[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Someone please explain the Colts D

FishFreak

I don't get it. How can the Colts D go from bad to good in such a short period of time. It makes it frustrating trying to figure out these guys. They stopped a strong offensive team cold last night and that's saying something particularly how well they played during the playoffs last year. So now does the Colt DST jump up to top 5 status? If they continue to play well then you have to start making considerations with fantasy starters going against the Colts D. This is no longer a trend, the defensive unit has carried over momentum from last year.

I know Bob Sanders means a lot to this unit but it has to be more than just him. These guys held up well to the Saints rushing attack last night and the Saints have a good O-line.

I think we've been sold a bill of goods as far as NO being an O powerhouse. Their passing game looks awful, and it also looks like other teams have the book on Colston. Aside from him, there's not much "there" there, except for Bush on swings & screens.

IND's D does look improved over last year a bit, though - but I'd like a couple more games before I annoint them one of the best Ds in the game...

I think we've been sold a bill of goods as far as NO being an O powerhouse. Their passing game looks awful, and it also looks like other teams have the book on Colston. Aside from him, there's not much "there" there, except for Bush on swings & screens.

One bad game & this is what you've decided? Your insight into the Saints offense is about as accurate as the RB projections you're so famous for. This wouldn't irritate me as much, but some people here usually respect your opinion. To be honest I can't believe you could be so short-sighted. The only thing I can think of is you're trying to give out mis-information...I really hope that is not the case.

IND's D does look improved over last year a bit, though - but I'd like a couple more games before I annoint them one of the best Ds in the game...

Agreed on Colts D but it's only been one game for the Saints O also. They will bounce back so don't go down grading them just yet after one game. Things change in the NFL from week to week.

One bad game & this is what you've decided? Your insight into the Saints offense is about as accurate as the RB projections you're so famous for. This wouldn't irritate me as much, but some people here usually respect your opinion. To be honest I can't believe you could be so short-sighted. The only thing I can think of is you're trying to give out mis-information...I really hope that is not the case.

Then you tell me what was wrong last night. The NO O was clearly overmatched.

Then you tell me what was wrong last night. The NO O was clearly overmatched.

The Colts D is much better than people are giving them credit for. Tampa plays the cover 2 as well & we play them next week. If Tampa can replicate what the Colts did then possibly there is some cause for concern.

The Colts D is much better than people are giving them credit for. Tampa plays the cover 2 as well & we play them next week. If Tampa can replicate what the Colts did then possibly there is some cause for concern.

The Tampa D can do it, but my question is: 'has Garcia had enough time to learn Gruden's system?' I think this will be Tampa's shortfall next week.

It's one week... here's what I find to be reasonable assumptions after that game:

The Colts Defense isn't as good as what showed during last night's game.

The Saints Offense isn't as bad as what showed during last night's game.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle... the Colts D will be improved over last year, especially if they can get a full season of a healthy Bob Sanders... but they're not THAT good. The Saints offense isn't going to take anyone by surprise anymore, so Brees and company will have a tough time repeating as the #1 offense in the league. But they're not THAT bad.

Simply put, the Colts came ready to play... they were amped up in their first home game after a Super Bowl win, starting the season off in front of a primetime audience. The Saints didn't come with the same level of preparedness or intensity... and they got spanked for it. I'll bet the Saints don't make that mistake next week and play a lot better.

Clearly Indy cheated, they had 12 players on offense all nite long(jason david was the 12th player) :D

as for the colts D...i dont think they are going to be a top 5 D but they arent going to suck like they did earlier last yr...that is unless

both Freeney and Sanders get hurt or are out for an extended period of time. The loss of McFarland is going to be seen it just wasnt

seen last nite....the Indy corners seem much improved(Jackson played well in run support) and Bethea is in his 2nd season as a starter...

last yr the colts were without sanders for much of the season and freeney wasnt 100%....that is gonna sting most teams more often then not.

In the pre-season, the Colts cornerbacks, and in particular Marlin Jackson, have been incredible tacklers, especially in run supportl. Freddie Keiaho showed flashes last year of his ability, but he was everywhere in the pre-season. While he does not have the great coverage skills that Cato June did, he is much more aggressive against the run and a much better tackler. The Colts also signed as a rookie unrestricted free agent Ed Johnson out of Penn State who had some background problems. The guy is 6'2" and 300 lbs. The first play in pre-season, he knifed through and drilled the RB for a two yard loss. He beat out veterans Dan Klecko and Darrell Reid as well as rookie third round pick Quinn Pitcock for the right to take Booger McFarland's spot. Then of course there is Bob Sanders. But the biggest improvement has been at strong-side linebacker. Gilbert Gardner sucked last year. I don't know what Rob Morris has been doing since being demoted from starting middle linebacker, but the dude has been on a tear since being inserted as the starting outside linebacker. He was awesome last night, at one point even chasing down and tackling Reggie Bush from behind.

The Colts starting D did not allow a TD in the pre-season. I've been saying they are much better than everyone thinks, although I think I said that last year too, and was way wrong, lol.

I was very impressed with the Colts D last night. However, I think the issue lies more with the Saints than the Colts. Here's why. I believe that the Saints thought they could go deep on Indy and had to completely scrap the game plan earlier than most people think. The Colts did a great job of keeping everything in front of them and doubling anyone that tried to go deep. The Saints used patience and dink and dunk passing with success for awhile, but just kept making mistakes that killed the drive. Also, the Saints Oline needs help. The left tackle struggled (and held by the way) all night long. Pressure on a QB will always cause problems. Even the right tackle struggled at times.

The biggest disappointment, however, was Bush. He looked like he was just going through the motions. That drop he had in the 3rd I think that would've been a 1st down in the red zone was big. Bush seemed tentative and not as fast as he looked last year.

Just my 2 cents

...The biggest disappointment, however, was Bush. He looked like he was just going through the motions. That drop he had in the 3rd I think that would've been a 1st down in the red zone was big. Bush seemed tentative and not as fast as he looked last year.

Just my 2 cents

Yeah, but that little skit he did with Peyton Manning that they aired just before kick-off was funny. Really funny.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle...

Very true.

A poor gameplan was the Saints' downfall and the Colts D gain.

They seemed to have no plan to exploit the weaknesses of a cover 2 and did everything to play into its strengths... slow developing run plays, passes to the flat, screens, keeping WRs outside of the numbers... basically playing offense almost entirely outside of the hash marks.

What concerns me most is that Payton faced this same defense in the NFC championship and took nothing from it making no adjustments.

pretty much the Saints were out of rhythm and the Colts were ready...

and by the time the Saints got their game together, they became forced to be one dimensional....

the play where Bush's lineman got pushed off and the guy made the tackle for a loss was pathetic though...