[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers WR Update

PaulOttCarruth

Meant to post this a couple days ago, but didn't get around to it. Though Jones has been the star of training camp and the preseason, Jennings is still the starter opposite Driver and will continue to be barring an injury. Still, I'd look for Jones late in any fantasy draft. There should be enough balls to go around for him to make an impact.

Rookie Jones likely won't start despite solid play

By Rob Demovsky

rdemovsk@greenbaypressgazette.com

As good as James Jones has been as a rookie receiver for the Green Bay Packers, there's probably little chance coach Mike McCarthy will throw him into the starting lineup anytime soon.

The third-round draft pick from San Jose State had another eye-opening performance on Saturday against the Seattle Seahawks in preseason game No. 2. He improved upon what has been a solid summer of work on the practice field by putting up almost unheard-of numbers for a rookie at his position.

Jones caught four passes for 58 yards and two touchdowns. A week earlier, he caught a team-high six passes for 58 yards in the preseason opener at Pittsburgh. A week before that, he caught two balls for 26 yards in the Family Night scrimmage at Lambeau Field.

All summer, Jones has been lauded for his sturdy hands. Saturday against the Seahawks was perhaps the greatest evidence of them. He plucked a ball from inches above the ground with his right hand and shifted it to his left to secure a 7-yard touchdown pass from backup quarterback Aaron Rodgers. That came after his 16-yard touchdown catch and run on a drag route from Brett Favre and a sparkling sideline catch for 32 yards on a go-route from Favre.

Why, then, wouldn't Philbin and McCarthy consider elevating him into the starting lineup?

The coaches have schooled Jones primarily in the "Z" or flanker position — the same spot played by Pro Bowler Donald Driver — and haven't used him often at the "X" or split-end spot that Jennings has played.

"I'm at 'Z' right now, and that's where I'm most comfortable," Jones said. "They've pretty much left me there, but I do know 'X' and 'Z' because you've got to know both of those spots."

Two of Jones' three big plays against the Seahawks came out of personnel groupings other than the base (two-receiver) set. His 16-yard touchdown catch was out of a three-receiver set, and his deep sideline catch came from four wides. In the three-receiver set, Driver typically moves inside to the slot position, meaning Jones assumes Driver's "Z" position.

"We've left him exclusively at flanker," McCarthy said. "He's benefited from those opportunities. He's done a nice job. He catches everything that hits his hands. He's a physical guy that will only get stronger."

Jones hasn't been without his faults. On his 16-yard touchdown catch against Seattle, he lined up incorrectly and only a savvy adjustment by Driver made the play go off without a hitch. Jones lined up too tight to the left side of the offensive line, leaving little room for Driver, who went in motion from right to left. Just before the snap, Driver told Jones to switch routes with him.

"I had a few mistakes," Jones said. "I definitely have to clean that up. But I caught the ball pretty well. I just need to limit my mistakes."

There are two preseason games left if the Packers wanted to try pairing Jones with Driver in the base offense, but at this point, it appears they still believe Jennings will be productive like he was early last season before an ankle injury slowed him. Jennings also has more experience playing multiple positions. Last year, he played "X" in the base offense but moved to the "Z" in three-receiver sets.

Jennings hasn't had a catch in either of the preseason games and hasn't made many big plays during practice so far perhaps because he hasn't had many balls thrown his way.

"I'm not disappointed in his play," McCarthy said of Jennings. "It's more about opportunities. I'm not calling plays to get the ball to certain people. You're looking at different combinations. Greg should not be disappointed about his opportunities. I'm sure he is. He's a true competitor. Greg Jennings will get the football."