. :D

So be it. Luck is part of FF. Good and bad. It should be part of your drafting plan.

and total points isnt really the best indicator for dominance....why is that? because a player like lee evans could score 45 pts a few weeks and really put up meaningless points for a team..the best indicator would probably be ALL PLAY

seems pretty evident to me :D

in a HTH league the SB Champ should get the biggest chunk of change

in a Total Points league then the team with the highest points should get the biggest chunk of change

bingo....

in a head to head, you can reward teams for high points for the week, and the season with payouts too so they aren't walking away empty handed.... the nfl doesn't hand out the lombardi to the team that scores the most in the season, you have to win your games

Football is the game we are dealing with. It is all about winning. Making a wonderful team of available assets with skillful re-darafting, buying or saving of players from year to year are after all, just wonderful variations of the real thing. We love it that way and it makes a challenge that most folks like us can't live without. However, you must win if you want to win at football. Dealing with weather, injuries, indoor stadiums and ridiculous decisions by coaches and bad calls are what make it the fantstic game that it is today. Not many games are won by giant point totals, one more score is all it takes to win and to win that final game against another topdog is where it is at in both fantasy football and real football. Having all your players do really well in your matchups is super fun but it is no more a part of our game than having Vinnie Testaverde throw for for five touchdowns in one game and beat a good team silly.

I like the biggest payout to go to the Fantasy Bowl winner, however, the more I play fantasy over the years, I think the regular season, high points scorer should be rewarded almost equally to the fantasy bowl winner.

Ultimately, they should at worst be equal, but as a purist, the total points winner (in a head to head league) should never be rewarded with more money then the fantasy bowl winner.

Edited by TDFFFreak

That is a good point Jax and I understand where you’re coming from, but if you know ahead of time it’s total points then a player like Lee Evans has more value. The other thing to consider is money. In a $30 league, there just isn’t enough of it, so I agree that splitting it up too much makes for too little, so a SB winner is the best choice. In my main, which is $100, everyone plays every other team once through games 1-11. In weeks 12 and 13, the division winners (two divisions of 6 top four) get byes, and the lowest 8 plays head-to-head for a combined total of weeks 12 and 13. The “real” playoffs start in week 14 and finish in week 16. Everyone makes the playoffs for two guaranteed games… it’s a hoot. No matter how bad you’ve been, you at least have a shot in weeks 12 and 13. It’s different, but since the SB doesn’t pay all that much, it’s not that big of a deal. We’ve had teams that went 3-8 win the SB. It’s just a different way to play the game, but it always makes for a fun year, and the best part is no one ever throws in the towel… they have two playoff games guaranteed, so everyone always tries.

I lost a SB when Brad Johnson was pulled in the first quarter in week 17 (played for the skins). All that work, all those waiver moves and success, and all I needed was about 7 points from him. He scored me 5 and sat on the bench. That was the most painful game I've ever watched. I agree that SB’s should be played in week 16, but still, it’s luck at that point in a lot of cases, where total points is skill.

it's always been the case that when teams lock up their division, playoff entry, and homefield.... they rest starters.....championship in week 17 is a disaster. luck will always play a factor, but back in the old days, you knew montana, young, rice, emmitt, kelley, thomas, reed... were not going to play much late in season.

On my local we give the team with the reagular season high points their entry fee back. They are usually in the playoffs anyways but it does reward them for putting a great team out there each week, ie picking the best starters, finding FA's to plug in the bye weeks and most important drafting well.

As it has been stated above, HTH should reward the Superbowl winner. I had the best record and most points but lost to a team tat went 7-7 during the regular season..his team got hot and LT, Brees and co. pissed down their legs for me! That is FF.

In our league:

40% of $$$ goes to SB champ

5% goes to SB loser

30% goes to total point champ

5% goes to 2nd in total points

10% goes to each divsion winner

Inevitably, the money always falls into the most deserving hands...but if an 8-8 team that snuck into the playoffs manages a great run to the SB, they SHOULD be awarded the SB prize...good for them!

I think that the lion's share should go to the SB winner, a decent amout to the runner up and maybe a little something to the team with the highest points.

I'm in a league that doesn't pay out for total points at the end of the year, but gives a nominal sum ($25) to the weekly high score, which I think is interesting, particularly since it provides a little incentive in the mid- to late- year to someone who is not in contention for the playoffs.

the super bowl winner is about 90% luck :D . the points winner is about 60% luck. why would anyone want to be the winner of something that is 90% luck??? :D

The superbowl winner in real football is generally one of the top teams from the season. Pretty much all the teams in ff football that get into the playoffs have an equal chance of winning. In my league in the last 8 years the points winner (which it's hard to argue was not the best ensembled team) has not even gone to the super bowl. You can't say that in real football. The generally considered best teams entering the playoffs many times end up in the real superbowl.

The bottom line is: for all the time and effort I spend creating a good fantasy team, the more that skill is emphasized and the less that pure luck is emphasized, the better.

Basically, I have little respect for ff super bowl winners since any dork can luck out and win....this seldom happen with the points winner :wacko:

the super bowl winner is about 90% luck :D . the points winner is about 60% luck. why would anyone want to be the winner of something that is 90% luck??? :D

The superbowl winner in real football is generally one of the top teams from the season. Pretty much all the teams in ff football that get into the playoffs have an equal chance of winning. In my league in the last 8 years the points winner (which it's hard to argue was not the best ensembled team) has not even gone to the super bowl. You can't say that in real football. The generally considered best teams entering the playoffs many times end up in the real superbowl.

The bottom line is: for all the time and effort I spend creating a good fantasy team, the more that skill is emphasized and the less that pure luck is emphasized, the better.

Basically, I have little respect for ff super bowl winners since any dork can luck out and win....this seldom happen with the points winner :wacko:

Actually, FF itself is 90% luck. Youre lucky to not have major injuries during the season. If you dont like HTH rules, then play in a total points league. :wacko:

Actually, FF itself is 90% luck. Youre lucky to not have major injuries during the season. If you dont like HTH rules, then play in a total points league. :D

I DO play in a total points league :wacko: .......we also have a super bowl winner but they get little credit and little money compared to the total points winner (and the true league champ!!)......and if all of ff is 90% luck, then how do u explain one team in my league winning the points championship 3 of the last 6 years? (btw, 10 of the 12 teams are not ff morons either...it's a good league) .... it's all luck to u because u are in a league with the super bowl winner getting all the acalades...try a total points league and u may change your tune on the 90% luck thing......every year basically the same teams are in the top 5 in total points and and the same 5 are at the bottom in total points......who knows who the super bowl winner ends up being (could be anyone who gets very lucky the last 3 weeks) :D

Why not just run an "all play" league, which is an even better measure of the best team than total points?

I'll tell you why....

Because luck is inherent to fantasy football. The season is not necessarily a measure of what the best team is. Being the best team puts you in a position to win, but as they say pretty much everywhere...that's why they play the games.