[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ronnie Brown to share the load

PaulOttCarruth

http://dolphinsindepth.blogspot.com/2007/0...l-begin-in.html

Cameron has confirmed what I wrote last week about the running back competition: Brown and Jesse Chatman will share the load this year, regardless of which one starts from week to week. In that regard, the committee meeting of the Dolphins running attack is in session.

"You need two backs in this business," Cameron said. "You can't interpret that as a negative. But you'll see both those backs in a game."

No offense, but every coach says that this time of year. Hell, they even are saying it with LT, and he's the best back in the business. They used to say it with Edgerrin all time, "yeah, we need to use both backs to keep Edge fresh" And then Edge would have 90% of the carries. We'll see how the percentages work out.

another beat writer's opinion on this topic . . .

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_football_dolphins/

Brown, who said he did a few kickoffs on Monday, took most of the first team carries, but I have to believe cutting Cory Schlesinger means we will see a lot of Brown and Chatman together, with Brown serving as the H-back. That was when Brown was at his best at Auburn, and I think Cam Cameron has concluded using him in that role again would greatly benefit Miami's offense. Why else would the organization have only keep two tight ends and Reagan Mauia, a rookie fullback with broken hand on the 53-man roster.

hmmm, H-back eh? Have they shown any of that in the pre-season?

Anybody else think that Cam is being a little too "fancy" with this team? I've got a feeling he should be working on the fundamentals, 'cause all the trick plays and misdirection and drafting a guy like Ginn don't mean much when your o-line gets blown up and there are defenders in the backfield. . .

Edited by CaptainHook

Well, I would still expect Ronnie Brown to cut loose for a big game early in the season... if you are still down on him at that point, you simply trade him away while his value is high. I'm still in the camp that just doesn't see Chatman as a threat to suddenly develop enough talent to steal significant time from Brown. Anyone paying attention the last 30 years knows that a RB won't peak for you unless you get him a good 20 carries a game.

The only thing that makes me kinda nervous is that Cameron strikes me as the kind of egomaniac that would force his team into a losing strategy just because he stubbornly believes that he somehow knows more than everyone else.... regardless of whether or not it actually works in the real world.

The only thing that makes me kinda nervous is that Cameron strikes me as the kind of egomaniac that would force his team into a losing strategy just because he stubbornly believes that he somehow knows more than everyone else.... regardless of whether or not it actually works in the real world.

eh, not so much an egomaniac as an offensive guy who thinks his system will work. If it doesn't, and he doesn't adjust, then yeah, he's an egomainiac. . .

Anybody else think that Cam is being a little too "fancy" with this team? I've got a feeling he should be working on the fundamentals, 'cause all the trick plays and misdirection and drafting a guy like Ginn don't mean much when your o-line gets blown up and there are defenders in the backfield. . .

He seems to be following the same blueprint that Steve Spurrier so successfully implemented with the Redskins. :D

Although there hasn't been an official announcement on the starting RB, Brown wasn't returning kicks in practice. As Herald staffer Armando Salguero suggested, "So much for that preseason head game. ... HC Cam Cameron has confirmed what I wrote last week about the running back competition: Brown and Jesse Chatman will share the load this year, regardless of which one starts from week to week." As Cameron explained "You need two backs in this business. You can't interpret that as a negative. But you'll see both those backs in a game."

In fact, South Florida Sun-Sentinel staffer Omar Kelly believes cutting FB Cory Schlesinger means we will see a lot of Brown and Chatman together, with Brown serving as the halfback. That was when Brown was at his best at Auburn, and Cameron has concluded using him in that role again would greatly benefit Miami's offense. Why else would the organization have only keep two tight ends and Reagan Mauia, a rookie fullback with broken hand on the 53-man roster? It's a good point.

"Coach speak"

Sharing the load could mean that Chatman gets 5 carries per game.

Exactly. Parker and Davenport are sharing carries. LT and Turner are sharing carries......

Did someone think Cameron was going to say "Ronnie Brown will start and carry the entire load this season. If anyone else gets a carry it would probably only be if Ronnie Brown was caught betting on hamster fights".

Edited by SteelerMurf

I've got him in one league, but got him with the 21st pick. At that point, I think he has good value. Granted, I also grabbed Julius Jones, Chester Taylor, and LenDale White later in that draft to have some alternatives if Brown doesn't pan out.

Edited by Big Dogs