[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

My take on IND vs NO

LooGie

Okay, so watching the game last night, I couldn't help but notice a few things.

#1 On the Addai TD run, some idiot just flops to the ground and was expecting to shoulder check Addai. Didn't wrap up. or even attempt to grab him, just threw his body down and Addai stepped right over it.

What the hell is that about? I thought Payton had this team squared away on the fundamentals, and this idiot can't even attempt to hit him straight on, or extend an arm to Addai's waist? I do not know who it was, and dont care enough to look it up, but he should be out of a job, if you ask me.

#2 Jason David appeared to be on the Colts payroll still. I know there's some differences trying to play man coverage for him, especially covering Wayne (and Harrison) with Peyton throwing to him, but come on. He got torched on every single play, every time. He was way too slow, and I couldn't be happier that someone finally went to the Saints, and crapped the bed. From Bush, Brees, Colston and Coach Payton, I'm sick of the Saint's success with picking personnel.

#3 Peyton Manning is going to go down as the greatest QB of all time. No two ways about it. Forever and ever, he will be revered as the absolute end-all, be-all for every future QB to want to be compared to.

And, he's the classiest dude around. He was honestly upset when asked after the game about Jason David. You could see the disappointment IMMEDIATELY that someone would be blaming David for it. "We read the blitz, and beat them on the post" and just didn't want to slam David in any way. Whether it's because he's a past team mate, I don't think so. I think Peyton would've acted like that for any DEF player in the NFL.

"We're gonna watch the game on NBC, go giants!" was classic.

I absolutely think PM is the ideal NFL role model. The guy speaks well, is classy, funny,

Seriously... I wish more players were like him in the NFL. Unless of course the PM on SNL beating up the little kids is the REAL PM.

:wacko:

Also, most didn't hear it nationally, but a few hours before the game, it was made known that an entire wing of a local children's hospital was being renamed the Peyton Manning Childrens Hospital due to a large and undisclosed monetary gift he gave to the hospital!!!! :D

I'm happy to say that this post talking about Peyton and what a great role model he is happens to also be my 1000th post. I never thought I'd get there..... :D:wacko:

More than anything, this looked like the Colts establishing dominance in opening week. I am loathe to pund the nails in the Saints' collective coffin, yet.

NO looked out of synch on Offense, way too many blown plays and the play calling was horrible. Their tackling was bad, and their LB corps was just plain horrible at run-stopping (that's the Mark Simoneau I know and love). David got beat like a red-headed stepchild, but I think a lot of that was Peyton making good adjustments after the half, and audibling into the right play call.

#3 Peyton Manning is going to go down as the greatest QB of all time. No two ways about it. Forever and ever, he will be revered as the absolute end-all, be-all for every future QB to want to be compared to.

And, he's the classiest dude around. He was honestly upset when asked after the game about Jason David. You could see the disappointment IMMEDIATELY that someone would be blaming David for it. "We read the blitz, and beat them on the post" and just didn't want to slam David in any way. Whether it's because he's a past team mate, I don't think so. I think Peyton would've acted like that for any DEF player in the NFL.

"We're gonna watch the game on NBC, go giants!" was classic.

Not sure that Peyton is the classiest guy in the world. Sure, he's definitely a good guy by NFL standards... and by "normal people" standards as well. But he's also said a few inappropriate things at times (e.g., the "idiot, liquored-up kicker" comment at the Pro Bowl) and has a history of barking at his teammates and being a bit of an ass a times. Then again, if he were Quiet Mr. Nice Guy, his career might more-closely remember Eli's.

Peyton's a good guy and a good role model (and the donation to the hospital... wow), but I'd say that the "classiest dude around" title has to go to Dungy. That guy is just freakishly nice. I have no idea how he does it.

And as for the Greatest QB of All Time, I think that he still has much to prove. He's going to need at least another 5 years at a high level. I think it's likely that he will break Marino/Favre's major records, but you never know what's going to happen in the future. And if last season ends up being his only championship, well, a lot of people are going to use that to support their argument of Montana (or even Brady) being the greatest.

As for the Colts last night...

- I really like the new formations, particularly using Marvin in the "bunch" and Clark as a wideout on running plays.

- Ugoh's pass-blocking is still a work in progress and I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Tarik, but I don't think that he'll be a liability this year. He looked very good run-blocking on those stretch plays last night.

- Addai needs to be spelled more often, especially when the game is out of hand. I hope that Dungy plans on doing this as Keith gets more experience in the offense. Addai reminds me of a poor man's Marshall Faulk - great vision, good speed, and I really like what he's done in the passing game over the past year.

- Marvin still has it. Not as explosive as he was four or five years ago, but his instincts, route-running, and hands more than make up for it.

- I don't think they're going to miss a beat with Freddie Keiaho replacing June. He appears to be just as fast and might even be a better tackler.

- I'm not worried at all about Marlin Jackson and don't think that going from Jason David to Kelvin Hayden is a significant drop-off.

- I'm still concerned about their DTs against the run. Deuce had good success before Peyton & Co. forced them to throw all of the time in the second half.

- While Bob Sanders (deservedly) gets all of the praise, I really like what Antoine Bethea did as a rookie last year and he looked fantastic last night as well.

- Lastly, I was very, VERY happy with their coverage teams last night. This has been a major Achilles Heel for several years now and hopefully that trend has ended.

Also, most didn't hear it nationally, but a few hours before the game, it was made known that an entire wing of a local children's hospital was being renamed the Peyton Manning Childrens Hospital due to a large and undisclosed monetary gift he gave to the hospital!!!! :D

For those interested

Peyton Manning is making headlines before he even takes the field for Thursday's season opener against the New Orleans Saints.

The star quarterback — along with wife Ashley and parents Archie and Olivia — are scheduled to appear at an afternoon news conference today at St. Vincent Health when the hospital will announce it is naming its Northside children’s hospital after the Colts star. The pediatric facility had been known as St. Vincent Children’s Hospital since it opened in 2003.

The hospital will now be known as Peyton Manning Children’s Hospital at St. Vincent. Manning has had an affiliation with St. Vincent since 1998, the year he joined the Colts.

“Peyton, he loves the Colts,” said Vince Caponi, chief executive of St. Vincent Health. “I think it was important for him to have a legacy here in Indianapolis.” He added that Manning is very passionate about helping children.

Caponi said the Mannings made a monetary donation to the children’s hospital, but that the couple asked that the amount remain undisclosed.

Manning also will take a more active role in fund-raising efforts for the children’s hospital that now carries his name.

“As you can image, Peyton knows a lot of people I don’t know,” Caponi said.

Over the years, Manning has made many visits to St. Vincent to meet with young patients and participate in holiday parties. In 2004, Manning’s PeyBack Foundation worked with St. Vincent to create the “True Heroes” program that provides pediatric patients with monthly events such as pizza parties or trips to the Indianapolis Zoo.

“For nearly 10 years, I’ve been honored to know some of the patients and families who have been treated at St.Vincent,” Manning, 31, said in a written statement. “I have seen firsthand the quality of care and compassion the talented hospital staff deliver to pediatric patients across Indiana, and I’m extremely proud to be associated with St.Vincent as it continues its mission and work on behalf of critically ill and injured children and their families.”

St. Vincent Children’s has 78 beds and provides pediatric care in an array of specialties that include cardiology, blood diseases and orthopedics.

Peyton's a good guy and a good role model (and the donation to the hospital... wow), but I'd say that the "classiest dude around" title has to go to Dungy. That guy is just freakishly nice. I have no idea how he does it.

Yah, and of course, I'm not comparing him to LT or anything either. Shoulda just said "one of the classiest" maybe...

And as for the Greatest QB of All Time, I think that he still has much to prove. He's going to need at least another 5 years at a high level. I think it's likely that he will break Marino/Favre's major records, but you never know what's going to happen in the future. And if last season ends up being his only championship, well, a lot of people are going to use that to support their argument of Montana (or even Brady) being the greatest.

I couldn't agree more, (except for Brady...but that's another debate... i guess...arrrghh..it's hard to let that one go...breathe Loogie, breath...) thats why i said "go down as..." 5 years at this level, forget about it! it would be in stone at that point. Another championship would help, but it's not that important if you ask me, because Marino is still revered as one of the best, but with that huge monkey... the audibles, and everything that makes him Peyton, is just as amazing to watch as it is to watch LT...

As for the Colts last night...

- I really like the new formations, particularly using Marvin in the "bunch" and Clark as a wideout on running plays.

- Ugoh's pass-blocking is still a work in progress and I don't know if he'll ever be as good as Tarik, but I don't think that he'll be a liability this year. He looked very good run-blocking on those stretch plays last night.

- Addai needs to be spelled more often, especially when the game is out of hand. I hope that Dungy plans on doing this as Keith gets more experience in the offense. Addai reminds me of a poor man's Marshall Faulk - great vision, good speed, and I really like what he's done in the passing game over the past year.

- Marvin still has it. Not as explosive as he was four or five years ago, but his instincts, route-running, and hands more than make up for it.

- I don't think they're going to miss a beat with Freddie Keiaho replacing June. He appears to be just as fast and might even be a better tackler.

- I'm not worried at all about Marlin Jackson and don't think that going from Jason David to Kelvin Hayden is a significant drop-off.

- I'm still concerned about their DTs against the run. Deuce had good success before Peyton & Co. forced them to throw all of the time in the second half.

- While Bob Sanders (deservedly) gets all of the praise, I really like what Antoine Bethea did as a rookie last year and he looked fantastic last night as well.

- Lastly, I was very, VERY happy with their coverage teams last night. This has been a major Achilles Heel for several years now and hopefully that trend has ended.

you pretty much nailed it. Marvin is w/o a doubt, the best route runner in the league, and will be until he retires. He's impeccable. I predict Wayne to switch to the #1 this year (unofficially, of course) and be the main target from here on out. With Peyton, Harrison will, still get this TDs.

I'm happy to say that this post talking about Peyton and what a great role model he is happens to also be my 1000th post. I never thought I'd get there..... :D:wacko:

Yeah I read that story.

I didn't think the NO coaching staff adjusted well in this game and hope the whole team responds.

I want to see Usama Young on the field soon too.