[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Go Mountaineers

theeohiostate

That could have more to do with how useless pre season rankings are than the magnitude of the upset. Because a bunch of guys who are basically all guessing at who is good decided UM was #5 shouldn't really have that much bearing on the historical significance of this loss. I mean, UM could end up 7-5 this year for all we know and then, all of a sudden, this doesn't look so insane.

Give me a break... They were undefeated headed into the horseshoe and almost pulled a victory out. They lost a lot on defense, but still returned the best offensive lineman in college, Henne, Manningham, and Hart...

They were a top 5-10 team coming in... That doesn't matter now, but I think its kind of lame that in a way you're downplaying what just happened.

We're talking the no.5 team in the nation to a team that isn't even in Division 1A football...

I don't care though, as I couldn't care any less about hockey.

You didn't need to know anything about hockey to appreciate it. It was in the heart of the cold war - with the Americans upsetting the heavily favored Soviets in the Olympics. :D

You didn't need to know anything about hockey to appreciate it. It was in the heart of the cold war - with the Americans upsetting the heavily favored Soviets in the Olympics. :D

Were there 110 other hockey teams that were supposed to be better? I understand the upset during the cold war... I'm not downplaying that at all.

I'm saying that this is an elite college team that was outplayed by freaking Appalachian State. I don't want to get into this debate with any of you because I know where it will go. Back to the topic at hand...

Appalachian State owned Michigan

Give me a break... They were undefeated headed into the horseshoe and almost pulled a victory out. They lost a lot on defense, but still returned the best offensive lineman in college, Henne, Manningham, and Hart...

They were a top 5-10 team coming in... That doesn't matter now, but I think its kind of lame that in a way you're downplaying what just happened.

Not agreeing that this is the single greatest upset of anyone's lifetime is "downplaying" it? Sorry, but that's a pretty freaking high standard. How 'bout the US Revolutionary War? I mean, that was kind of big, wasn't it? Jets v Colts SB III?

Each and every year, some team ranked top 5 pre-season fails to live up to the hype. Why not UM? Is it really that unfeasible? Could it possibly be that they're not that good?

Kindly refrain from pointing to last year as any evidence that this year's UM team should be all that. I was never convinced about either them or OSU and made it very clear on this board as both were basically operating in the Big 10 vacuum. Each having nothing more than a decent out of conference win to stand on. Both got throttled in their bowl games.

Were there 110 other hockey teams that were supposed to be better? I understand the upset during the cold war... I'm not downplaying that at all.

I'm saying that this is an elite college team that was outplayed by freaking Appalachian State. I don't want to get into this debate with any of you because I know where it will go. Back to the topic at hand...

Appalachian State owned Michigan

Why do you think that each and every D-1 team should be better than App St? My guess is that they would be about middle of the pack over all and would not be the worst team in any of the BCS conferences.

Not agreeing that this is the single greatest upset of anyone's lifetime is "downplaying" it? Sorry, but that's a pretty freaking high standard. How 'bout the US Revolutionary War? I mean, that was kind of big, wasn't it? Jets v Colts SB III?

Each and every year, some team ranked top 5 pre-season fails to live up to the hype. Why not UM? Is it really that unfeasible? Could it possibly be that they're not that good?

Kindly refrain from pointing to last year as any evidence that this year's UM team should be all that. I was never convinced about either them or OSU and made it very clear on this board as both were basically operating in the Big 10 vacuum. Each having nothing more than a decent out of conference win to stand on. Both got throttled in their bowl games.

Are you freaking kidding me? You're bringing in the Revolutionary War? I'll top that... How did Johnny Utah penetrate the tight band of brothers who were dressing as presidents and robbing banks to fund their year round surfing and skydiving trips? That was a bigger upset in my book...

Or John Matrix taking on a columbian drug lords army to rescue his daughter who was abducted.

We're talking sports here sir, not US history, films, or comic books.

Are you freaking kidding me? You're bringing in the Revolutionary War?

Actually, I was basically pointing out the absurdity of your claim. Honestly, I think App St. could play with a ton of teams of a caliber that step up at least every few years and shock a team. Especially early in the season, when we really have no idea who is actually good.

Michigan will likely play a few teams in the Big 10 that should not be heavily favored if at all vs App St.

I think the fundamental problem you are having is a rather illogical assumption that the best 1-AA team is the 111th best college FB team in the country.

Well, that and the fact that UM was the 5th best team in the country just because a bunch of guys who had yet to watch a live game this year decided they were.