[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats lock up Ty Warren long term

charty

This displays the "value" the Partriots put on D-Line (Warren, Seymour) vs DB (Samuel, Law, Milloy).

This is a good signing, Warren was in the last year of his contract and was making small money. It was anticipated that Warren would be next year's Samuel, so it's nice that the contract is out of the way.

Warren analysis

By Mike Reiss, Globe Staff

ANALYSIS

It takes two sides to make a deal.

That is the underlying theme of the Patriots and defensive end Ty Warren reaching a contract extension through 2011.

The Patriots wanted Warren and made the initial move to spark negotiations. Meanwhile, Warren decided he wanted to remain with the Patriots and was willing to work with the team at the negotiating table.

Had Warren's agents counter-offered with figures that the Patriots deemed off the charts, the talks probably would have died at that point (e.g. Asante Samuel). But Warren, with the aid of his wife Kesha, made the decision that staying in New England was a top priority.

So while he could have played out his contract through 2008, Warren had little desire to go that route once contract talks got moving in the forward direction. The combination of financial security and remaining in a place that he's grown to appreciate trumped the desire for a potentially richer deal he could receive as a free agent down the road.

In the end, it comes down to what often makes a negotiation result in a deal. Both sides were committed to seeing it through, and sacrificed.

The Patriots are giving Warren $18 million in guarantees (based on player's union calculations) when they could have had him for $1.075 million in 2007 and $1.45 million in 2008 (the 2008 salary would have been bumped up due to incentives).

Meanwhile, Warren gave up the chance to earn more money sometime after the 2008 season (he could have been hit with the franchise tag after his deal expired in '08), when the salary cap would be increasing and the prices for defensive linemen would seemingly still be rising.

As agent Vann McElroy said on Thursday night, "Both sides had the same goal. We were both willing, and it got done.”

i think richard seymour is without question the most versatile and best defensive lineman in the league....and i think last year warren was almost right there with him...warren was pretty much unblockable one on one last year....and i think that with the adalius thomas addition...it makes this defense so much more dangerous....seymour and warren commanding double teams, with thomas blitzing from the inside linebacker spot....maybe vrabel coming from the outside too on certain downs

i think warren and logan mankins have a real good shot to get to the pro bowl this year

i think richard seymour is without question the most versatile and best defensive lineman in the league....and i think last year warren was almost right there with him...warren was pretty much unblockable one on one last year....and i think that with the adalius thomas addition...it makes this defense so much more dangerous....seymour and warren commanding double teams, with thomas blitzing from the inside linebacker spot....maybe vrabel coming from the outside too on certain downs

i think warren and logan mankins have a real good shot to get to the pro bowl this year

Definetely. I like the Broncos secondary but am scared about generating pressure. Patriots look very scary.