[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

League Issue

alexgaddis

So we had our local draft this afternoon...before the draft started my buddy calls me and says he doesn't know if he wants to play fantasy football anymore...I told him I would help him through the draft as he doesn't know any rookies really and we could maybe find a new owner for the team...

After he takes his kicker in round 1 and defense in round 2 (we keep 10 each year) he figures he has a solid team with a complete starting line-up...so he offers the rest of his draft (rounds 3, 4, 5 and 6) to anyone that wants it...another owner quickly offers his 2nd round pick next year for all 4 picks...he accepts and the trade goes through...

I have a real issue with this trade being allowed...he isn't trading to better his team for the future, he just didn't want to pick anymore so he gave away the rest of his draft...not to mention he might not be in the league next year anyway...

what do you guys think of this situation...

these guys are both good pals of mine but I feel the integrity of the league was sacrificed with this lame trade...

I am not kidding at all...these guys do not see an issue with what they did!

It's an integrity issue as much as anything. This is supposed to be a serious league I assume? It may be time to completely disband and come up with owners who really want to play some fantasy football.

How many teams in this league? 12? And you keep 10 players each? So, assuming 12 teams you begin the draft with 120 players off the board already... with that in mind, trading rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 for a round 2 doesn't seem as big of a deal. You're talking about a bunch of backups, longshots, and scrubs.

It's still not a great trade, or even a good trade, but might not be worth ruining the league over.

How many teams in this league? 12? And you keep 10 players each? So, assuming 12 teams you begin the draft with 120 players off the board already... with that in mind, trading rounds 3, 4, 5, and 6 for a round 2 doesn't seem as big of a deal. You're talking about a bunch of backups, longshots, and scrubs.

It's still not a great trade, or even a good trade, but might not be worth ruining the league over.

yes, this is correct...

It definately will not ruin the league or anything, just bothered me that both of them would do this obviously weak trade...

ps - I plan on showing this thread to them and the rest of the league who didn't vote to deny this trade...

Edited by alexgaddis

All of this being said, I am wondering what would be an acceptable trade for his last four draft picks. I assume this is a 6 round draft.....would a number 1 be worth 3,4,5,6. Also, do those picks count as keeper positions for next year....I.E. will they count as one of the ten kept players? I am trying to get an understanding of what is actually being traded?

All of this being said, I am wondering what would be an acceptable trade for his last four draft picks. I assume this is a 6 round draft.....would a number 1 be worth 3,4,5,6. Also, do those picks count as keeper positions for next year....I.E. will they count as one of the ten kept players? I am trying to get an understanding of what is actually being traded?

They could count as keepers for next year...depends on how they turn out I suppose....we keep 10 every year, any 10 you choose...

I suppose a 1st round pick might be more fair...its just the fact that the picks were traded for no other reason than he didn't feel like drafting anymore that day...

Kick out the uncaring owner - he has already professed to not wanting to play.

Return all draft picks to their righful place, get a replacement owner (I would assume you'd need to offer a discount to them, since this guy was drafting a K & D when he could have been drafting potentially stud rookies at the very least), and start from the point of the earliest traded pick (the uncaring guys who'll be kicked out).

That's the only way I can see salvaging this league - especially since it is a pay league.

And watch the owner who abused to soon-to-be-kicked-out owner like a hawk. He knew full well what he was doing, and while it was legal, it also was certainly unethical.

Wow...what a bad situation. Like someone else stated, it's hard to get a read on what is exactly being traded, but it sounds pretty pathetic to me. I guess when the original owner stated he didn't want to play fantasy football anymore, action should have been taken then. Was it on the day of the draft? Anytime you have to help someone in the draft because they don't know a lot of the rookies is the day you tell them to stop playing IMO. But the even bigger douchebag is the guy who took advantage of the situation. Anyone who is willing to be that sneaky and willing to take advantage of a bad situation without thinking about the league should look for a free yahoo league to join instead. Get the f out with that lame bs. Good luck, it's too bad your pals put you in this situation.

So we had our local draft this afternoon...before the draft started my buddy calls me and says he doesn't know if he wants to play fantasy football anymore...I told him I would help him through the draft as he doesn't know any rookies really and we could maybe find a new owner for the team...

After he takes his kicker in round 1 and defense in round 2 (we keep 10 each year) he figures he has a solid team with a complete starting line-up...so he offers the rest of his draft (rounds 3, 4, 5 and 6) to anyone that wants it...another owner quickly offers his 2nd round pick next year for all 4 picks...he accepts and the trade goes through...

I have a real issue with this trade being allowed...he isn't trading to better his team for the future, he just didn't want to pick anymore so he gave away the rest of his draft...not to mention he might not be in the league next year anyway...

what do you guys think of this situation...

these guys are both good pals of mine but I feel the integrity of the league was sacrificed with this lame trade...

I agree with all that this is a rotten situation...but it's not gonna stop me from playing Devil's Advocate.

As soon as he took that kicker, wht didn't you pull him on the side and talk to him? Seems as if he really was looking to no longer play, and you knew he had doubts. So why not cut it off at that point? Also, once the D was taken and the trade announced, why not jump in right then and there and let the league know that he was having second thoughts about playing? Get it overturned, get him out and start making normal picks as a league for whomever will take over the team.

I know these are friends but don't let these tools ruin it for all involved. I'm curious how you let this all happen, knowing what you knew.

I agree with all that this is a rotten situation...but it's not gonna stop me from playing Devil's Advocate.

As soon as he took that kicker, wht didn't you pull him on the side and talk to him? Seems as if he really was looking to no longer play, and you knew he had doubts. So why not cut it off at that point? Also, once the D was taken and the trade announced, why not jump in right then and there and let the league know that he was having second thoughts about playing? Get it overturned, get him out and start making normal picks as a league for whomever will take over the team.

I know these are friends but don't let these tools ruin it for all involved. I'm curious how you let this all happen, knowing what you knew.

Well, I was not at the draft...I had to draft from home...I found out about the one owners non-interest literally minutes before the draft started...I tried to block the trade when I heard it was happening but the rest of the league did nothing...

OK, I am the guilty one. However, Alex is slightly exagerating the situation. It's true I called Al before the draft and said I had 2nd thoughts about the league (as I do every year). I do not love Fantasy Football like I used to, at times I hate it. I have been in this league for a long, long time. The people in the league are my friends. I have NEVER in my years not remained competitive for every game of the season. I have had 1 season over .500, but I have never not picked up a guy I needed, or didn't call in my lineup or "trashed" a game for a better draft pick the following year.

This year was pretty bad. I was not AT ALL prepared for the draft. I have recently started a new job and my wife is preggo, so I've been a little preoccupied. Yes, it's my resonsibility to prepare myself for the draft. After the 2nd round of our 6 round draft I had a complete and competitive team. In the 3rd round I realized had NO CLUE who to grab (once again, my fault). The team I traded with has a pretty shaky team and could very well give me a very early 2nd round pick next year. Like Alex said, it's a 12 team, 10 man dynasty league, so the top 120 players are off the board. The last few rounds of our draft are pretty much either back up D's or guys who will be off your team by week6. Also, before the trade went through, I (on the online draft room) asked the league FOUR (4) times if this trade was ok. Nobody responded at thetime including Alex. I called the commisioner and he said that he had no problem with the trade.

So, did I make the trade to improve my team, or to not draft anymore. I guess a little bit of both. I did sit and watch the whole draft online and even chatted throughout, nobody said anything about the trade. Was it a GREAT trade, no. I could've done better. Was it a TERRIBLE trade. Absolutely not.

This was not even close to the worst trade in this league. Certainly not one that "ruins the integrity of the league".

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but what about the roster size minimum, or isn't there one. I would assume moneyshot would have to pick up scrubs off the waiver wire to complete his roster.

I have seen similar deals in dynasty league rookie drafts.

I don't think it is that big of a deal when this trade was made with the 144th best player on the board. I think it is like trading away your 15-16-17-18 round picks for someone's 15th in a redraft league. I can't see anyone getting their panties in a bunch over a deal like that.

OK, I am the guilty one. However, Alex is slightly exagerating the situation. It's true I called Al before the draft and said I had 2nd thoughts about the league (as I do every year). I do not love Fantasy Football like I used to, at times I hate it. I have been in this league for a long, long time. The people in the league are my friends. I have NEVER in my years not remained competitive for every game of the season. I have had 1 season over .500, but I have never not picked up a guy I needed, or didn't call in my lineup or "trashed" a game for a better draft pick the following year.

This year was pretty bad. I was not AT ALL prepared for the draft. I have recently started a new job and my wife is preggo, so I've been a little preoccupied. Yes, it's my resonsibility to prepare myself for the draft. After the 2nd round of our 6 round draft I had a complete and competitive team. In the 3rd round I realized had NO CLUE who to grab (once again, my fault). The team I traded with has a pretty shaky team and could very well give me a very early 2nd round pick next year. Like Alex said, it's a 12 team, 10 man dynasty league, so the top 120 players are off the board. The last few rounds of our draft are pretty much either back up D's or guys who will be off your team by week6. Also, before the trade went through, I (on the online draft room) asked the league FOUR (4) times if this trade was ok. Nobody responded at thetime including Alex. I called the commisioner and he said that he had no problem with the trade.

So, did I make the trade to improve my team, or to not draft anymore. I guess a little bit of both. I did sit and watch the whole draft online and even chatted throughout, nobody said anything about the trade. Was it a GREAT trade, no. I could've done better. Was it a TERRIBLE trade. Absolutely not.

This was not even close to the worst trade in this league. Certainly not one that "ruins the integrity of the league".

Well, good job acknowledging that being prepared is totally on you. I think that it's not so much the trade itself that has Alex up in arms, but it is the fact that you question your desire to play as well. Add them up and it really does not help the league.

I am sure you can see where he is coming from. As for the exaggeration, that is for the two of you to work out. If you are good friends, this should not come between you.

I am sure you can see where he is coming from. As for the exaggeration, that is for the two of you to work out. If you are good friends, this should not come between you.

Yeah, I see where he is coming from. The exageration part was just the fact that I didn't do the trade solely to not draft anymore as he insinuated. As far as Alex and I , this will not hurt our frinedship, we have been friends for a long time and to be honest, he has a little crush on me.

btw, Alex, if you are reading this...I want my bass back.