[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

After the draft, we have a league issue

TDFFFreak

I'll make this as simple as possible:

A random draft order was assigned by pulling names out of a hat. This is a one player keeper league where that player must be a player drafted 5th round or later, you lose that round pick in the draft, and can only hold that player for a total of 3 seasons.

There were no discussions about how a waiver wire priority order would be set, but we did change the waiver wire process from a FCFS on Tuesdays to a waiver wire pick up system. It was an oversight on the league's part (I am not the commish). So we get our draft order and draft last night. What follows is the desire expressed by several owners to make the priority for waiver pick ups in the reverse order of the draft.

I would have no problem with this if we had decided to do this before draft positions were assigned, but now that it's after I think there is too much self interest involved and the right thing to do is assign the waiver priority randomly as we did with draft order.

Thoughts? Opinions? Am I off base?

Whether or not there is self-interest involved, I would think reverse-order is the most fair. Just my opinion.

+1

reverse draft order is pretty standard.

+1

Giving the guy who picked last in the draft the first priority on waivers is throwing them a bone, and it should only last until the first week when waiver priority is determined by record.

Stuff like this is usually blown out of proportion. I’d vote to change the rule next year, but leave this year as it was last year. That’s the way to solve this stuff, as once people have a vested interest in the outcome, the stage is set for sore feelings. Propose this right away, and it should appease both sides.

Reverse draft order is the standard. If someone disagrees, put it to a vote.

I don't like the concept of waiver moves before the season starts. My philosophy for Week 1 is - "you drafted 'em, you play 'em". I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy who drafted his team in mid-late August (with the same amount of available information as everyone else), then wants to make changes before Week 1 even starts. If someone gets hurt, or you simply want to upgrade a position based on something that has happened between the time of your draft - too bad. You have to wait until after Week 1 is over. Then go in reverse order of record with points scored as the tiebreaker.

I don't like the concept of waiver moves before the season starts. My philosophy for Week 1 is - "you drafted 'em, you play 'em". I don't have a lot of sympathy for the guy who drafted his team in mid-late August (with the same amount of available information as everyone else), then wants to make changes before Week 1 even starts. If someone gets hurt, or you simply want to upgrade a position based on something that has happened between the time of your draft - too bad. You have to wait until after Week 1 is over. Then go in reverse order of record with points scored as the tiebreaker.

thats how my local used to do it

Stuff like this is usually blown out of proportion. I’d vote to change the rule next year, but leave this year as it was last year. That’s the way to solve this stuff, as once people have a vested interest in the outcome, the stage is set for sore feelings. Propose this right away, and it should appease both sides.

I agree with this, but since we voted predraft on a waiver process, we need to decide on the waiver priority now. We didn't have any thing to measure it against.

I agree with that as well.

why isn't waiver order done in terms of record, then points scored? that the most common way I've seen :D

This makes sense to me, but I think we need something previous to week 1.

This makes sense to me, but I think we need something previous to week 1.

Why? everyone would be in the same boat if you had to wait until week 1 is complete.

You guys elected to go with a waiver system. Waivers can only be decided worst-to-first, which in turn can only be determined after Week 1.

Change the rule for next year, but for this year, it seems pretty simple...wait until after Week 1, when worst-to-first can be determined.

Putting it to a vote at this point, when you know the vote of some teams is going to be slanted (since they might be picking first), is certainly not fair.

Why? everyone would be in the same boat if you had to wait until week 1 is complete.

You guys elected to go with a waiver system. Waivers can only be decided worst-to-first, which in turn can only be determined after Week 1.

Change the rule for next year, but for this year, it seems pretty simple...wait until after Week 1, when worst-to-first can be determined.

Putting it to a vote at this point, when you know the vote of some teams is going to be slanted (since they might be picking first), is certainly not fair.

And ultimately, that's my point. I think a randomly selected waiver priority order is the right thing to do this year.

The commish has stated that he will do just that.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I would rely on the commish to make the deicision. If he wants to vote or just make a decision that is fine by me. Of course if I am not happy I will either tell people to get a new commish for next year or quit the league (next year). But you signed up knowing this person is the commish so let him do his job.

And ultimately, that's my point. I think a randomly selected waiver priority order is the right thing to do this year.

That's your opinion, but I am sure not the opinion of everyone. Certainly, there is a "worst-team-on-paper" who is looking forward to a top pick once Week 1 waivers is determined. But at this point, a randomly-selected order could potentially allow the best team (i.e LT or Sjax owner) to garner the first pick. Not fair by any means.

Ultimately, you should have put the rule in place of how waivers would be determined. But since your league neglected to do this, the only thing fair to everyone would be to wait until Week 1 is in the books. Every owner should be fine with this solution. Any other solution (i.e league-vote or commish-decision) is going to result in some salty owners...not a fun way to start the year.

What if the commish has the #12 pick in the draft, and then decides on his own that the waiver order is reverse-draft order? Doesn't seem fair to me.

Wait until after week 1...fair to everyone.

When I put confidence in someone I will not doubt them. If they show to me they are abusing the priviledge then wait till his term is over and remove him or leave the league. This is why choosing a good commish is important. If you second guess his moves thats where the troubles begin...then why have one?

Waiting to after week 1 isnt fair to everyone if some people where relying on hitting the WW pre week 1. My point is unless it is clearly written before the draft you cant say it is fair to everyone. Everyone has a different view point and it is the commish to do the right thing (he/she believes).

Edited by MrTed46

Waiting to after week 1 isnt fair to everyone if some people where relying on hitting the WW pre week 1. My point is unless it is clearly written before the draft you cant say it is fair to everyone. Everyone has a different view point and it is the commish to do the right thing (he/she believes).

The draft was last night....are you intimating that some people drafted a full team, then were relying on the WW pre-Week 1 to field their best team for Week 1?

If I was commish of this league, I'd have a hard time buying this argument.

Point is, in a situation like this where there is ambiguity, the commish has to decided what is in the best interest of the league. Look at the facts:

1. Nothing written in the rules that states free agency will begin Pre Week-1

2. Rules are written that state WW moves will be worst-to-first...how can a worst-to-first be determined until the first week is played?

3. No one can sanely argue that, after drafting last night, they need a WW move today to field their best team (unless one of their starters drafted last night got hurt overnight).

I do agree that the Commish has to do the right thing...which, I beleive, was the topic of this post...that is, what is the right thing? To change the rules for one week (from worst-to-first to a random selection) doesn't seem right....to do reverse draft order on a whim doesn't seem right, either...to wait until a worst-to-first can be established, as the rules state, seem right, in lieu of any other rule being in place.

By all means, they should put a rule in place to handle this next year, for sure.