[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

And here come the "race cards" in the Vick Case!

spain

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And from our local rag:

Thursday, 08/23/07

Is Vick case exposing a divide over quality of justice?

By DWIGHT LEWIS

Those of you who have read my writings over the past several years surely know that I'm not one who likes to bring up the issue of race very often. (This comment is completely ludicrous).

However, I was talking to a colleague recently who feels very strongly that race is playing a very significant role in the federal dogfighting case against Atlanta Falcons star quarterback Michael Vick.

"Just think about it,'' my colleague said as we stepped off an elevator coming back into The Tennessean newsroom from our cafeteria, "what if Scooter Libby had cornrows?

"And it's too bad that Michael Vick doesn't have friends in high places like Scooter Libby. Scooter Libby lied to federal prosecutors, and his case dealt with national security.''

Hmm, I murmured as my colleague continued to tell me his thoughts about how race is a factor in the Vick case.

In case some of you don't remember, I. Lewis "Scooter'' Libby, a former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, had his 30-month prison sentence for lying in a CIA leak probe commuted by President Bush early last month. The commutation came after an appellate panel rejected Libby's request to delay the start of his jail time while he appealed his jury conviction last March.

"I respect the jury's verdict,'' the president was quoted as saying in a statement on July 2. "But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive.''

Bush let it be known that Libby would still have to face what he called "harsh punishment,'' including a $250,000 fine, two years' probation, damage to his reputation and family suffering.

A Newsday story said critics complained that Bush was giving Libby special treatment and was undercutting the message sent by the jury, which found that Libby and Cheney went to extreme lengths to discredit a critic of the Iraq war, and that Libby lied about that effort.

But back to my colleague. "Atlanta is a divided city,'' my colleague said. "Blacks, by and large, support Michael Vick. But many whites don't like him as a quarterback because he runs a lot and also because of some of his antics.''

One happened after a football game in the Georgia Dome last season, Vick gave the "finger'' to some fans who were booing him after what they apparently felt was a poor performance.

"I think that division has spread all across America,'' my colleague told me. "Just look at what is taking place. It seems that a lot of people are already dancing on Michael Vick's coffin. And he hasn't even gone to prison yet.''

On Monday, one of Vick's lawyers announced that the National Football League's No. 1 draft choice by the Falcons in 2001 will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal-fighting venture. Vick faces up to five years in prison on the charges.

Vick's decision to enter a guilty plea seemingly came about in part because three of his associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge, and claim Vick provided practically all the gambling and operating funds for the dogfighting enterprise.

In addition, Vick, who signed a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons in 2004, could also be facing state charges in Virginia.

Again, back to my colleague. He's not alone when he questions the role race may be playing in the Vick case. If you want to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about, just read some of the things being said in various newspapers, or listen to talk radio or the various sports talk shows on television.

"Hang him!'' some people seem to be saying. "Hang him!''

"Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being,'' R.L. White, president of the Atlanta NAACP chapter, was quoted as saying Wednesday after his organization said Vick should be allowed to return to football after he serves his sentence.

But what do you think? Is race the reason Vick is getting such negative press? Or is it just his wrongdoings? But again, what about Scooter Libby? And could you really imagine him in cornrows?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...03/1007/OPINION

That's got to be one of the most wretched pieces of trash I've ever read. What kind of fruitcake idiot goes to that much trouble to seriosuly try to compare Michael Vick to Scooter Libby. You have to absoltuley 100% desparately WANT for there to be racism involved in this case to make such a non-linear connection as this guy has attempted to do. Tripe.

That's got to be one of the most wretched pieces of trash I've ever read. What kind of fruitcake idiot goes to that much trouble to seriosuly try to compare Michael Vick to Scooter Libby. You have to absoltuley 100% desparately WANT for there to be racism involved in this case to make such a non-linear connection as this guy has attempted to do. Tripe.

+1

It's dumb, but I have to admit that pardoning Scooter Libby did not send a particularly good message about crime. Sure, he interfered with a federal investigation... but he's a good ol' boy, he doesn't need to serve his sentence.

Everyone should be treated the same in the eyes of the law. This isn't a black/white issue though.

I've never seen Barry Manilow abuse a dog

Cops Raid DMX's Home, Seize Pit Bulls

AP

Posted: 2007-08-24 21:59:41

Filed Under: Music News

PHOENIX (Aug. 24) - Sheriff's deputies raided the home of rapper DMX on Friday, seizing several pit bulls and finding the remains of three other dogs but making no arrests.

The Maricopa County Sheriff's Office received a tip more than a week ago about dogs being kept in inhumane conditions at the Phoenix-area home, said Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

Toby Canham, Getty Images Police seized 12 distressed pit bulls at the home of DMX on Friday. During the raid, cops also found the remains of three dogs and a variety of firearms.

1 of 21

Detectives visited the home and then called one of the rapper's lawyers and told him that the conditions for the animals at the property needed to be improved or deputies would take action, Arpaio said. The dogs were not being fed or given water.

Authorities returned to the home Friday.

The 36-year-old musician and actor, whose real name is Earl Simmons, was not at home during the raid.

Simmons' lawyer, Murray Richman, said Simmons hasn't been in Arizona for at least two months and was "extremely disturbed" to hear the animals weren't being cared for properly.

"We had a caretaker that wasn't taking care, that's what happened," Richman said. "He loves dogs - he loves these animals. Those dogs are practically his family."

Richman said he hadn't been notified of problems at the property until he learned of the raid Friday. Sheriff's officials said they had contacted another lawyer who works for DMX.

Arpaio said the deputies who served a search warrant at the home Friday seized 12 pit bulls tied up on the property and took them to an old jail that has been converted into an animal shelter.

Deputies found the buried dogs when they dug up the back yard. One had apparently been burned and the cause of death on the others was unknown because the bodies were decomposing.

Deputies also found a variety of firearms, Arpaio said. Authorities sought additional warrants so they could check the guns to determine if they were legal.

DMX's albums include "It's Dark and Hell Is Hot" and "Flesh of My Flesh, Blood of My Blood" and "Year of the Dog ... Again."

Why do black people hate pit bulls ?

Edited by whomper

Scooter Libby lied to the government.

Michael Vick lied to the government, his team, his teammates, the NFL....funded a gambling operation, was a part a process that ended with the torture of animals, knowingly allowed these enterprises and activities to take place on real estate he owned,....

um, yeah, they appear very similar :D

Michael Vick lied to the government, his team, his teammates, the NFL....funded a gambling operation, was a part a process that ended with the torture of animals, knowingly allowed these enterprises and activities to take place on real estate he owned,....

Scooter Libby was in a very elevated position in the White House, and is counted on by every citizen of this country to represent our interests.

Michael Vick was a quarterback for a team that never advanced in the playoffs.

Yeah... they don't appear very similar. I don't actually give a rats ass about the outcome of one of them.

Tell me you're not implying that Vick is worse than Libby. That's just plain stupid and I think what Vick did is vile.

That said, one should deduce that the difference in how they were handled had essentially nothing to do with race and everything to do with the POTUS looking out for one of his boys. Which, I should add is exactly what Clinton did with his pile o' pardons (just wanted to avoid turning this thing into Right v Left). I think it is entirely safe to say that if Libby was black, he would have been given a similar slap on the wrist.

Edited by detlef

And from our local rag:

Thursday, 08/23/07

While this is going to get worse anyone thinking there is no divide over race in this country is a little wacky.

After the OJ verdict many reporters tried finding a restaurant/bar where they could interview both white and blacks over the verdict . They couldn't find one.

"Blacks, by and large, support Michael Vick. But many whites don't like him as a quarterback because he runs a lot and also because of some of his antics.''

Yeah, antics... flipping off the fans... smuggling hash, drowning dogs, running a gambling ring... antics.

"Blacks, by and large, support Michael Vick. But many whites don't like him as a quarterback because he runs a lot and also because of some of his antics.''

Last time I checked McNabb and Mcnair are black yet white people dont dislike them . Its because they arent thugs.

Edited by whomper

Last time I checked McNabb and Mcnair are black yet white people dont dislike them . Its because they arent thugs.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... :D

What it often comes down to is a cultural mistunderstanding (define it as you will). But I think most people, black, white, or otherwise would mostly agree that harming other living things is wrong (and I don't mean vegitarian).

Race plays a part in more things than we'd like to admit, but what Vick did is bad in any color.

Edited by TDFFFreak

Race does play an issue..

I can't see any white QB in the NFL being connected to dog fighting.

If you asked me a year ago if Vivk could ever be involved in dog fighting the answer would be yes.

From your post, it appears race is an issue for you...or were you basing it more on what you thought of Vick's character?

I am very sorry to say that this issue has for sure hit a racial nerve.

I work in a very mixed environment. Some of the black people that I work with have become so obsessed with showing me how this is a total injustice to the black community that I have had to order a “no Vick talk at work” order. I mean this. I won’t send you home and I won’t suspend you but if I hear you talking any more Vick crap you will suffer the wrath of the boss giving you the worst of the worst duties until I feel like letting you up. This works, by the way.

Two days ago I nearly had two of my best guys come to blows because the white guy could not understand that “Vick only got in trouble because he is black.” Further more “if Linsay Lohan was doing the same thing they wouldn’t even have charged her.” “You white MFer’s need to understand that until you all admit how effed up the world is treating every single black guy that gets in trouble, well, the problem will never be corrected.”

That went on for about five more minutes and went even further downhill but it lead to two guys that are actually pretty good friends needing to be separated.

I know that I don’t exactly understand what it is like to walk in the black mans shoes. I know that they do have plenty of race issues. However, this only being a problem because he is black is absolutely ludicrous. I am not going to go on and on or even try to fix any racial problems but any of the more level headed black people that I know and talk to do not at all see it any different than I do.

From your post, it appears race is an issue for you...or were you basing it more on what you thought of Vick's character?

Character. I would be absolutely shocked if Mcnair was linked to dog fighting. Vick and probably even Culpepper I would not be so shocked.

Race does play an issue and I assume a lot people will call me a racist for this but I don't know of any white NFL players where I would say "Yea I can see that" when they are linked to dog fighting but I would not be too shocked at quite a few black NFL players. Mcnair, Driver, Harrison excluded.

I say that there are tons of piece of crap black thugs out there and just as many piece of crap white trash out there and I consider those people equal except the white trash people you see on COPS usually don't have the talent to play pro sports.

Character. I would be absolutely shocked if Mcnair was linked to dog fighting. Vick and probably even Culpepper I would not be so shocked.

Race does play an issue and I assume a lot people will call me a racist for this but I don't know of any white NFL players where I would say "Yea I can see that" when they are linked to dog fighting but I would not be too shocked at quite a few black NFL players. Mcnair, Driver, Harrison excluded.

I say that there are tons of piece of crap black thugs out there and just as many piece of crap white trash out there and I consider those people equal except the white trash people you see on COPS usually don't have the talent to play pro sports.

Mannings dog would lull the opposing dog to sleep with audibles then attack with a vengeance

Mannings dog would lull the opposing dog to sleep with audibles then attack with a vengeance

Does Peyton's dog have a brother who is not very good at leading his fellow pups and when he tries to lead them they just giggle because it is so comical?

Tell me you're not implying that Vick is worse than Libby.

Torturing and killing animals as part of an interstate gambling ring is on the same level as perjury? I strongly disagree.

That said, one should deduce that the difference in how they were handled had essentially nothing to do with race and everything to do with the POTUS looking out for one of his boys. Which, I should add is exactly what Clinton did with his pile o' pardons (just wanted to avoid turning this thing into Right v Left). I think it is entirely safe to say that if Libby was black, he would have been given a similar slap on the wrist.

Agreed

Edited by Bill Swerski

Does Peyton's dog have a brother who is not very good at leading his fellow pups and when he tries to lead them they just giggle because it is so comical?

Says a bitter Tiki Barber who is losing credit by the minute as a "broadcaster" for not being able to give unbiased commentary on the Giants because hes a whiny bitch

Edited by whomper

And from our local rag:

Thursday, 08/23/07

By DWIGHT LEWIS

Those of you who have read my writings over the past several years surely know that I'm not one who likes to bring up the issue of race very often. (This comment is completely ludicrous).

However, I was talking to a colleague recently who feels very strongly that race is playing a very significant role in the federal dogfighting case against Atlanta Falcons star quarterback Michael Vick.

"Just think about it,'' my colleague said as we stepped off an elevator coming back into The Tennessean newsroom from our cafeteria, "what if Scooter Libby had cornrows?

"And it's too bad that Michael Vick doesn't have friends in high places like Scooter Libby. Scooter Libby lied to federal prosecutors, and his case dealt with national security.''

Hmm, I murmured as my colleague continued to tell me his thoughts about how race is a factor in the Vick case.

In case some of you don't remember, I. Lewis "Scooter'' Libby, a former top aide to Vice President Dick Cheney, had his 30-month prison sentence for lying in a CIA leak probe commuted by President Bush early last month. The commutation came after an appellate panel rejected Libby's request to delay the start of his jail time while he appealed his jury conviction last March.

"I respect the jury's verdict,'' the president was quoted as saying in a statement on July 2. "But I have concluded that the prison sentence given to Mr. Libby is excessive.''

Bush let it be known that Libby would still have to face what he called "harsh punishment,'' including a $250,000 fine, two years' probation, damage to his reputation and family suffering.

A Newsday story said critics complained that Bush was giving Libby special treatment and was undercutting the message sent by the jury, which found that Libby and Cheney went to extreme lengths to discredit a critic of the Iraq war, and that Libby lied about that effort.

But back to my colleague. "Atlanta is a divided city,'' my colleague said. "Blacks, by and large, support Michael Vick. But many whites don't like him as a quarterback because he runs a lot and also because of some of his antics.''

One happened after a football game in the Georgia Dome last season, Vick gave the "finger'' to some fans who were booing him after what they apparently felt was a poor performance.

"I think that division has spread all across America,'' my colleague told me. "Just look at what is taking place. It seems that a lot of people are already dancing on Michael Vick's coffin. And he hasn't even gone to prison yet.''

On Monday, one of Vick's lawyers announced that the National Football League's No. 1 draft choice by the Falcons in 2001 will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities, and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal-fighting venture. Vick faces up to five years in prison on the charges.

Vick's decision to enter a guilty plea seemingly came about in part because three of his associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge, and claim Vick provided practically all the gambling and operating funds for the dogfighting enterprise.

In addition, Vick, who signed a 10-year, $130 million contract with the Falcons in 2004, could also be facing state charges in Virginia.

Again, back to my colleague. He's not alone when he questions the role race may be playing in the Vick case. If you want to get a better understanding of what I'm talking about, just read some of the things being said in various newspapers, or listen to talk radio or the various sports talk shows on television.

"Hang him!'' some people seem to be saying. "Hang him!''

"Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being,'' R.L. White, president of the Atlanta NAACP chapter, was quoted as saying Wednesday after his organization said Vick should be allowed to return to football after he serves his sentence.

But what do you think? Is race the reason Vick is getting such negative press? Or is it just his wrongdoings? But again, what about Scooter Libby? And could you really imagine him in cornrows?

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar...03/1007/OPINION

Race is a canard in this case. While one can claim race DOES make a difference in other cases...usually when sentencing is concerned and quality of defense....but here...NONSENSE. I don't think the .gov was going after him because of race....but they certainly were for his celebrity...and that is a different matter altogether.....just like Martha Stewart. While I think you can make a case some of the noise that calls for him to be castrated or hung has to do somewhat with race....that is entirely different from saying the sole reason he is being prosecuted is race....hooey. His celebrity is the only reason this is being VIGOROUSLY prosecuted.

They are not similiar at all...but a rational person can weigh the effects of each crime and see which had the potential for more damage. BB tried and soundly lost when he tried to redicule my comparison of the potential impacts of both their crimes. It is obvious, by far, that the crime Libby was CONVICTED of had far more serious implications than a few pit bulls getting mauled....call me callous...I don't care....but those are the facts. That being said....Vick deserves whatever punishment that is bestowed upon him.