[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Match-Lite and Chimney Starters

SheikYerbuti

So I've been using Match-Lite and Insta-Lite (the wal-mart version) charcoal all summer and have always used a chimney starter to light it. Well, now that summer's just about over, I looked at the bag and it says in big, bold letters "Do Not Use a Chimney Starter with This Product".

Why not??

So I've been using Match-Lite and Insta-Lite (the wal-mart version) charcoal all summer and have always used a chimney starter to light it. Well, now that summer's just about over, I looked at the bag and it says in big, bold letters "Do Not Use a Chimney Starter with This Product".

Why not??

well for one it has smelly chemicals in it so dont use it... with he chimney all u need is charcoal and some paper and u are good

well for one it has smelly chemicals in it so dont use it... with he chimney all u need is charcoal and some paper and u are good

I tried just plain charcoal with the chimney and couldn't get the top coals to turn grey. Got frustrated and went with the match-lite and didn't notice a chemical taste in the meat so I stuck with it. Maybe if given a taste test I would notice the difference. . .

Why not??

I guess it's basically like dousing regular charcoal in a chimney starter with lighter fluid. Assume that could cause heating, melting, and other general problems associated with fire.

Why not??

Buy a small bag of matchlight and a regular bag of charcoal and throw a couple of matchlights in on top of the newspaper then top with regular charcoal. No smelly chemicals and burns the top coals nice and white. :D

The chemicals in the match light stuff could burn too hot for the chimney to safely hold them. So what if the top couple of coal don't turn grey? They will once you put them in the grill. A chimney is the only acceptable way to start charcoal IMO.

Don't buy insta-lite crap. Don't buy that kingsford crap. You need real lump charcoal.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/charcoal.html

FYI, I have found that in a pinch lighter fluid on lump charcoal in the egg gets her going if you run out of starter pieces. It only takes a tiny amount too so no flavor left over!!

I love my electric starter(new this year). It is better than any method I have used. Regular charcoal, cowboy(lump) coal et.c it doesn't matter I have perfect coals within ten to fifteen minutes. Best $15 spent at Home Depot this year.