[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Sleeper strong safeties

This is a huge spot of change from a year ago, and many gems can be found late out of this group.

Eric Coleman is back at the SS spot. Look at his 05 numbers vs Rhodes

Donte Whitner isnt a sleeper per say, he just hasnt put up a huge year yet, but its coming.

Chris Harris was acquired from Chicago via trade this offseason to start for recently retired Mike Minter in Carolina

Antonie Bethea is now starting in Indy, and when healthy is a great.

Atari Bigby is looking like he is going to get the nod in Green Bay

Bernard Pollard is now the starting SS in KC, and this kid has Stud wrtten all over him

James Butler is pushing Gibril Wilson from the SS spot in NY, moving Wilson to FS. Keep an eye on this situation.

Roman Harper was lights out last yr before getting hurt for the season. New Orleans has a gem here.

Deon Grant takes over the SS position in Seattle, and he could have a nice season.

Laron Landry was drafted to be the SS for the next decade in Washington.

Adam Archuleta is often overlooked because he was benched in Washington last yr, but is now in Chicago and thriving again.

The TB situation hasnt shaken out yet, but last yrs stud Jermaine Phillips has competition for his job this year from rookie Sabby Piscitelli

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

Great info here! Thanks Sgt.

Seems like you covered just about all the bases.

Another name I will mention is Michael Lewis. Like Archuletta, he was benched in Philly for lack of coverage ability. However he is supposed to play linebacker when in the nickle formation in San Francisco.

Edited by Crazysight

Picked up Butler & Harris dirt cheap in a couple of dynasty leagues already. Both are in line to at a minimum add quality depth to a FF secondary, and in the schemes they play in, either could easily put up starter type numbers.

I've seen Bigby play a bit this preseason, and his only qualification for the job is that he's better than Manuel. That's not a ringing endorsement. I think he's keeping the seat warm until Rouse is fully up to speed. Rouse has already lit up a couple of guys in the preseason & hits like a freight train (and arrives like an express). I like Rouse's chances in the 2nd half of the season to be a very good FF SS.

I would offer a word of caution on Coleman... E Smith looked like he was going to take the starting spot away from Coleman until Smith got hurt pretty early in TC. Coleman is a holdover from the Herm Edwards days, and Smith was drafted by the new regime, and they clearly like him... he's a big hitter, but can't cover as well as Coleman. Smith also seems to know the system better, making fewer mistakes than Coleman. I expect at the least, that by some point, Smith and Coleman will be in a rotation during the season, while Rhodes is the leader of the Jets D backs, calling the coverages and will play full time in any package.

Smith got hurt, came back too soon, and got hurt again, but should be ready to play at least part time in the opener. In any case, the Jets safeties should rack up plenty of tackles as the run D doesn't look very improved for this year. Rhodes is still the guy to own, given the Coleman/Smith situation. Rhodes is still the SS, but the Jets scheme calls for both safeties to often be used interchangably.

I think you will see more Coleman against teams with deep threats, like the Pats, because he can cover better than Smith, but more Smith against run first offenses. Having said that, Smith can catch anything he can touch, and Mangini has talked about his ability to come down with the ball. Rhodes remains the main guy here.

I like the list Sarge, just chiming in on how I see the Jets situation falling out over the course of the season.

On a side note.... Revis is getting lots of praise early on, looked very good against the Giants and is likely to win both the punt return and starting CB jobs sooner or later... this year. Chansi Stuckey has also looked good on punt returns, and I wonder if the Jets are willing to risk Revis in that role, although they have never demonstrated being that reserved in the past. Personally, I would not risk Revis that way, but Mangini will likely play the best player, regardless.

This is a huge spot of change from a year ago, and many gems can be found late out of this group.

Eric Coleman is back at the SS spot. Look at his 05 numbers vs Rhodes

Donte Whitner isnt a sleeper per say, he just hasnt put up a huge year yet, but its coming.

Chris Harris was acquired from Chicago via trade this offseason to start for recently retired Mike Minter in Carolina

Antonie Bethea is now starting in Indy, and when healthy is a great.

Atari Bigby is looking like he is going to get the nod in Green Bay

Bernard Pollard is now the starting SS in KC, and this kid has Stud wrtten all over him

James Butler is pushing Gibril Wilson from the SS spot in NY, moving Wilson to FS. Keep an eye on this situation.

Roman Harper was lights out last yr before getting hurt for the season. New Orleans has a gem here.

Deon Grant takes over the SS position in Seattle, and he could have a nice season.

Laron Landry was drafted to be the SS for the next decade in Washington.

Adam Archuleta is often overlooked because he was benched in Washington last yr, but is now in Chicago and thriving again.

The TB situation hasnt shaken out yet, but last yrs stud Jermaine Phillips has competition for his job this year from rookie Sabby Piscitelli

good stuff :D

I would offer a word of caution on Coleman... E Smith looked like he was going to take the starting spot away from Coleman until Smith got hurt pretty early in TC. Coleman is a holdover from the Herm Edwards days, and Smith was drafted by the new regime, and they clearly like him... he's a big hitter, but can't cover as well as Coleman. Smith also seems to know the system better, making fewer mistakes than Coleman. I expect at the least, that by some point, Smith and Coleman will be in a rotation during the season, while Rhodes is the leader of the Jets D backs, calling the coverages and will play full time in any package.

Smith got hurt, came back too soon, and got hurt again, but should be ready to play at least part time in the opener. In any case, the Jets safeties should rack up plenty of tackles as the run D doesn't look very improved for this year. Rhodes is still the guy to own, given the Coleman/Smith situation. Rhodes is still the SS, but the Jets scheme calls for both safeties to often be used interchangably.

I think you will see more Coleman against teams with deep threats, like the Pats, because he can cover better than Smith, but more Smith against run first offenses. Having said that, Smith can catch anything he can touch, and Mangini has talked about his ability to come down with the ball. Rhodes remains the main guy here.

I like the list Sarge, just chiming in on how I see the Jets situation falling out over the course of the season.

On a side note.... Revis is getting lots of praise early on, looked very good against the Giants and is likely to win both the punt return and starting CB jobs sooner or later... this year. Chansi Stuckey has also looked good on punt returns, and I wonder if the Jets are willing to risk Revis in that role, although they have never demonstrated being that reserved in the past. Personally, I would not risk Revis that way, but Mangini will likely play the best player, regardless.

Nothing like inside info from a homer. Good Stuff Rovers.

Great info here! Thanks Sgt.

Seems like you covered just about all the bases.

Another name I will mention is Michael Lewis. Like Archuletta, he was benched in Philly for lack of coverage ability. However he is supposed to play linebacker when in the nickle formation in San Francisco.

absolutely. The only problem I see with this situation, is if Michael Lewis struggles early on, Keith Lewis could take over.

I've heard it mentioned here several times that Jermaine Phillips is facing some stiff competition for his job from Piscatelli...but I've never actually read it anywhere else.

Sarge -- do you have a source to share on that issue? I'm not necessarily doubting it, but I'd like to see it with my own two eyes, since I own Phillips in a couple of leagues. :D

I've heard it mentioned here several times that Jermaine Phillips is facing some stiff competition for his job from Piscatelli...but I've never actually read it anywhere else.

Sarge -- do you have a source to share on that issue? I'm not necessarily doubting it, but I'd like to see it with my own two eyes, since I own Phillips in a couple of leagues. :D

Down here in Tampa they love this kid. There is plenty of talk of it going on. Last year, everyone hated Phillips because he got burned so much. It would not shock me to see Piscitelli take the job. Might be hard to keep it as a rookie, but he should at least get a chance at some point.

Down here in Tampa they love this kid. There is plenty of talk of it going on. Last year, everyone hated Phillips because he got burned so much. It would not shock me to see Piscitelli take the job. Might be hard to keep it as a rookie, but he should at least get a chance at some point.

Still no link??

Basically, my question comes down to this: Why would they stick with Phillips through '04 and '05, but demote him after his best year in '06?

And if they are considering demoting him, why can I read about it somewhere?

Just started searching and found these two tidbits:

Aug. 2, 2007 - 12:45 a.m. ET

Safety Jermaine Phillips remains at the top of the depth chart in Tampa.

Sabby Piscitelli hasn't made much obvious headway in the competition. He'll need to be watched closely during the season in IDP leagues, however, as Piscitelli figures to make a run at Phillips if his tackling remains suspect.

Source: Palm Beach Post

----------

Aug. 17 - 3:14 pm et

Safeties Will Allen and Jermaine Phillips were reportedly among the best players at Bucs training camp.

They had to be, and will continue to have to be during the season to hold off rookies Tanard Jackson and Sabby Piscitelli. Allen was especially disappointing in 2006, but will be starting at free safety to begin the season.

I guess I'm not too worried about Phillips losing his job. Obviously, he he plays poorly in the beginning of the season, his owners should be concerned. But Piscatelli is not a superior player at this point; if he were, it would have shown up in TC/preseason.

Bottom line: The perceived competition for Phillips' job is making him severely undervalued right now. He was a top-5 DB last year, and you can get him at a MUCH cheaper price right now.

Edited by Swiss Cheezhead