[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Long-time local league draft tonight....

Gopher

I moved to CA 3+ years ago, but have continued to participate in 3 "local" drafts with various groups of friends back in MN and Sioux Falls, SD. Tonight, I am doing the SD draft by phone. I drew the #6 pick and was able to trade with the guy who drew #12 (easier to draft by phone and I said before the cards were drawn that I would trade any pick for #12 unless I drew #1 or #2). Pretty standard scoring, no PPR, no TE required.

Everything went pretty much EXACTLY as expected in the first round. Running backs always go fast in this league and the first eleven picks were all RB's. I took Maroney and Chad Johnson at the turn. By the time it came back to me at 3.12, five QB's had been taken (which surprised me, since TD passes are only 3 points), including the "top 4" and Bulger. I was faced with limited options at RB, but felt I had to grab a decent #2, and went with Portis. I was very happy to get Andre Johnson with the 4.1 pick, hoping that either McNabb or Kitna make it back to me at the 5.12/6.1 turn.

Well, both Kitna and McNabb were available after a long WR run, so I went with McNabb. Confident that Johnson and Johnson give me a solid start to a better-than-average WR group, I decided to diversify my RB's, and went with Jerious Norwood with my 6th pick. So far, I am happy with my draft, but a little bit miffed that I have picked 3 RB's that I feelt I have to handcuff. At the next turn, I will take the Chicago or Baltimore defense if available, and probably have to grab Betts if someone hasn't stolen him already. If he's gone, I'll settle for either Dunn or go for WR #3.

Update: Missed out on Betts and most of the top defenses/kickers that I was targeting. Also waited a round too long for a backup and got Pennington (Wanted somebody like E. Manning, A. Smith, or Campbell to back up McNabb, since health is a concern). Here is my final roster:

McNabb 5.12

Pennington 14.1

Maroney 1.12

Portis 3.12

Norwood 6.1

Dunn 7.12

S. Morris 9.12

M. Bell 10.1

C. Johnson 2.1

A. Johnson 4.1

S. Holmes 8.1

R. Curry 11.12

J. Jones 12.1

P. Crayton 16.1

Scobee 15.12

CAR defense 13.12

Overall, I'm very happy with my WR's. Hopefully, enough of them pan out that I can make a trade offer (maybe something like Bell and Holmes/Curry) for Betts a couple of weeks into the season (before Portis gets hurt again). Wanted a more reliable backup QB, but McNabb at the 5/6 turn could possibly be a steal (if he stays healthy). Probably should have taken Betts at the 5/6 turn instead (as it turns out, I could have gotten Kitna at the 7/8 turn). But, happy with Norwood as my #3 and Mike Bell could be a nice #4. I consider Dunn and Morris nothing more than handcuffs.

My kicker and defense are not exactly who I was looking for, but they're both decently ranked this year. Carolina's defense performed poorly in this league last year, but Scobee was the #5 overall kicker, ahead of guys like Kasay, Graham, Elam, Vinatieri, Gostkowski, Rackers, Mare, and Gould (all of whom were drafted before I took Scobee), so I feel fortunate to get him at the last turn.

Not looking for "Rate my team" responses or anything..... Just thought I'd share in case anybody else is in the #12 spot and is looking for some examples of drafts that are fairly competitive, with relatively normal scoring, etc.

I think we chatted about this when we met up :D in Benicia way back when.... but my first league (my "local") is also made up of guys from Minny/Sioux Falls. Our draft is on the 3rd or 4th (I should figure that out....) and our league is similar (no TE required, no PPR, although we get big points for long TDs). Really looking forward to it... although this year it'll be done by phone. There's a couple guys in SoCal, a few in MN/SD....

:D

:D Headed over to the Bottom of the 5th for beers as we speak. Then, this afternoon, my wife and I are heading to Mammoth Lakes for the 3-day weekend....fishing, golf, grilling, and more beers!

I moved to CA 3+ years ago, but have continued to participate in 3 "local" drafts with various groups of friends back in MN and Sioux Falls, SD. Tonight, I am doing the SD draft by phone. I drew the #6 pick and was able to trade with the guy who drew #12 (easier to draft by phone and I said before the cards were drawn that I would trade any pick for #12 unless I drew #1 or #2). Pretty standard scoring, no PPR, no TE required.

Everything went pretty much EXACTLY as expected in the first round. Running backs always go fast in this league and the first eleven picks were all RB's. I took Maroney and Chad Johnson at the turn. By the time it came back to me at 3.12, five QB's had been taken (which surprised me, since TD passes are only 3 points), including the "top 4" and Bulger. I was faced with limited options at RB, but felt I had to grab a decent #2, and went with Portis. I was very happy to get Andre Johnson with the 4.1 pick, hoping that either McNabb or Kitna make it back to me at the 5.12/6.1 turn.

Well, both Kitna and McNabb were available after a long WR run, so I went with McNabb. Confident that Johnson and Johnson give me a solid start to a better-than-average WR group, I decided to diversify my RB's, and went with Jerious Norwood with my 6th pick. So far, I am happy with my draft, but a little bit miffed that I have picked 3 RB's that I feelt I have to handcuff. At the next turn, I will take the Chicago or Baltimore defense if available, and probably have to grab Betts if someone hasn't stolen him already. If he's gone, I'll settle for either Dunn or go for WR #3.

Where in the Bay Area do you live?-I used to live in Alamo.

I do live in Fairfield, work in Benicia, but just got a promotion, and will be working out of South San Francisco in two weeks. Now, I need to figure out where to move, since the commute from Fairfield to the city would be about two hours each way. :D