[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Let the Benson Bashing Begin

SpinalTapp

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sure hope it was the defense..........

I think we should still focus on the real problem of the equation, Rex Grossman as the worst QB in the league. If I was the coach against the Bears, I know I'd load up on the run game and make Grossman beat me...because I know that will NEVER happen. Grossman, as I said last year, is not a good QB. He was just a product of the Spurrier system in Florda like every other QB from Spurrier.

The offensive line, a strength of this team for the last two seasons, looked slow in run blocking and horrid in pass blocking too. Granted San Diego is a above average defense, especially their front seven, but no reason why they weren't prepared to block.

Benson at times didn't look like he wanted to push the pile, then would come back and put his shoulder done. I want consistency out of him. I am not ready to write him off by any means with one game against a solid run defense.

I think we should still focus on the real problem of the equation, Rex Grossman as the worst QB in the league. If I was the coach against the Bears, I know I'd load up on the run game and make Grossman beat me...because I know that will NEVER happen. Grossman, as I said last year, is not a good QB. He was just a product of the Spurrier system in Florda like every other QB from Spurrier.

To pin this loss or say that Grossman had a horrid game is so stupid. That pass blocking did not help Grossman one bit. When he had time, he made some good plays. He had NO time to react most of the time. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

I sure hope it was the defense..........

I watched a good portion of the game and there was NO room to run.

And no time to throw a pass.

SD is still really good.

Like others have said, It doesn't help that Grossman doesn't exactly instill fear in opposing D coordinators.

Edited by kingfish247

To pin this loss or say that Grossman had a horrid game is so stupid. That pass blocking did not help Grossman one bit. When he had time, he made some good plays. He had NO time to react most of the time. I'm not sure what game you were watching.

I'm not talking about 1 game, I'm talking about his career. He is a bad QB. Past experiences have not scared defenses enough to respect him. He is sporadic at best.

I'm not talking about 1 game, I'm talking about his career. He is a bad QB. Past experiences have not scared defenses enough to respect him. He is sporadic at best.

He might be a "bad" quarterback but I personally think the jury is still out. He did all he could yesterday, the offensive line destroyed the Bears' chances to win the game yesterday, plain and simple.

"Was it the Tough Defense or Does He Just Suck?"

Both, and when you couple them together like yesterday, its about as stinky a bomb as someone could drop.

I don't understand how people can say this guy sucks. Fine, say he is a girl for crying, say he is a whiner for talking about how he should have gotten the starting job last year, whatver. But this guy did well in the situations he was in and when he did start in place of Jones, he did great. The offensive line totally BLEW yesterday and you can't shake it any other way.

SD is a top 3 run defense. I don't like benson, but today, he did his best.

Bears homer here. I agree with all the points here.

I've never disliked a Bears player as a fan as much as I have Benson, but I'm willing to let this slide. If he's running 20 for 40 vs. Detroit, then we can definitely talk.

I personally feel it was mostly SD this week, but, I think Benson is going to be one of the biggest busts this season. He's NEVER showed promise

Agreed. Benson isn't Ron Dayne-bad, but he doesn't really bring anything to the table. He's not particularly fast, he doesn't cut well, his vision is average, and he's not large enough to be a power back. Oh, and he hasn't been very durable or a good teammate thus far, either.

and why they let Jones go, I'll never understand

Because Jerry Angelo didn't want to admit that he was wrong in taking Benson #4 overall two years ago.

Edited by Bill Swerski

Both -

I agree with this:

Agreed. Benson isn't Ron Dayne-bad, but he doesn't really bring anything to the table. He's not particularly fast, he doesn't cut well, his vision is average, and he's not large enough to be a power back.

I think that you are going to see quite of few 22 carries for 65-70 yards outings from that guy.

Grossman, as I said last year, is not a good QB. He was just a product of the Spurrier system in Florda like every other QB from Spurrier.

Why do I have memories of Grossman being booed at UF and everyone calling for him to lose the starting job there? Whenever I tell people this, they think I'm nuts. I don't remember him looking good in college.

Oh, and yes Benson sucks. He killed me in my most expensive league. He will be benched for AP until he learns to find a hole.

Edited by SheikYerbuti

First let me say that I'm not a HUGH Benson fan nor a HUGH Grossman fan. But having said that, I don't know what game ANY of you were watching yesterday.

Tomlinson hardly lit up the stat chart either. 17 for 25 yards?? Oh....ok...he did get a TD. :D And he threw for one (which hardly counts in the grand scheme of things when you draft a running back).

The Bears rushed for 80 total yards.....and SDC rushed for 77. I think you'd have to conclude that not even LT would have done well against HIS own defense yesterday. I think both defenses are extremely comparable. Both had 3 sacks and 1 INT. SDC was forcing more fumbles and Chicago's Def was on the field for 15 MORE minutes.

Plain and simple....these two defenses came to put a hurt on....and the only surprise to me in this game was that it wasn't won by a defensive TD.

TOs gave SD some better field positions and they capitalized on enough of them to win. :D

Give up on Benson or Grossman? Eh....I probably wouldn't have drafted them anyway.....LOL. But I don't think I'd throw in the towel after week 1.

The SD "D" prides itself on stopping the run. I thought Benson did a good job eking out as many yards as he could where absolutely no hole existed. He DOES need to hold on to the ball though.

Why do I have memories of Grossman being booed at UF and everyone calling for him to lose the starting job there? Whenever I tell people this, they think I'm nuts. I don't remember him looking good in college.

Oh, and yes Benson sucks. He killed me in my most expensive league. He will be benched for AP until he learns to find a hole.

He almost won the Heisman...

I'm not overly concerned with Grossman or Benson. They faced one of the better defenses in the league yesterday, one that is particularly good against the run. Mark my words, while he may not do it with style Benson will be a top 10 rusher this year. He may not be a top 10 fantasy RB, but he will be in the top 10 for rushing yards. Have a little faith.