[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

From the CrockPot-Week 1

PantherDave

Well, a new season is upon us and it starts up on Thursday night. So, it's time to start some slow-cooking and football viewing!!!!! I thought I'd start off week 1 with a very unique dish. I feel most will like this and a few may not, now I would not say it's a "required" taste, but just a different twist on a football menu staple-Ribs. So, without further ado.................................................................

SOUR APPLE RIBS

1 1/2lb pork ribs, fat trimmed

1/2 cup white wine or apple juice

2lbs sauerkraut, undrained(bagged or canned)

3 medium onions, sliced into rings

2 cans(8oz each)mushrooms, drained

3 large Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into wedges

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/2 tsp celery seed

Step 1- Cut ribs off rack. In a nonstick skillet, brown ribs, top and bottom Season with salt and pepper.

Step 2- Place ribs in CP. Deglaze the skillet with wine or juice. Set drippings aside.

Step 3- In a large bowl, mix together sauerkraut, onions, mushrooms, apple wedges, brown sugar, and celery seed. Spoon over ribs. Pour reserved drippings on top.

Step 4- Cover. Cook on low 7 to 9 hrs/ high 3 to 4 hrs.

I do this one in my 4 qt'er and it's a ( to me) great way to change up cooking ribs, and as with anything CP related, tweak things abit if you feel the need. I have always done this one "by the book"- I do sometimes add a smedge of pickle brine. If you use apple juice it's the sweeter and make sure the white wine if used is not to dry-use a "fruity on the sweetside" white wine.

Now to some football-Thursday Night Opener. I like the Colts to win a very tight played game with the OT dictating to the DT in this one.

Saints 31

Colts 38

Well, Week 1 is in the books, and as always-Good Luck on the Homer Front and FF Wise!!! Bon Appetite-Peace PD.

Edited by PantherDave

• 1 month later...

We did this as our October-Fest (Oktobeir) meal, hence the kraut, and we loved it. Ribs can get generic(but always tasty) done the many normal and traditional ways, but this was way different and very good-Highly recommended by the Waffle Clan. Props once again PD, man, this forum is great!!!!!!!!!

We did this as our October-Fest (Oktobeir) meal, hence the kraut, and we loved it. Ribs can get generic(but always tasty) done the many normal and traditional ways, but this was way different and very good-Highly recommended by the Waffle Clan. Props once again PD, man, this forum is great!!!!!!!!!

We did the same for an Octoberfest party here in the neighborhood and they were a hit.....I most definently ate to much that night :D