[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I Cooked Baby Back Ribs This Past Weekend And I Have Questions

TDFFFreak

The ribs we're surprisingly tasty for my first time ever cooking ribs. I got the recipe out of the newer Weber cookbook of grilling (the one with pictures of all the recipes). Anyway, I used a simple rub of salt, pepper, brown sugar, and another ingredient that slips my mind at the moment.

Here are my questions as I plan to make these ribs more in the future because they came out so good:

1) I have a gas Weber Genisis Silver C-- three burner grill. I had a rack and a half to cook so I laid them on my grill as such:

----- I

The full rack rested in the center (-----) and the half rack ( I ) went to the side. Low and slow at 300 degrees, indirect heat with the 2 outer burners going and the middle one off. The question is, what do I do if I want to do 2 or three full racks on my Weber? Am I screwed or is there a trick. Any more ribs and they would no longer be "indirect heat" as a large portion of the ribs would be over the flames.

2) I didn't flip the ribs at all during cooking and lifted the lid over the 1 hour and 45 minutes only a few times while they were cooking. Was this the correct thing to do? No BBQ sauce during cooking as I used a dry rub. Can you combine dry rub and sauce with the same ribs during cooking?

3) As I said, these were dry rub ribs. I put them bone side down and didn't touch/flip them. Is there any reason with dry rub ribs to put the meat side down first and then flip it a half an hour into cooking?

They tasted really good so I did something right, but wanted to check. I am especially interested in question #1 as I think this would be a great group of friends meal, but a rack and half is only enough for about 4 people. Thanks in advance...

Edited by TDFFFreak

1) can the racks fit on your grill parallel to each other? also, can go to one burned and go at a lower temp ( i like 225-250).

2) leaving them alone is going to be best...let's the flavor settle in. yes... you can add sauce to the dry rubbed ribs... brush it on 10-15 min before done. this is how i like to do it... i usually use some type of cajun rub with a sweeter sauce to finish (with either br sugar, molasses, or honey). main reason you add sauce last is that because of the sugars, it will have a tendancy to burn if put on too early.

3)^

I'm not familiar with a weber gas grill but as for cooking more ribs, I use an inverted v-rack like this one:

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Big_Green_Egg_...ck_Inverted_Vrp

You essentially stand the ribs up between the grates. In so doing, I was able to make ribs for about 13-15 adults. And with this rack, you'll obviously have no need to worry about turning ribs.

I also echo putting sauce on near the end. I like to go direct heat near the end and then put the sauce on so that I can carmelize the sugars in the sauce. I also tend to cook my ribs longer than you (about 5 hours) but I go at a lower temp--about 225-235 degrees.

I usually make a mop to brush on after the first hour and then every hour after. And try to reduce the temp if possible. I would shoot for about a 5 hour cook time as unta says. After about 3 hours take the ribs off the grill. Wrap them in foil, bone side UP. Mop them and put them back on the grill for about an hour. After an hour, unwrap and finish on the grill for another hour.

And when you do your sauce, don't apply until about the last 20 minutes. I like to use a spicy sauce and mix a little honey in with it. Tastes really good.

And one more thing. Soak some wood chips for a couple of hours next time. Then, take a handful and put in foil. Poke a couple small holes in the foil and set this foil packets near your burners. Do a couple of packets this way. Don't set right on flame but as near as possible. This way you will also get some smoky flavor. Try apple wood, or cherry, or maybe hickory.

1) can the racks fit on your grill parallel to each other? also, can go to one burned and go at a lower temp ( i like 225-250).

2) leaving them alone is going to be best...let's the flavor settle in. yes... you can add sauce to the dry rubbed ribs... brush it on 10-15 min before done. this is how i like to do it... i usually use some type of cajun rub with a sweeter sauce to finish (with either br sugar, molasses, or honey). main reason you add sauce last is that because of the sugars, it will have a tendancy to burn if put on too early.

3)^

Thanks for the responses.

Just to be clear on your #1 answer Bier, I have three burners as such:

-------

-------

-------

So I don't think the racks can be moved to help since it's all about the burners. If I move the grill to a lower temp like 225-250 on one burner, I could fit about 2.5 racks on the grill, but how long would the ribs have to cook for? I wonder if there is some sort of rib rack attachement (per untateve) for the Weber Genisis that'll allow me to continue cooking with 2 burners at 300 degrees, but give me more space for more ribs?* I'm not entirely sure the rack that untateve will more for the genisis.

Thanks guys.

* Low and slow is great except for the fact that I don't want to have to hang around the house and grill for longer then 2 hours to cook my ribs.

Edited by TDFFFreak

i would only turn on the top or bottom. and be very careful of the rack of ribs closest to the active burner. while my life is crazy and i have a hard time conceiving of long cooking these days... it is the best way to go for bbq'ing. lower temp allows you to worry less about burning.....

as a lot fo guys have mentioned..... can relax with some brew and family/freinds while the grill does it's job....

i would only turn on the top or bottom. and be very careful of the rack of ribs closest to the active burner. while my life is crazy and i have a hard time conceiving of long cooking these days... it is the best way to go for bbq'ing. lower temp allows you to worry less about burning.....

as a lot fo guys have mentioned..... can relax with some brew and family/freinds while the grill does it's job....

Okay, so it sounds like I can get away with one burner (the front) and get at least 2.5 racks of ribs on the grill. How long would I have to cook the ribs with the one burner method at 225-250 degrees?

Thanks for the responses.

Just to be clear on your #1 answer Bier, I have three burners as such:

-------

-------

-------

So I don't think the racks can be moved to help since it's all about the burners. If I move the grill to a lower temp like 225-250 on one burner, I could fit about 2.5 racks on the grill, but how long would the ribs have to cook for? I wonder if there is some sort of rib rack attachement (per untateve) for the Weber Genisis that'll allow me to continue cooking with 2 burners at 300 degrees, but give me more space for more ribs?* I'm not entirely sure the rack that untateve will more for the genisis.

Thanks guys.

* Low and slow is great except for the fact that I don't want to have to hang around the house and grill for longer then 2 hours to cook my ribs.

Then you will have good, but not great ribs.

All good solid advice. 250 would be the max I would go with ribs or any slow cooked meats. Smoking soaked wood chips is also my preference along with the foil tents(thus you can mop earlier without worry of burning and the moistness stays put). Other than that cinnamon is killer in pork rubs.

I got a 6 rack, upright holder for the ribs today. Does this change any of the cooking times and temps? I assume I can still brush the BBQ sauce on while in the rack?

I understand that lower temps and and longer cook times are the way to go, but as I said, I was shocked at how good the ribs were I made on the Weber and they took just shy of 2 hours (not including marinating time). I'm no gourmet so while I might notice the texture and taste of slower cooked ribs, the tradeoff of time for taste in this instance was just fine by me. Me and my family were very pleased. :D

I got a 6 rack, upright holder for the ribs today. Does this change any of the cooking times and temps? I assume I can still brush the BBQ sauce on while in the rack?

I understand that lower temps and and longer cook times are the way to go, but as I said, I was shocked at how good the ribs were I made on the Weber and they took just shy of 2 hours (not including marinating time). I'm no gourmet so while I might notice the texture and taste of slower cooked ribs, the tradeoff of time for taste in this instance was just fine by me. Me and my family were very pleased. :D

Trust me, you can do better. Throw some apple wood on that baby and your family will remember how crappy that first batch was. :D

And your cooking time will be the same with the rib rack.

I love my Weber Genesis but there are some things that need to be smoked and some things that need to be grilled. Ribs belong in the smoked category. It is very hard to do smoking on a gas grill because of the need to keep the temperature low for long periods of time. And as you have found, the Genesis doesn't have a hugh cooking surface. Go ahead and try the upright racks, but you need to seriously understand that low and slow is better here.

I love my Weber Genesis but there are some things that need to be smoked and some things that need to be grilled. Ribs belong in the smoked category. It is very hard to do smoking on a gas grill because of the need to keep the temperature low for long periods of time. And as you have found, the Genesis doesn't have a hugh cooking surface. Go ahead and try the upright racks, but you need to seriously understand that low and slow is better here.

If you have 2 burner sides on that thing you can turn off one side and try to go low that way. Then just do the wood chips in foil idea. I would also put a cookie sheet full of water on the first rack, then put the ribs on the upper rack.( if this is how your grill is set up)

If you have 2 burner sides on that thing you can turn off one side and try to go low that way. Then just do the wood chips in foil idea. I would also put a cookie sheet full of water on the first rack, then put the ribs on the upper rack.( if this is how your grill is set up)

Only 1 rack really. It really is a grill and difficult to smoke on. NP, I'll just get a nice separate wood smoker.