[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Vick is on CNN Headline news right now

Gunther

Michael Vick's statement following his guilty plea in U.S. District Court in Richmond, Va., to a dogfighting conspiracy charge:

"For most of my life, I've been a football player, not a public speaker, so, you know, I really don't know, you know, how to say what I really want to say.

You know, I understand it's - it's important or not important, you know, as far as what you say but how you say things. So, you know, I take this opportunity just to speak from the heart.

First, I want to apologize, you know, for all the things that - that I've done and that I have allowed to happen. I want to personally apologize to commissioner Goodell, Arthur Blank, coach Bobby Petrino, my Atlanta Falcons teammates, you know, for our - for our previous discussions that we had. And I was not honest and forthright in our discussions, and, you know, I was ashamed and totally disappointed in myself to say the least.

I want to apologize to all the young kids out there for my immature acts and, you know, what I did was, what I did was very immature so that means I need to grow up.

I totally ask for forgiveness and understanding as I move forward to bettering Michael Vick the person, not the football player.

I take full responsibility for my actions. For one second will I sit right here - not for one second will I sit right here and point the finger and try to blame anybody else for my actions or what I've done.

I'm totally responsible, and those things just didn't have to happen. I feel like we all make mistakes. It's just I made a mistake in using bad judgment and making bad decisions. And you know, those things, you know, just can't happen.

Dog fighting is a terrible thing, and I did reject it.

I'm upset with myself, and, you know, through this situation I found Jesus and asked him for forgiveness and turned my life over to God. And I think that's the right thing to do as of right now.

Like I said, for this - for this entire situation I never pointed the finger at anybody else, I accepted responsibility for my actions of what I did and now I have to pay the consequences for it. But in a sense, I think it will help, you know, me as a person. I got a lot to think about in the next year or so.

I offer my deepest apologies to everybody out in there in the world who was affected by this whole situation. And if I'm more disappointed with myself than anything it's because of all the young people, young kids that I've let down, who look at Michael Vick as a role model. And to have to go through this and put myself in this situation, you know, I hope that every young kid out there in the world watching this interview right now who's been following the case will use me as an example to using better judgment and making better decisions.

Once again, I offer my deepest apologies to everyone. And I will redeem myself. I have to.

So I got a lot of down time, a lot of time to think about my actions and what I've done and how to make Michael Vick a better person.

Thank you."

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He found religion? Now he's playing the "I found God" card... Whatever.

+1

You'd think that would have been the 1st thing out of his mouth....and not just an after-thought at the end of his prepared statement.

--responsibility ....check....

-- the kids....check.....

-- found Jesus....check

I mean, maybe...just maybe he did find Jesus....but me personally....I'm chalking that one up to the use of the "Jesus card".

I am not a Vick fan and I do think he's a thug. That being said, we have to remember he was involved in killing dogs...not people. I really hope he changes in prison. I think the NFL should give him another chance after he serves his debt to society. He has already destroyed his life. I think everyone deserves the right to re-establish it...once the punishment is over. I expect the judge to give him 12 months...he'll serve 8...and he'll be back somewhere for the 2009 season.

Most people find God when they are at their lowest point. It is in a time of need that you find all your faults and realize you need forgiveness. I thought it was a very sincere statement. Everyone deserves forgiveness and I can only hope he does come out a better/changed man.

+1

I am not a Vick fan and I do think he's a thug. That being said, we have to remember he was involved in killing dogs...not people. I really hope he changes in prison. I think the NFL should give him another chance after he serves his debt to society. He has already destroyed his life. I think everyone deserves the right to re-establish it...once the punishment is over. I expect the judge to give him 12 months...he'll serve 8...and he'll be back somewhere for the 2009 season.

I am/was a Vick football fan and I always felt he was a thug.

+1

You'd think that would have been the 1st thing out of his mouth....and not just an after-thought at the end of his prepared statement.

--responsibility ....check....

-- the kids....check.....

-- found Jesus....check

I mean, maybe...just maybe he did find Jesus....but me personally....I'm chalking that one up to the use of the "Jesus card".

I hate these threads so I'll throw my last :D in...

if Vick never so much as made a statement addressing all the areas in which he's been decried over the last 4 months, he'd be viewed as unrelenting in his lack of remorse.

Take it FWIW but it's a bit disingenuous to now decry his apology. Only time will tell if he means it but at least he addressed the matter.

Take it FWIW but it's a bit disingenuous to now decry his apology. Only time will tell if he means it but at least he addressed the matter.

As stated above...that is MY OPINION. I also think that Vick is the one who's "a bit disingenuous" here..... yes, time will tell if he means it, but what exactly do you expect him to do now besides being on his best behavior and "rejecting dog-fighting". :D You or I will NEVER know whether he personally deals with his problems here, we can only go by what we see and IMO that's him standing in front of a microphone yapping. Talk is cheap.

This is all about saving what little chance at a football career he has left...period.

Edited by Hitman

So now that Vick has pleaded...does he go to jail until the sentencing in December?

No. He won't serve any time until sentencing. Once he is sentenced, he'll probably have a month or so to get his affairs in order before reporting.

If he wanted to get this over with as quickly as possible, he could surrender himself immediately and start getting credit for time served. Doesn't sound like he is going to do this though. Depending upon what happens to his future status in the NFL it might be a very good idea to start serving his time now, instead of waiting until the beginning of next year.

I keep hearing all this talk, not just here, but the radio talk shows, about giving Vick a second chance in Football. My question is why should he be given a second chance in football? He's gonna get a second chance, to get his life in order after he serves his sentence and that should be good enough. Playing professional sports is not "his right"...it was a privilege. The numerious mistakes he made during this whole dogfighting mess has shut the door on that privilege given to him...in my opinion. If he changes his ways because of all this then great... great for Vick to invest some time to become a better person. 2 years is a long time to think and re-evalute what you want to change in your life. But to reinstate him into football would send a wrong message I think. It's one thing to forgive what he did...and once he does his time he will have paid his dues according to society. But society does not have to give him that same privilege back. There are numerious other jobs he can do. He doesn't have to earn a living in the NFL...with his talent and his knowledge, he can get involved in sports in some other way. But if the NFL allows him to come back into the fold they are doing the entire NFL, and its fans a huge disservice.

my :D

I keep hearing all this talk, not just here, but the radio talk shows, about giving Vick a second chance in Football. My question is why should he be given a second chance in football? He's gonna get a second chance, to get his life in order after he serves his sentence and that should be good enough. Playing professional sports is not "his right"...it was a privilege. The numerious mistakes he made during this whole dogfighting mess has shut the door on that privilege given to him...in my opinion. If he changes his ways because of all this then great... great for Vick to invest some time to become a better person. 2 years is a long time to think and re-evalute what you want to change in your life. But to reinstate him into football would send a wrong message I think. It's one thing to forgive what he did...and once he does his time he will have paid his dues according to society. But society does not have to give him that same privilege back. There are numerious other jobs he can do. He doesn't have to earn a living in the NFL...with his talent and his knowledge, he can get involved in sports in some other way. But if the NFL allows him to come back into the fold they are doing the entire NFL, and its fans a huge disservice.

Saw Bill Parcells attending horse racing the other day. The reporter said he's been at the tracks pretty much everyday since his retirement. Got me to thinking :D Is that healthy for his as well as the NFL's reputation after what just happen in the NBA and the gambling part of the dog fighting is what has gotten Vick in the most trouble.

I keep hearing all this talk, not just here, but the radio talk shows, about giving Vick a second chance in Football. My question is why should he be given a second chance in football?

well, why SHOULDN'T he be given a second chance in football? but that's not really the question either, the real question is, what is an appropriate NFL-imposed penalty for being involved in dogfighting? is it worth a lifetime ban? i dunno. to answer it, i guess you have to ask...is dogfighting worse that dealing kilo+ quantities of cocaine? is it worse than being involved in and obstructing the investigation of a murder? is it worse than serially abusing your wife/girlfriend? is it worse than having your goons shoot up a bouncer at a strip joint? i think you can make a pretty good case that each and every one of those things is as bad or worse than being involved in dogfighting. yet people who have committed all of those offenses have received far less than a lifetime ban from the NFL.

I guess because some people, myself included, don't look at playing professional football as a "privilege". I look at it as a job. A job only available to elite athletes, but a job nonetheless. I don't think someone who is convicted of a crime should be banned for life from being able to make a living - whether that living be working as a janitor or being an NFL quarterback. I think it would be unfair to say to a construction worker, for example, that because he was convicted of a crime several years ago (and served his sentence) that he can never be a construction worker again. That's depriving him of the right to make a living.

I know its hard to feel sorry for someone who makes millions of dollars for playng a game, but you kind of have to seperate the huge amounts of money that Michael Vick makes and what he does for a living from the "right to work" issue. If it was some no-name special teams guy who made the NFL minimum, you'd probably be more likely to cut him a break.

Once he gets out of jail, I think he should have the same right as anyone else to go try out for and, if he still has sufficient talent, to play for any NFL team.

Just my opinion.

well, why SHOULDN'T he be given a second chance in football? but that's not really the question either, the real question is, what is an appropriate NFL-imposed penalty for being involved in dogfighting? is it worth a lifetime ban? i dunno. to answer it, i guess you have to ask...is dogfighting worse that dealing kilo+ quantities of cocaine? is it worse than being involved in and obstructing the investigation of a murder? is it worse than serially abusing your wife/girlfriend? is it worse than having your goons shoot up a bouncer at a strip joint? i think you can make a pretty good case that each and every one of those things is as bad or worse than being involved in dogfighting. yet people who have committed all of those offenses have received far less than a lifetime ban from the NFL.

Those things have also taken place under another Commissioner. The current Commish is specifically trying to be tougher on actions like those that tarnish the reputation of the league and its franchises.

I think it would be unfair to say to a construction worker, for example, that because he was convicted of a crime several years ago (and served his sentence) that he can never be a construction worker again. That's depriving him of the right to make a living.

+1

I have no problem with the Goodell suspending him for a year or two, but I don't see how Vick is undeserving of a second chance (especially given the precedent set by previous players).

Those things have also taken place under another Commissioner. The current Commish is specifically trying to be tougher on actions like those that tarnish the reputation of the league and its franchises.

so you think it's a good policy that off-field offenses that previously would garner 2-4 game suspensions now result in lifetime bans?

Some people actually do when something traumatic happens to them. The jury is still out on Vick (no pun intended), but it would be a big step towards his recovery as a human being.

I've been banging away at the Vick situation and am convinced he's a thug, but hey, for his sake, here's hoping ... maybe after two years in jail and another year of suspension from the league after he gets out, he comes back as the human being his mamma hoped he would be and has a nice career in the NFL ...

so you think it's a good policy that off-field offenses that previously would garner 2-4 game suspensions now result in lifetime bans?

Whether I think its a good policy or not doesn't matter (but for the record, I think thougher penalties are not a bad thing)... its the reality that this new Commissioner has purposely stated that he's trying to accomplish. Regardless of precedent, he wants to clean up the image of the NFL. After what he has done with Pacman Jones, he now pretty much has to throw the book at Vick. What that should look like in terms of a length of suspension I serisouly have no idea. But I think making comparisons to suspensions that were handed down pre-Goodell just won't hold up given the current situation.

Whether I think its a good policy or not doesn't matter (but for the record, I think thougher penalties are not a bad thing)... its the reality that this new Commissioner has purposely stated that he's trying to accomplish. Regardless of precedent, he wants to clean up the image of the NFL. After what he has done with Pacman Jones, he now pretty much has to throw the book at Vick. What that should look like in terms of a length of suspension I serisouly have no idea. But I think making comparisons to suspensions that were handed down pre-Goodell just won't hold up given the current situation.

in a sense, i agree with that. they want to be tougher, great. go for it. but to go from a couple games for a serious felony to a lifetime ban is a little over the top. i think a 2 year suspension, served concurrently with his jail sentence, would clearly send whatever "tough" message goodell is trying to send, without being ridiculously knee-jerk.

in a sense, i agree with that. they want to be tougher, great. go for it. but to go from a couple games for a serious felony to a lifetime ban is a little over the top. i think a 2 year suspension, served concurrently with his jail sentence, would clearly send whatever "tough" message goodell is trying to send, without being ridiculously knee-jerk.

I'm sure most people would be able to live with that. Of course just the fact the he could come off of a suspension is no guarantee that any of the 32 teams would be willing to risk the sure-to-be-bad publicity that would come with having Vick on their roster after this is all said and done.