[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vernon Davis

NS UNIT

I'm thinking I would take Vernon Davis as the #2 TE after Gates is gone just based on this guys potential. Anyone out there agree, or want to slam me on this one.

I have no problem with somebody believing that Davis will end up being the 2nd overall TE, he does have lots of potential. I'm not sure I buy it but it isn't outside the realm of possibility IMO.

Now the trick is to figure out how long you can wait to draft him.

I have no problem with somebody believing that Davis will end up being the 2nd overall TE, he does have lots of potential. I'm not sure I buy it but it isn't outside the realm of possibility IMO.

Now the trick is to figure out how long you can wait to draft him.

I did just pick him in a 12 team / 14 round draft league. Managed to pick him up in the 8th round after a run on TE's a round earlier that ignored him.

I think he's getting too much love and seems to be over hyped. If he ends up #2 then fine I'm wrong and can handle that but right now I can't take him over much more accomplished players like Heap, Gonzalez, Shockey, etc. Remember this guy is only in his 2nd year and hasn't done squat yet.

The reports in camp is that his hands have improved from last year. The only problem I see is that during preseason he's only caught I think 3 passes. I'm hoping the OC is trying to keep him as our big secret. I'm not yet convinced about A. Smith so until then I dont think Davis should be drafted so high.

I think he's getting too much love and seems to be over hyped. If he ends up #2 then fine I'm wrong and can handle that but right now I can't take him over much more accomplished players like Heap, Gonzalez, Shockey, etc. Remember this guy is only in his 2nd year and hasn't done squat yet.

To expand on this, while Davis did have a monsterous combine, he didn't dominate at the college level. He was nowhere near what Kellen Winslow or some others have done, so I ask why is he expected to be able to be the next big thing?

Flashy combine numbers are just that... Numbers.

I'm not saying he can't turn into this guy that a lot of people believe him destined to be, but I think he has to at least show us something first...

I have him rated behind Gates, Winslow, Heap, Cooley and Witten

I took Davis in the 8th... but it's a league with a TE/WR flex position (was on about my 5th beer at that point). I could've taken Hackett and am sort of pissed at myself for not doing so. That said, I'm pretty happy to have him as my #4 at that flex position.

I have never seen a tight end like Davis. I have seen him go as early as the #2 tight end taken and as late as #8. He's just all over the place but if you want him badly, you better take him early or risk losing him.

I have never seen a tight end like Davis. I have seen him go as early as the #2 tight end taken and as late as #8. He's just all over the place but if you want him badly, you better take him early or risk losing him.

#2 just sounds insane to me... I think Kellen Winslow is closer to Gates than most, and that there is a hugh drop off after him.KW2 was twice the player Davis was in college, and he appears to be able to live up to his draft hype.

#2 just sounds insane to me... I think Kellen Winslow is closer to Gates than most, and that there is a hugh drop off after him.KW2 was twice the player Davis was in college, and he appears to be able to live up to his draft hype.

As DMD said above, I took Davis as the 2nd TE overall just so I wouldn't miss him. I also had the 2nd overall so I REALLY had to speculate as to when he might go which means I probably took him a round too early. But I really had to have him...

Davis has a ridiculous ypr for a TE... better than all the big TE names save for Crumpler. Winslow averaged <10ypr.

Davis is in his 2nd season. Smith is now in his 3rd season.

They probably won't be able to lean on Gore AS MUCH as last season.

They added DJax making it less likely that teams can entirely key on Davis.

It's relatively low risk in a TE mandatory/non-PPR (5th-8th round draft pick) for a guy that is very capable of putting up Gates-like numbers.

About Winslow... the guy is coming off ANOTHER knee procedure this offseason and his QB situation is that much more unclear vs. last season. Winslow might be nice again this year but if you're in a non-PPR league, I see Davis as having MUCH more upside.

Edited by kingfish247

I have him rated behind Gates, Winslow, Heap, Cooley and Witten

Gates... 100% agree.

Cooley... he's very solid and is a tempting option in his 2nd year in Saunders' system and with Campbell. But is it fair to compare his ceiling to that of Gonzalez, a likely future HOFer? Not really.

Heap, Winslow, and Witten... we've pretty much seen what these guys' ceilings are and, again, in Winslow's case he's coming off yet another offseason surgery and entering the season with a carousel at QB.

Just my :D

To expand on this, while Davis did have a monsterous combine, he didn't dominate at the college level. He was nowhere near what Kellen Winslow or some others have done, so I ask why is he expected to be able to be the next big thing?

He finished his college career with 1371 yards on 83 receptions for a gaudy 16.5 yards per catch, the best average of any first round tight end ever and more yards than other previous high first round tight ends Tony Gonzalez, Jeremy Shockey, Kyle Brady and Kellen Winslow II.

:D

Davis was also voted first team All-American.

He's definately in my top 5, and he's the guy that has the most breakout potential IMO.

But for TE I like consistancy - even if you only get me 50-70 yards every game, you're producing. That's why I was targeting Cooley in my auction - he's been a solid healthy producer for a couple years now and will be a great outlet for Campbell - he's also surprisingly athletic over the middle.