[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ahmad Brooks

The Huddle annoatated IDP player rankings has a rather cutting comment about Ahmad Brooks (not repeated as i imagine it's Member Only). Does this mean he's not been impressing during pre-season? I've not seen any Bengals games, or seen any reports from Bengals camp about him.

I haven't seen the mysterious "cutting comment," but I did just read the following from Chuck Ludwig (Dayton Daily News) writing for TSN:

8/21/2007 -- Keep an eye on Ed Hartwell, who quickly is gaining ground on second-year MLB Ahmad Brooks. Hartwell has moved inside from the weak side to push Brooks, who continues to get washed out of plays because he's slow to read and react. Brooks is a physical specimen with great upside because he's so athletic, but he needs time to develop. Hartwell deserves to start because he's more active and makes more plays. He brings savvy, leadership and stability to the lineup.

Hartwell needs a plamaker next to him to be effective. Cincy currently doesnt have that. So I wouldnt look for any permanant change in the middle. Ahmad Brooks will figure this out. The coaches original concern was Brooks leaving containment to make a play, and over react, only to have the play come right back to where Brooks was at, or suppose to be at. Now he feels he is on pins and needles to be perfect, and isnt reacting, just trying to see how thngs develop. This was a concern for Lavar Arrington, as he too often left his containment to make a play, and became ineffective as a player, in the Wash D scheme. The difference is the previous coaching staff in Washington drafted Lavar, and the new coaching staff, didnt think he fit their scheme. That is not the case here, where Lewis drafted Brooks to be his MLB.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Rotoworld's take:

Ahmad Brooks has done nothing to make the Bengals think he isn't ready to be their starting middle linebacker this season.Impact: The sophomore had a sack, four tackles, and a quarterback hit in the team's second exhibition game. He's a serious breakout candidate in IDP leagues