[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Marshawn

Sturphy

From ESPN:

Jauron: "We'd like to have a running back by committee. When we come out of preseason, we'll have a better idea of who is going to get the bulk of the carries, but we really don't want one person having over 300 carries. Like everybody else, our goal is to get to the postseason, and if we can achieve that, we'd like to have our runners as fresh as possible."

I've never been as high as everyone else on Marshawn this season. My questions have been about their brutal schedule, and Marshawn's ability to carry the load all by himself (he had about %50 of the rushing carries at Cal last season). Now, his coach comes out and confirms that he'll be in a RBBC scenario. He may not even wind up the #1 in their RBBC.

So, basically, Marshawn could get 299 carries and Jauron would still have his RBBC. Okay, then. :D

They drafted the dude at #12 overall for a reason. They like him a lot. Are they going to tell the media, "Yep -- he was a good college player, so we're definitely going to run him into the ground from the get-go. We've got a few other guys here who think they have a shot at some playing time, but that's pretty much all for show. Marshawn will probably get between 350 and 375 carries. Oh yeah -- do us a favor and don't tell Marshawn. Or A-Train. Or even Dwayne Wright. Like most teams, we always prefer to keep up the pretense of competition at every position."

:D

Lynch has had an excellent camp. Guess who's starting tonight.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

So, basically, Marshawn could get 299 carries and Fassel would still have his RBBC. Okay, then. :D

Yeah, it could all be smoke. But, it's worth noting.

Edit: I'm curious now about Jauron's history at Chicago...was he RBBC in his HC years there?

Edited by Sturphy

Jauron has made it clear that he wants RBBC. He is still a big fan of Anthony Thomas, and remembers that big season he had in Chicago. He said as much on Sirus NFL during a training camp interview. I don't see it being a 50/50 split, but I would not be surprised to see 60/40 split with Thomas getting 40%. Thomas could be a decent late round RB to take in deeper leagues.

I am a massive Bills fan and I am not high on the guy. As an individual talent, yes - as a FF contributor, no.

Bad offense, tough schedule, at least a 75/25 RBBC (in my opinion), rookie, defense will stack against the run, will be playing from behind alot....

That said, I think he's worth a gamble on the right roster. I've heard good reports out of Buffalo, and I can see Losman dumping it off to him alot, so he has some decent PPR value. I like him in a flex spot, but you might be getting a JJ Arrington.

I am a massive Bills fan and I am not high on the guy. As an individual talent, yes - as a FF contributor, no.

Bad offense, tough schedule, at least a 75/25 RBBC (in my opinion), rookie, defense will stack against the run, will be playing from behind alot....

That said, I think he's worth a gamble on the right roster. I've heard good reports out of Buffalo, and I can see Losman dumping it off to him alot, so he has some decent PPR value. I like him in a flex spot, but you might be getting a JJ Arrington.

What makes you think they have a bad offense? They shored up there line and Losman is looking sharp....He will do well, but it will take time. Look for a big second half from Lynch.

Jauron has made it clear that he wants RBBC. He is still a big fan of Anthony Thomas, and remembers that big season he had in Chicago. He said as much on Sirus NFL during a training camp interview. I don't see it being a 50/50 split, but I would not be surprised to see 60/40 split with Thomas getting 40%. Thomas could be a decent late round RB to take in deeper leagues.

I've heard this, too, of course. But the theory misses two important points: 1) It assumes A-Train can still be effective as an NFL runner. He's shown NOTHING since 2003 (3.2 yards per carry on 272 carries from '04 to '06). He's going to be 30 in November. 2) If he IS as effective as Jauron seems to think he can be, then why would they take Lynch at 12th overall?? They passed on Timmons, Beason, Revis, Hall, etc., and selected a runner instead. If all they wanted was a 180-carry complement to A-Train, they could have gotten K. Irons, B. Jackson, T. Hunt, L. Booker, or C. Henry much later. Instead they purposely selected a guy who has the talent to stay on the field for all three downs.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead

What makes you think they have a bad offense? They shored up there line and Losman is looking sharp....He will do well, but it will take time. Look for a big second half from Lynch.

Ok yeah I will roll with that, sort of. This is sink or swim time for Losman. If him, Lynch and Evans are all on their game, then yeah it's an ok offense.

Marshawn will win the carries and make good things happen with them. He is NOT JJ Arrington. He is way more talented than Thomas. Thomas may end up with short yardage carries and maybe a series here or there, but as soon as the Bills have their bad start, Marshawn will get plenty of carries.

I gotta think Marshawn will be the undisputed man in Buffalo.

Comments like the one Jauron made are to me, motivational comments, meant to keep guys like Thomas and whoever the heck else they have from getting down - not truly indicative of what we will see on the field in a real game, where it will clearly and unmistakably be Marshawn's job.

We shall see.

Comments like the one Jauron made are to me, motivational comments, meant to keep guys like Thomas and whoever the heck else they have from getting down - not truly indicative of what we will see on the field in a real game, where it will clearly and unmistakably be Marshawn's job.

We shall see.

Yeah, but if it's a motivation tool, isn't it more common to say it's an open competition for the starting job? I mean he hasn't declared a starter. He's saying it'll be RBBC because that's what they wanna do.

I'm probably reading too much into it, and I see what most of you are saying, but he says: "our goal is to get to the postseason, and if we can achieve that, we'd like to have our runners as fresh as possible". That doesn't bother you if you're drafting Marshawn this year?

Seems like more than just a motivational tool is all.

Yeah, but if it's a motivation tool, isn't it more common to say it's an open competition for the starting job?

In my opinion, because it's not and all the other backs on the team know it's not. Like I said, just my opinion, but it sounds to me like Jauron is throwing the other guys a bone - nothing more.

Now if Lynch just totally sucks, then I retract my opinion, 'cause that's a different story altogether.

They shored up there line...

If by shoring up you mean signing one of the league leaders in false starts (Dockery) to the 3rd largest contract at his position in NFL history. False starts aside, I think Dockery has benefited quite a bit by playing next to 4 time Pro-Bowler, Chris Samuels.

AND signing away an OT (Walker) that made 16 starts on an Oakland OL that allowed a league high 72 sacks...

then yes, they shored up their line.

So, regardless of the talk about RBBC, how has Lynch looked this pre-season so far?

Some plays he has shown good power and great agility, but just on some. Marshawn is trying to bounce alot of plays outside and outrun defenders....and thats not happening as much. What has intrigued me is that Losman has been checking down to Marshawn (albeit unsuccessufly) on busted pass plays enough to lead me to believe that he will get a fair amount of passes. If Marshawn stays in on 3rd downs then I think he has a much better chance of being a solid #2 RB due to his inflated numbers from running draw plays and catching swing passes, etc.

Edited by Pancake

Bills | Lynch expected to see extensive time

Fri, 24 Aug 2007 09:52:42 -0700

Chris Brown, of BuffaloBills.com, reports Buffalo Bills head coach Dick Jauron said he expects to give RB Marshawn Lynch the most action he's seen in the preseason during the team's upcoming preseason game. "If he doesn't start he'll be in there early and play a lot because we need to see him a lot," Jauron said of Lynch. "But he'll be in and out and he'll see most of the action because he needs the most work."