[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Newbie Welcome Thread

rajncajn

Who: Msaint, aka msaint, aka m-sain-t, aka shameless website-promoting ho'bag and FF knowledge-seeker/sharer.

What: reluctant advertising copywriter who despises that asinine industry/freelance writer/writer-editor-founder of equally asinine sports satire site, The Sports Rag.

When: (sigh) 35. doah

Where: Bahhhhhston

Why: Cheaper than cocaine, less dangerous than lawn darts, less time-consuming than putting tiny model ships in bottles, less embarrassing than Dungeons & Dragons. Huddle is ONLY place that combines serious knowledge/advice and downright funny/entertaining/sumb*tches!

Experience: Have only had time for one local league -- the Felon fantasy League, or FFL as we endearingly call it -- year in, year out since 1996 with current and former work buddies. Won once, usually in/near playoffs, always, always end up with Fred Taylor somehow, for better or worse.

Homer Team: P-A-T-S, Pats Pats Pats!

Sophmore huddler here so I am practically a newbie.

Who: priestship, Spartan fan, just waiting to jump on the Lions bandwagon.

What: Credit Analyst/Slacker

When: License says 35, but the man can't tell me how old I am!

Where: Detroit...Go Tigers!

Why: Why not! Something has to take my attention away from the Lions and Michigan State football.

Fantasy Bio: I think this will be my 12th or 13th year of Fantasy Football. I started in college and was hooked. I have been in 1-3 leagues a year, mostly re-draft but a couple years of keeper thrown in. I have one title, a couple runners-up and a couple thirds. Not great but the less drunk I am on draft day the better my team is...how odd. Although I did draft Lawrence Phillips as my fist pick in a two man keeper league his rookie year...STONE SOBER!!! Ugggggghhhhhhhh doah

priestship:

Sophmore huddler here so I am practically a newbie.

Who: priestship, Spartan fan, just waiting to jump on the Lions bandwagon.

be very very patient lol you're welcome to join the Hawks bandwagon up here Seatown... these folks have got to be the worst wagoners I know of! But anwyay, you're welcome to join the wagon, cause it's going to be loud this year.. we finally have an offense!

Who: rocknrobn26, Da' Bears forever

What: Retired and too lazy to do anything about it.

When: Shortly after Sky but before bronze age.

Where: Born, bred, and still live near Chi Town.

Why: Why....why... what was the question? :confused:

Fantasy Bio: Been playing FF for about 8 years. Won 3 times & placed twice. Being commish takes a lot of time (also do stats for 1 other league), so I'm only in the one FF league and a confidence league. Been at the huddle for 3+, on the forums 2.

soopanuts:

When: 26 yrs young, am I the youngest guy here?

I'd bet I'm a *bit* younger

Who: jimmywalker (no, not my real name)

What: Web Developer by day, coach & fantasy football geek by night

When: Just turned 26 :P

Where: Phoenix

Why: The BEST hobby in the world!!!! The Huddle makes it even better cool_thu

Fantasy Bio: 4rd year Huddler, 14th year playing (yup- since I was 12!!!)

Who: dug aka doug

What: architect by day (and night) (and weekends)- huddler during lunch.

When: 33 i think (lost track after 30)

Where: cincinnati (not cincinatti)- yup home of wkrp, skyline chili, hudepol beer and the bengals.... what else could you want? shrug

Why: love the game. and love the analysis.

Experience: my boss had an opening in his money league about 4 years ago. i joined- and managed to win it all (around $1200) and got hooked. i have placed in the money 3 of the last 4 years and have won it all twice now. started a second local league this year and also signed up for my first keeper league.

Homer Team: bengals.... i know.... get it out of you system now. jester

Who: Bier Meister

What: Psychotherapist turned chef....f'n dreamer!

When: 34 (and feeling every year)

Where: From San Francisco, live in Breckenridge. big time Bay Area homer (Giants, 49ers, Sharks, and :cough: Warriors)

Why:like to see different opinions about misc sports topic (and other topics), and to meet other people equally enthusiastic about football.

FF History: been at the huddle 3 or 4 years...it's starting to blurrrrr

1 local league (redraft): 10 years (3 championships, 2 2nd place finsihes, several other playoff births)

1 local league (keeper): i think we are heading into our 5th year. had to rebuild my team. now one of the best (1 playoff birth)

P&H (dynasty): entering our 3rd crazed year. 1st year finished 2nd. last year edge and warner killed me....finised 7th

Abearwithfurnature (redraft): entering our 3rd year. 1st year finished in the middle of the pack. Last year 4th (f'n hasslett/DM)

AFL (keeper): Took over for an owner who dropped out 5 games into last year. Finsihed middle of the pack. made some solid trades. can now choose 3 from garcia, a green, driver, stallworth, bruce, moss.

FAART (redraft): 1 year history. placed 2nd with a lousy performance by DM.

Edit: I started around 93....so that made it 10 years not 8....memory is going.

steeler:

Dbaxx:

we know you want to fit in ....

What do you mean we? Your still a newbie yourself :cool: My sophomore year....looking forward to it! cool_thu

Who:TDFFFreak, hate the Cowboys, Skins and Giants so that would make me an Eagles fan.

What: in the media field (and should be working right now)

When: 30 years, 1 wife, no kids

Where: Originally from Delaware

Why: Football is the best season/sport. What other pro team sport does each game mean so much? Each game is an event. Love that.

Fantasy Bio: Playing for about 10 years now, have had a lot of fun, won a lot of money, but somehow I have never won a championship... a lot of 2nd place finishes or 1st place regular season finishes.

Who: Big Country

What: Marketing by trade, laid off by profession.

When: 25 years old.

Where: Sunny Southern California, but a northern California native.

Why: Cuz I've been a fanatic forever and been here since day one.

Fantasy Bio: Been playing FF since 1995, when I got the #1 pick, took Steve Young and followed that up with my brilliant pick of Favre in round 2. Ended up trading Young away pre-injury and finished respectable 5th or 6th. However, followed that up with a 2-15 year in '96. Came to huddle on day one it opened following a post from DMD on another board and have been here ever since. I joined the first ever BOTH (Huddled Masses) which was created before the league forums existed, and am now a member of two other BOTH leagues. Multiple titles later I have to say that The Huddle is without a doubt THE PLACE for FF acumen.

I don't always post a lot, but you better believe that when I do, there is a point to be made, unless it is in the Tailgate.

Who: DMD

What: Idiot to Genius depending on who you ask and which week

When: 43

Where: Dallas

Why: I am secretly part of Homeland Security tracking Blitz and Spain

FF History: Been with The Huddle since it was first written on a Round Table Pizza napkin in 1997. I have grown somewhat attached to this place. Some say conjoined.

Have published around 1800 game predictions.

This season I will make my 20,000th player projection.

In any given season, typically will write about 200,000+ words or two full length books.

Playing FF since around 1991 as I recall. First draft picks included Emmitt Smith, Irvin, Aikman and Leroy Hoard using an Athlon magazine. Came in second that year and was seriously hooked. Though I have won six or eight championships along the way, I have easily lost twice that many championships. For some reason my teams usually do great but pull up just short in the championship game. angry

Oldest league - EFFL started 1992. Three championships and two years I still cannnot talk about.

Last season notables -

Scored 10th best out of 550 people in WWCOFF wall_bas

FF Champs Challenge - Lost Superbowl :mad:

CBI Invitational - Lost Superbowl angry

In all my years, most memorable - easily - season was 2001 when came in last in SOFA by playing eight consecutive weeks of the top scoring teams and ended 1-13 by winning last game on a freak play on MNF against division winner. First pick was Jamal Lewis 1 week before he was lost for the season.

Why do I play this game? Oh yeah, this year I will win it all! cool_thu

Who: Egret. One of the many Lions slappies.

What?!? 5/6th grade teacher of students with behavior and emotional disorders.

When: 28 and counting...

Where: Small town south of Lansing, MI.

Why: I hate to lose.

Fantasy Bio: I started playing when I was a last second fill-in for a league in it's second year. I was at the draft for the party. I had no idea what I was doing. I ended up taking Marshall Faulk in the first round his rookie season... and then took a kicker in the second. I took a year off and then came back. I'm now in 3 leagues. With the knowledge gleamed from thehuddle, I've made the playoffs every year since I came back. College was way too hazy for me to figure out when that was. smash I won my first two championships last year jump . Thankfully both of those leagues are keeper leagues. head_ban

Who: Pancake. 49ers fan first...Raiders fan second (all the same players anyway!!)

What: CPA, with a masters in taxation. Tax compliance and planning for high net worth individuals, and business consulting. Specializing in the music and entertainment industry and real estate.

When: 36 years old. My knees feel like 50 though...

Where: Marin County (15 miles north of the golden gate bridge). 3rd generation northern California bay area native.

Why: I like numbers and I like sports.

Fantasy Bio: Started in 1996. Played in same league since the start and have never won a freak'n dime but love every minute of it. My league in based on overall total points for the year and I usually end up from 4th to 6th place (I think it reflects my conservative drafting stratgy loco )

DMD's 2001 SOFA fiasco was one of the most depressing scenarios that I have ever witnessed...Sorry about poking fun at you that year DMD,...I didn't realize it was such a low point in your life.

Who: Big, John, cheesehead

What: Civil Engineer / football nut / amateur detective wink

When: 35 years

Where: Milwaukee Area now. Grew up within walking distance of Lambeau Field jump

Why: Because I have no life.

Fantasy Bio: started in 95 as the brains behind boss's team at work. Eventually got my own team and now commish there. Always made playoffs there with a championship. Now expanded my horizons to 2 BOTH teams (DOH, 3-max keeper - commish) and fusion (dynasty).

Who: rams fan

What: i look at people's chromosomes

When: 27

Where: Chicago via St. Louis

Why: do you even need to ask?

Fantasy Bio: been in the same league since '95, when terry allen nearly carried me to the promised land. Two-time champ, the last time was in '99. long time huddler ('98??), just recently began posting on the board.

Who: Soylent Green, fka Clubfoothead

What: soon to be 1st time Dad

When: 32

Where: Dallas via LA, AL, AR, West Germany, ORE, CA, and ND

Why: Compelled to

Fantasy Bio 1st league in 1988 as a last minute sub for a draft no-show. Never won a league :D. Last year added 3 huddle leagues and an on-line league to my local. Held my own in Hannibals, failed in my first attempt at an auction in the Corleone Family, was an anchor in the IBL challenge. My failures will be avenged this year unless the baby is early and I miss a draft.

Affiliations: Dallas Cowboys above all others. University of Michigan, Mavericks, Stars and Twins.

DMD:

In any given season, typically will write about 200,000+ words or two full length books.

Yeah, but we don't count the ones that start with 'I would have never dreamed that I would be writing about an adventure in your Forum, these things never happen to me' brow

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to all of the newbies on the site. I'm DCGangstas, and I've frequented this site for the last 4 years. You will find the banter (and occaisional flame war) rather amusing, to say the least.

I am a proud long-time member of the Raider Nation, though I reside in the Nation's Capital. And no, I don't wear shoulderpads with skulls on them; my personal couture preference is Armani. :D

Pancake:

DMD's 2001 SOFA fiasco was one of the most depressing scenarios that I have ever witnessed...Sorry about poking fun at you that year DMD,...I didn't realize it was such a low point in your life.

It wasn't a low point really, just very memorable. I mean I have won plenty of divisions, playoffs, championships, etc. I've had seasons with 14-2 records and so many great years they blur together.

But I have only ONCE gone 1-13. You'd almost have to try to do that. That year the only team I never played was The Sporting News who half the time did not turn in a lineup. They still won 3 games. Statistically, what happened to me was such an anomoly that it was awe-inspiring. If I had the schedule of the highest team, I would have had a winning record and snuck into the playoffs.

Just incredible. One year we talked a guy into playing in our local league and he had a great draft. He ended the year with the highest points total, easily, of anyone. He also came in dead last with like a 3-13 record (no playoffs in that league). He never played FF again.

dkf:

DMD:

Yeah, but we don't count the ones that start with 'I would have never dreamed that I would be writing about an adventure in your Forum, these things never happen to me' brow Now that was funny :D

Who: Quasi, Lions fan <Ducks the beer bottles thrown his way>

What: Pump Salesman, 6 Year FF player

When: 35 years, new Daddy.

Where: Just outside Detroit, I won't be posting on days the Lions are at home.

Why: Because its an obsession.

Bio: Playing for 6 years, play in from 2-3 leagues at a time, used to run one, but it killed the fun. My main big money league is a 16 team league most of the teams have 2 managers. I have won this twice, and have never missed the playoffs.