[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Kevin Everett - Great News

Sgt. Ryan

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014742

Kevin Everett might walk again after all.

The doctor who performed the spinal surgery on Everett told Buffalo TV station WIVB on Tuesday that Everett has voluntary movement of his arms and legs and as a result he is optimistic that Everett will walk again.

Dr. Andrew Cappuccino told WIVB that Everett's sedation levels were lowered on Tuesday, allowing him to respond to verbal commands. WIVB also reported that Everett's latest MRI shows only a small amount of swelling on his spinal cord.

On Monday, Cappuccino said that Everett sustained a "catastrophic" and life-threatening spinal-cord injury and was unlikely to walk again.

"A best-case scenario is full recovery, but not likely," Cappuccino said Monday. "I believe there will be some permanent neurologic deficit."

Everett was hurt Sunday after he ducked his head while tackling the Denver Broncos' Domenik Hixon during the second-half kickoff. Everett dropped face-first to the ground after his helmet hit Hixon high on the left shoulder and side of the helmet.

On Monday, Cappuccino noted the 25-year-old reserve tight end did have touch sensation throughout his body and also showed signs of movement. But he cautioned that Everett's injury was life-threatening because he was still susceptible to blood clots, infection and breathing failure.

AP Photo/Don Heupel

A trainer attends to Kevin Everett after he showed no signs of consciousness following a helmet-to-helmet hit on Denver's Domenik Hixon at the start of the second half.

Everett is in the intensive care unit of Buffalo's Millard Fillmore Gates Hospital, where he is under sedation and breathing through a respirator as doctors wait for the swelling to lessen.

Cappuccino repaired a break between the third and fourth vertebrae and also alleviated the pressure on the spinal cord. In reconstructing his spine, doctors made a bone graft and inserted a plate, held in by four screws, and also inserted two small rods, held in place by another four screws.

Doctors, however, weren't able to repair all the damage.

Bills punter Brian Moorman immediately feared the worst when Everett showed no signs of movement as he was placed on a backboard and, with his head and body immobilized, carefully loaded into an ambulance.

"It brought tears to my eyes," Moorman said after practice. He said the sight of Everett's motionless body brought back memories of Mike Utley, the former Detroit Lions guard, who was paralyzed below the chest after injuring his neck in a collision during a 1991 game.

Utley, Moorman recalled, at least was able to give what's become a famous "thumbs up" sign as he was taken off the field. Everett didn't.

"That's what I was waiting for, and that's what everybody else was waiting for," Moorman said. "And to have to walk back to the sideline and not see that made for a tough time."

Utley, who lives in Washington state, was saddened to see replays of Everett's collision.

"I'm sorry this young man got hurt," Utley said. "It wasn't a cheap shot. It was a great form tackle and that's it."

Cappuccino received permission to operate from Everett's mother, Patricia Dugas, who spoke by phone from her home in Houston. She and other family members arrived in Buffalo on Monday. Everett was born in Port Arthur, Texas, and played high school football there.

Buffalo's 2005 third-round draft pick out of Miami, Everett missed his rookie season because of a knee injury. He spent most of last year playing special teams. He was hoping to make an impact as a receiver.

Wish him all the best on a full recovery but a quick question to those that ask for prayers to keep coming. I'm by no means a religious person (agnostic) and mean no disrespect in any way (and not trying to start a religion vs non-religion discussion) but to those of you that ask for us to keep him in our prayers, etc do you really pray at night (or whenever) and say something to whoever you pray to directly about letting Kevin Everett walk again? Like thanks for health, family and let Kevin Everett recover?

Great news!!

Let me throw something out there that will sound totally crazy. If he is able to walk out of the hospital, as doctors are now suggesting, is there any chance he could ever get back on the football field? I know, sounds crazy and probably not possible, but I have two words for you in response to that, TEDY BRUSCHI.

Great news!!

Let me throw something out there that will sound totally crazy. If he is able to walk out of the hospital, as doctors are now suggesting, is there any chance he could ever get back on the football field? I know, sounds crazy and probably not possible, but I have two words for you in response to that, TEDY BRUSCHI.

If that were to happen, it would be like this:

Kevin Everett > Chuck Norris > Tedy Bruschi

Wish him all the best on a full recovery but a quick question to those that ask for prayers to keep coming. I'm by no means a religious person (agnostic) and mean no disrespect in any way (and not trying to start a religion vs non-religion discussion) but to those of you that ask for us to keep him in our prayers, etc do you really pray at night (or whenever) and say something to whoever you pray to directly about letting Kevin Everett walk again? Like thanks for health, family and let Kevin Everett recover?

yes

They gave him an ice cold IV to reduce the swelling. Glad that surgeon knew what he was doing.

My understanding (and I could be wrong) was that the injection was actually given by the Bills training staff - right to the injury area.

On top of that...the injection is still in it's "experimental" stages and was suggested based on research funded by the Miami Project. The Miami Project was started by an NFL Hall of Famer who's name escapes me who had a son that was paralyzed playing football. When the NFL cut funding to the Miami Project years ago, the Bills owner continued to donate. Apparently the Bills training staff had just practiced this procedure before the game last Sunday.

If that's true, it just adds a bit more incredible-ness to this story that keeps getting better.

Cheers.