[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

(update) Kevin Jones off the PUP

MERLINS

(KFFL) Tom Kowalski, of MLive.com, reports Detroit Lions RB Kevin Jones (foot) will stay on the Physically Unable to Perform list and miss the first five games of the season after the doctor who performed Jones' foot surgery agreed with the Lions' medical staff about keeping Jones on the list, according to a source.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't bet the farm on this happening. Kowalski has not always been the most dependable guy for info. It wouldn't surprise me if this was true, but I wouldn't be shocked if "Killer" was jumping the gun, either.

Word. There's nothing in the local papers yet.

The problem with drafting a guy like Jones is that it's easy to be lulled into the idea that he'll only be out 5-6 weeks. Bottom line is the guy hasn't taken a hit in a long time. He's not in "football shape" as they say. I believe when you're on the PUP list you aren't allowed to participate in practices (someone can correct me on that). So when he comes back, it's going to take some time.

He won't be ready to contribute in Week 7 when he comes back. I'd say best case scenario, the earliest you could realistically start Jones in a fantasy league is Week 8. Looking at the schedule, he plays the Bears in Week 8 . . . hmmm . . . probably not starting him then either. Maybe Week 9.

So essentially you're holding a guy on your roster for eight weeks and clinging to the glimmer of hope that you might be able to squeeze four decent games out of him before your fantasy regular season ends. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

For those who think you got a steal taking Jones in the middle part of your draft, I'd be re-thinking that assessment.

The problem with drafting a guy like Jones is that it's easy to be lulled into the idea that he'll only be out 5-6 weeks. Bottom line is the guy hasn't taken a hit in a long time. He's not in "football shape" as they say. I believe when you're on the PUP list you aren't allowed to participate in practices (someone can correct me on that). So when he comes back, it's going to take some time.

He won't be ready to contribute in Week 7 when he comes back. I'd say best case scenario, the earliest you could realistically start Jones in a fantasy league is Week 8. Looking at the schedule, he plays the Bears in Week 8 . . . hmmm . . . probably not starting him then either. Maybe Week 9.

So essentially you're holding a guy on your roster for eight weeks and clinging to the glimmer of hope that you might be able to squeeze four decent games out of him before your fantasy regular season ends. Sounds like a bad idea to me.

For those who think you got a steal taking Jones in the middle part of your draft, I'd be re-thinking that assessment.

When you are six deep at RB (SJax, Henry, FTaylor, Jordan, BJax, KJ), got him on the cheap ($21 auction) and can put him on an IR list (as I can), getting him back in Week 7 is like making a major trade...without having to give anything up.

If you overpaid for him and needed him to contribute right away else your season is over before it begins, you are in trouble.

I took him knowing it was a risk. It may or may not be a steal. We won't know until and if he actually plays. He could be a boon at playoff time.

That's why I took him, for the playoffs. I may not get there but if I do and he plays it could be a good move.

Kevin Jones is in shape, and will be close to "football shape" by the time week 6 rolls around.

You can't say if he'll be ready to contribute week 7 or not, we'll have to wait and see.

As far as not starting because he's playing against the bears is non-sense... What he does in the passing game more than makes up any problems they have in the running game.

I have him in my dynasty and never thought about letting him go.

So who would be better to have on my roster, Kevin Jones or Vernand Morency?

Has this been announced officially?

No, it hasn't

I think people are thinking this has happened because the Huddle Priority email says it has, as well as Killer from Mlive reporting it.

The only thing that has been said as far as Marineli or anyone from the staff is that they'll convene Monday with Coaches, the doc that performed the surgery, trainers and Kevin Jones to decide...

The problem is said to have nothing to do with his foot, but if he's mentally ready to take contact.

No, it hasn't

I think people are thinking this has happened because the Huddle Priority email says it has, as well as Killer from Mlive reporting it.

The only thing that has been said as far as Marineli or anyone from the staff is that they'll convene Monday with Coaches, the doc that performed the surgery, trainers and Kevin Jones to decide...

The problem is said to have nothing to do with his foot, but if he's mentally ready to take contact.

Thanks.

Kowalski reported it the same day KJ had the foot looked at again by the doctor who did the surgery. If it has been decided I wonder why it hasn't been announced. I still think he should sit for the 6 weeks but wonder what the surgeon said.

I would agree with this if they had not been debating on whether to keep him on the roster or PUP him. the fact that they almost started the year with him on the roster says he is close.JMO.

Despite me being a Lions fan don't think it is homerism because I have been Kevin Jones biggest doubter. and still don't think he great...just average. and he is also injury prone. but he is twice the back Tatum Bell is and grabbing him if you are slim at RB in the middle rounds makes all kinds of sense to me.

I would agree with this if they had not been debating on whether to keep him on the roster or PUP him. the fact that they almost started the year with him on the roster says he is close.JMO.

Despite me being a Lions fan don't think it is homerism because I have been Kevin Jones biggest doubter. and still don't think he great...just average. and he is also injury prone. but he is twice the back Tatum Bell is and grabbing him if you are slim at RB in the middle rounds makes all kinds of sense to me.

Oddly enough, I'm a hugh Kevin Jones fan. While I don't think he's great, I also don't think he's average. I think he's good and if he can stay healthy he can be very good.

Its going to be interesting to see if they keep him on the PUP for the first 6 weeks, or if he plays earlier...

Oddly enough, I'm a hugh Kevin Jones fan. While I don't think he's great, I also don't think he's average. I think he's good and if he can stay healthy he can be very good.

Its going to be interesting to see if they keep him on the PUP for the first 6 weeks, or if he plays earlier...

If put on the PUP list to start the season, he must stay on it through week 6. Then the team has 3 weeks to decide whether to put him on the regular roster or to IR.