[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jones or Jennings? and why?

junebugz

Jones or Jennings? and why?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. If you have room on your roster for one of these two, which do you take and why?

• James Jones
    • Greg Jennings
    • Puddy

I'm sure you've read everything I've read but, what I'm seeing is that Jennings is falling out of favor in GB and was getting upset in camp about balls going away from him. I've watched the better part of both GB's games and from what I've seen, Jones has been the go-to guy outside of Driver. Both Favre and Rodgers have thrown Td's to him and as long as Jones can continue to develop in the offense and learn his routes, it looks like Favre is willing to go to him.

I'd say one of two things will happen here between Jones/ Jennings (and Driver's injury could also play into both of thier seasons)...Jones will learn the offense and become the #2 WR in the offense and become what Jennings was last year or Jennings will be motivated by Jones' progress and step it up. Possible sophomore slump here too. If Driver misses anytime, one is going to have to do something.

Watching the Packers in the preseason it is easy to get caught up on all the hype, Jones has looked great, much like Jennings did a year ago. The difference I see is that Jones is currently in position to primarily be on the field in three receiver sets. He is learning Driver's position who moves inside when Jones is on the Field. This leads me to believe Jennings will start and play opposite Driver. If however Driver were to miss significant time, I think Jones would be the primary benificiary.

Section of an article from Sportsline, originally run in the Green Bay Press Gazette, link at the bottom.

The coaches have schooled Jones primarily in the "Z" or flanker position — the same spot played by Pro Bowler Donald Driver — and haven't used him often at the "X" or split-end spot that Jennings has played.

"I'm at 'Z' right now, and that's where I'm most comfortable," Jones said. "They've pretty much left me there, but I do know 'X' and 'Z' because you've got to know both of those spots."

Two of Jones' three big plays against the Seahawks came out of personnel groupings other than the base (two-receiver) set. His 16-yard touchdown catch was out of a three-receiver set, and his deep sideline catch came from four wides. In the three-receiver set, Driver typically moves inside to the slot position, meaning Jones assumes Driver's "Z" position.

"We've left him exclusively at flanker," McCarthy said. "He's benefited from those opportunities. He's done a nice job. He catches everything that hits his hands. He's a physical guy that will only get stronger."

James Jones

It's too early to tell. Joe is right I think. To date Jennings is still the #2 and there are reports his targets are down because of where he is playing. Eventually Jones will learn all 3 positions but not yet. When he does all 3 will see a lot of action whether they start or not.

I say get both. Jennings in 8 or 9th round and Jones later. Jones can back up Jennings or Driver.

In a draft 2 weeks ago I got Jones in the 18th but that will never happen again. I see him moving from the 12th to 10th rounds now.