[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Spaghetti Squash

whomper

I have been hooking up my old italian neighbor all summer with stuff from my garden. Me and this guy always send each other food whenever we make something we know the other person likes. So yesterday he comes over with this hugh squash that he called a spaghetti squash. It was the size of a small watermelon. He said his friend grows them in upstate NY. He said to poke about 7 big holes in this thing then cook it at 400 bake for 2 hours. He said the inside looks like spaghetti and its delicious. He suggested some garlic and parmesian cheese. Have any of you ever had this and if so any recommendations on preparation ?

Edited by whomper

I have been hooking up my old italian neighbor all summer with stuff from my garden. Me and this guy always send each other food whenever we make something we know the other person likes. So yesterday he comes over with this hugh squash that he called a spaghetti squash. It was the size of a small watermelon. He said his friend grows them in upstate NY. He said to poke about 7 big holes in this thing then cook it at 400 bake for 2 hours. He said the inside looks like spaghetti and its delicious. He suggested some garlic and parmesian cheese. Have any of you ever had this and if so any recommendations on preparation ?

Whomp, I'll post a great recipe for this this evening.

Spaghetti Squash Boats

1 med. spaghetti squash(2 to 2 1/2lbs.)

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2c. chopped onion

1/2c. chopped green pepper

1/2c. sliced mushrooms

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2t. dried basil

1/2t. dried oregano

1/4t. salt

1/8t. pepper

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained

1/2c. mozzarella cheese

Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2in. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the squash, seperating strands with a fork; set shells and squash aside. In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook and stir for two minutes. Add squash; mix well. Cook uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Fill shells; place in shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

My wife says she uses close to a pound of beef and more mozzarella.

Damn, now I'm hungry for this. :D

We love some Spaghetti Squash. We make it very simple, half the the squash and throw lots of butter in both halves, wrap in tin foil and throw on the grill or bake in the oven. It seem to take about 45 minutes or longer for it to cook at about 400 degrees. Then when we serve we through some cheese on it. I have found that Kaukauna spreadable cheese is pretty darn good on it.

We love some Spaghetti Squash. We make it very simple, half the the squash and throw lots of butter in both halves, wrap in tin foil and throw on the grill or bake in the oven. It seem to take about 45 minutes or longer for it to cook at about 400 degrees. Then when we serve we through some cheese on it. I have found that Kaukauna spreadable cheese is pretty darn good on it.

we do acorn squash like this only in the microwave for 10 minutes . Excellent.

Spaghetti Squash Boats

1 med. spaghetti squash(2 to 2 1/2lbs.)

1/2 lb ground beef

1/2c. chopped onion

1/2c. chopped green pepper

1/2c. sliced mushrooms

1 garlic clove, minced

1/2t. dried basil

1/2t. dried oregano

1/4t. salt

1/8t. pepper

1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes, drained

1/2c. mozzarella cheese

Cut squash in half lengthwise; scoop out seeds. Place squash, cut side down, in a baking dish. Fill pan with hot water to a depth of 1/2in. Bake, uncovered, at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle, scoop out the squash, seperating strands with a fork; set shells and squash aside. In a skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, and green pepper until meat is browned and vegetables are tender; drain. Add mushrooms, garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper; cook and stir for two minutes. Add squash; mix well. Cook uncovered, until liquid has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Fill shells; place in shallow baking dish. Bake, uncovered at 350 for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese; return to oven for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.

My wife says she uses close to a pound of beef and more mozzarella.

Damn, now I'm hungry for this. :D

Thanks a lot..Im gonna try this :D

Edited by whomper