[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I never knew Tiki was such a crybaby

Sgt. Ryan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3003699

Report: Tiki writes in book that he might still be playing if not for Coughlin

ESPN.com news services

Updated: September 4, 2007, 2:45 PM ET

Comment

Email

Print

Tiki Sounds Off on CoughlinTiki Barber has already used the television airwaves to rip his former team and now the retired Giants running back reportedly is criticizing them in print.

In excerpts of his new book "Tiki: My Life in the Game and Beyond" obtained by the New York Daily News, Barber writes that he might still be playing if Tom Coughlin weren't still coaching the Giants. The book goes on sale Sept. 18.

"If Tom Coughlin had not remained as head coach of the Giants, I might still be in a Giants uniform," Barber writes, according to the Daily News.

[Tom Coughlin] robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football.

Tiki Barber

"[Coughlin] robbed me of what had been one of the most important things I had in my life, which was the joy I felt playing football," Barber wrote, according to the newspaper. "I had lost that. He had taken it away."

Barber credits Coughlin with solving his chronic fumbling problems but wrote that he believes it was his performance that kept Coughlin employed by the Giants. Under Coughlin, Barber ranked among the NFL's top five rushers; in the three seasons beginning in 2004, Barber gained 1,518 (fifth), 1,860 (second) and 1,662 yards (fourth).

"It's a double-edged sword, because as much as Coach Coughlin helped me, I also helped Tom Coughlin," Barber wrote, according to the newspaper.

According to the Daily News, Barber also claims in the book that he was shorted about $10 million in his career by the Giants, who underpaid him compared with other top running backs.

Last month, Barber criticized Giants quarterback Eli Manning. Barber had said that Manning's attempt to lead an offensive meeting in the 12th week of the last season was "comical" at times.

After sarcastically noting that Barber was making a smooth transition from the playing field to television, the normally reserved Manning said he could have questioned Barber's leadership last season for calling out Coughlin and then having articles about him retiring in the middle of the season. It turned out to be a major distraction for the Giants.

I really am starting to hate this guy.

He helped me to become good, and when i got good, i was helping him, so therefore, he owes me :D

On his show on sirius the other day (i dont even listen to it anymore now) somebody called in to ask about the Eli thing, and Ronde took the call and tiki said "i aint saying anything" Wow, what a concept. What a thought, dont say anything AFTER you slammed the whole team/organization.

Then he went on to talk about how Eli questioned his heart, and putting 100% on the field, and Tiki said "dont say that about me. I've always blah blah. That's insulting to say that about me" Yah, like insulting as your leadership skills were actually laughable?

The more I think about it, the more I am starting to hope he doesn't' even get into the HoF (which is a whole different debate on its own, but i've always been on his side.)

To all the Big Blue Homers I've argued with when you said Tiki wasn't as classy as everyone thought, I ask for your forgiveness.

I really am starting to hate this guy.

He helped me to become good, and when i got good, i was helping him, so therefore, he owes me :D

On his show on sirius the other day (i dont even listen to it anymore now) somebody called in to ask about the Eli thing, and Ronde took the call and tiki said "i aint saying anything" Wow, what a concept. What a thought, dont say anything AFTER you slammed the whole team/organization.

Then he went on to talk about how Eli questioned his heart, and putting 100% on the field, and Tiki said "dont say that about me. I've always blah blah. That's insulting to say that about me" Yah, like insulting as your leadership skills were actually laughable?

It's become apparent that Tiki's a massive egomaniac puss.

The more I think about it, the more I am starting to hope he doesn't' even get into the HoF (which is a whole different debate on its own, but i've always been on his side.)

Not that he was a strong candidate before all of this, but he's definitely lost a considerable amount of goodwill from some members of the media at this point.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I am obviously in the minority....

but Coughlin sucks ass. We've all seen past running backs who can't even walk.

Add to Coughlin, Eli and his finch-like nature and it could not have been too much of a holiday for Tiki.

I place the blame on the ownership. If they would have gotten rid of Coughlin when they should have, Tiki would still be in the league. It was poor management.

He chose walking over playing. If he could have had both, I am sure that he would have.

He has never been a pusslie, so I imagine that he deserves that benefit of the doubt.

Add to Coughlin, Eli and his finch-like nature and it could not have been too much of a holiday for Tiki.

I place the blame on the ownership. If they would have gotten rid of Coughlin when they should have, Tiki would still be in the league. It was poor management.

He chose walking over playing. If he could have had both, I am sure that he would have.

He has never been a pusslie, so I imagine that he deserves that benefit of the doubt.

I don't think anyone can argue with your statements, that being said, it seems that now that Tiki's gone, he's whining about everyone. He shoulda sacked up at the time if he had issues, not started bashing everyone once he's gone. Weak.

He chose walking over playing.

Could you please explain why you feel that the probability of injury to RBs is higher under Coughlin than it is elsewhere in the league?

I couldn't agree more about Coughlin being a tyrant & at times an inept HC, and I've said before that his demeanor has actively retarded Eli's progress as a QB. I also agree that he should have been axed a season or two ago.

That being said, what is Coughlin doing that makes playing RB for him more inherently dangerous than for other teams?

Edited by Bronco Billy

i could not agree more. But you're missing the point here. He's out of the league, and while he may not be happy about it and may blame other people for his deciding to walk, he doesn't have to call everyone out now. Move on and let it go. He announced retirement early in the season, before anyone knew whether coughlin was even coming back, iirc.

I think Coughlin is one of the worst head coaches in the league, behind Herm, whoever the Raiders hire, and Denny Green, even if he is only ends up a manager of a Taco Shop. But, Tiki had his legacy, the classiest guy int he league and whatnot, or one of them anyway. He's being a Megan Fox and seriously needs to stop.

I am not a Giants fan, but I'm very offended and insulted by his actions.

I don't think anyone can argue with your statements, that being said, it seems that now that Tiki's gone, he's whining about everyone. He shoulda sacked up at the time if he had issues, not started bashing everyone once he's gone. Weak.

exactly. He was underpaid? Ok, fine. Then say "hey, i'm underpaid. Not gonna work until you pay me"

instead, he gets "Here, we'll give you this" and Tiki says "awesome. I'm classy. I'm ready to work"

Maybe the idiot should write a book about his agent then

If Tiki wrote a book about this 10 or 15 years from now, when his former teammates and coaching staff had retired/moved on, I wouldn't have a big problem with it. But the fact that he's airing dirty laundry now, barely 9 months removed from retirement, makes him look like an obnoxious attention whore and a massive vagina.

To all the Big Blue Homers I've argued with when you said Tiki wasn't as classy as everyone thought, I ask for your forgiveness.

I'm a lifelong Giants fan and always thought he was as classy as they come. In fact I believed he was a shining example of integrity and work ethic when so many of his peers were anything but. Now reading yet more whining by him, on top of the fact that we have Coughlin for another year, Eli moping like a 12 year old kid and still showing no leadership, idiots like Shockey and Strahan on the team, I'm just glad I have my fantasy teams to root for. I really, really can't stand this group of guys.

The amount of times that Tiki was made to rush (for his size) and the other viable options put on the field.

I am sure that 1,001 people here have complained about their own management - but that does not make them Rosie O'Donnell. I am also pretty sure that most of the people here who have complained (not here but in conversation) did not have physical risk in their job.

Come on. At the end of the day - the guy said 'I quit' as is anybodies right. He's now paid to give his opinion. He just has a pretty good insight into who Coughlin is than most.

I work with a couple Giants fans who are upset that he is saying that Eli is a bad leader, but the truth is the truth. Same thing with Coughlin. A ommentators job is to try to give unbiased opinions. Bias lends more towards homerism than it does towards hating a team for a commentator.

I realize that this is his book and not a 'traditional' paid job - but he put his time in - he got the job done and he rarely complained. Now that he does not have his enforced loyalties - I think its refreshing that he is saying that many outside of the football world have been saying for a while now.

To be fair, he did "sack up" at the time...wasn't it Tiki that called out Coughlin a number of times regarding his post-season playcalling? He whined before and after he retired...

Moreover, I think athlete's should just shut-up, period...unless its to say "thank you" to us fans for funding their enormous salaries.

I am sure that 1,001 people here have complained about their own management - but that does not make them Rosie O'Donnell. I am also pretty sure that most of the people here who have complained (not here but in conversation) did not have physical risk in their job.

The difference is that we don't complain to the media about our bosses and it doesn't end up on the front page of the sports section. Hell, I don't even complain to my co-workers when my boss pisses me off.

Tiki isn't the first person that Coughlin pissed off and, from what I understand about Coughlin (see: Coughlin's former players in Jacksonville), he has every right to be pissed. I even backed him when he first did it. But it's obvious now that he's doing it to either (1) further his own career or (2) attack his former team out of spite. That's very low-class.

The amount of times that Tiki was made to rush (for his size) and the other viable options put on the field.

If he were a part-timer his whole career instead of getting the opportunity to be a featured RB, no one would give a rat's ass about his whining right now. Instead he got a chance to carry his team. What RB worth a damn doesn't want that?

Not to mention that Coughlin & the Giants made not one but two attempts with decent draft choices to find a big guy to lighten his load and take short yardage/goal line punishment when the team could have used help elsewhere.

If that's Tiki's argument, he's a bigger bitch than people in this thread are giving him credit for.