[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Drew Brees

gobller

I wonder how many homers used an early fantasy pick to pick him up, and how many started him tonight... He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! DOH! :D:D:wacko:

Um, did you watch the same game?

His accuracy isn't the issue.

They couldn't establish the run, so Indy just pass rushed every play. Brees had no time to throw it down field, and Payton's play calling didn't help at all.

Short passes doesn't mean he isn't accurate.

26/39 isn't terrible accuracy.

And that's way too many attempts for a QB anyways.

He will be fine....you have to realize that he played the whole preseason without Devery Henderson and Marques Colston......if you watched any of NO preseason games he had great rapport with David Patten in all those games. The Colts did a great job of taking away the Saints strength.... speed. They obviously play the Tampa cover 2 but they had there safties about 20 yards off the ball. Granted Sanders does a great job of closing on the run from his position.......I was just shocked that they didnt try and spread out the Colts more and hit the middle of the field. But then again the LBers were dropping quite deep and quickly. This is why Payton was forced to mix it up......when Bush was in the backfield the Colts Run D would aggresively attack the line of scrimmage from the outside....ala Sanders closing quickly and this is why Bush was running up the middle.

Did anyone see the play where Henderson ran a 15 yd out and it was tipped by the OLB and almost picked off. There are three areas two the Tampa Cover two which is suceptible to the pass.....deep outs and the middle of the field.... and the Colts took away any chance of getting the deep outs by dropping the outside linebackers quickly on all passing downs......plus the middle linebacker drop deep also taking away the middle of the field. Peyton should of flanked Bush in the slot more often in order to occupy an outside linebacker or ran him down the middle of the field to occupy a safety and leave the WR against the corners.

I like rajn's post but I think it was mostly the play call and his inability to look downfield tonight. He'll get it fixed. At least it wasn't at home.

It was gd74's post, but he pretty much called it. The Saints just didn't stay patient, they should have kept taking the middle & pounding it with Deuce. Eventually the safeties would have to move up & then the deeper routes would open up. By trying to push it downfield they played right into what the Colts defensive strength is...speed.

It was gd74's post, but he pretty much called it. The Saints just didn't stay patient, they should have kept taking the middle & pounding it with Deuce. Eventually the safeties would have to move up & then the deeper routes would open up. By trying to push it downfield they played right into what the Colts defensive strength is...speed.

Why did they not use Deuce more? I think they should have pounded the ball more to get the pressure of Brees. I am pissed right now because I have Brees but he will be fine. On the road, against the defending SB Champs on the opening night is not an easy game but still, I agree the play calling was terrible. To many dropped passes and penalties.

I wonder how many homers used an early fantasy pick to pick him up, and how many started him tonight... He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn! DOH! :D:D:wacko:

you're kinda a female spray cleanser, aren't you litle guy.

You don't need to be a homer to have picked Brees after Manning and Brady. You do it because its the right thing to do (McAllister, Bush, Colston, Henderson, Johnson). Brees should be fine. Defenses are always stronger than offenses in week 1 (unless you have the clown the Saints were playing at CB).

I am trying to get my Saints on the cheap right now...

the offensive system is still good...they were just made one dimensional and the Colts just came out really fired up...

I never thought the Saints would be the team they were last year...but I still had them around 10-6..

their defense will get them into a lot of shootouts....and if I can get Bush on the cheap, I'll gladly take it...

I wouldnt waste the effort getting Bush. That dude still hasnt figured out what this league is all about. He has no patience for a hole to open up, and is ineffective running between the tackles. Comparing him to Faulk, B Sanders and G Sayers was a complete joke. He is more on par with Deshaun Foster than those 3.

Brees is a great get right now. He is the perfect buy now candidate.

Edited by Sgt. Ryan

I wouldnt waste the effort getting Bush. That dude still hasnt figured out what this league is all about. He has no patience for a hole to open up, and is ineffective running between the tackles. Comparing him to Faulk, B Sanders and G Sayers was a complete joke. He is more on par with Deshaun Foster than those 3.

In my local I have a better shot at snaking the Bush owner then the Brees owner as he is pretty tight with the trades. Not a hugh fan of Bush either :D but with a pt per reception I might take a shot at getting him, maybe for Jones as that guy is a hugh Lions homer.

I don't think it was Brees that was the issue tonight at all. The 2 INTs were not good, but the play calls were brutal.

No way was Brees the issue... the Saints were outclassed in every area.

It was fitting though... the Saints are the sexy pick in the offseason to make it to the SB. Some pick them to win the SB.

Well, Indy just won the SB. It was their first regular season home game after the SB. They unveiled the banner before gametime. Everyone was expecting the Saints to average 7 yards per carry etc etc.

I think it was good for the Saints to get slapped up side the head.

Bush and the Saints will be fine - I really think the scouting was poor, due to Sanders and the Keauhoe (sp?) guy being new for the D. those two disrupted all night. Brees eye might've been affected by that poke more than we know too.

I'm really hoping that CBenson has a good game vs. the Chargers. Then I can maybe do a trade for bush, getting a RB1 for a RB2 price....

Bush and the Saints will be fine - I really think the scouting was poor, due to Sanders and the Keauhoe (sp?) guy being new for the D. those two disrupted all night. Brees eye might've been affected by that poke more than we know too.

I'm really hoping that CBenson has a good game vs. the Chargers. Then I can maybe do a trade for bush, getting a RB1 for a RB2 price....

Deuce certainly did his bid to erode Bush's stock. Hopefully the eveness of that was a fluke, and the rest of the season won't be 50-50.

I'd agree that comparisons to Sanders, Sayers and Faulk are premature, but your overall negativity towards Bush must be taken into account any time you discuss him. 'consider the source'......

FWIW I saw the Saints call ALL the wrong running plays vs a speedy Dungy D.

It's no secret that when you lineup in an I-formation or run between the tackles along with a FB you can neutralize the speediness of a Dungy/cover 2 D. Tampa and Indy has always been susceptible to a straight ahead power run game. It pits the Ds size and speed against itself.

The Saints ran more plays than I could count that were slow developing...pulling Gs/Ts, stunts, counters OR short passes to the flat. This goes right into Dungy's hands as you can't take too long for any play to develop and you can't expect to beat them on the edges.

Edited by kingfish247

Actually, the running play that hurt the Colts the most last year were draws. They are very good against power running teams. The Saints did have some success with delayed hand-offs last night. The real problem was that Brees didn't have much time in the pocket. You kinda hope that by dinking and dunking, you end up with a broken tackle and a big play. But the Colts were hitting and tackling well last night. The Saints gameplan was based on the 2006 Indy defense, not the 2007 D with 6 new starters (Morris, Sanders, Jackson, Hayden, Johnson, Keiaho). And they seemed unable to adjust their play calling to find anything that would work.

Actually, the running play that hurt the Colts the most last year were draws. They are very good against power running teams. The Saints did have some success with delayed hand-offs last night. The real problem was that Brees didn't have much time in the pocket. You kinda hope that by dinking and dunking, you end up with a broken tackle and a big play. But the Colts were hitting and tackling well last night. The Saints gameplan was based on the 2006 Indy defense, not the 2007 D with 6 new starters (Morris, Sanders, Jackson, Hayden, Johnson, Keiaho). And they seemed unable to adjust their play calling to find anything that would work.

Here's a head scratcher, according to situational stats...

Bush had more attempts up the middle than Deuce:

Bush 8/26

Deuce 3/18

Anything other than up the middle:

Bush 4/14

Deuce 7/20

So... Bush was more effective (but still bad... 3.5ypc) on the outside (Deuce 2.9ypc). Deuce was more effective on the inside (6ypc) vs Bush (3.3ypc).

I guess Payton went with the logic... they might expect Deuce to run inside so I'll run Bush inside and Deuce outside. :D

Had they just run Deuce up the middle more than Bush and mixed in a few misdirection plays on the outside then they might've been much more effective.

Edited by kingfish247