[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If your not Cheating your not Trying

Cowboyz1

I've been staying away from this thread because I didn't want to hear all the overwrought indignation about the 'cheating.' Do I think the Pats deserve a fine of some kind? Sure. They were told -- as was the entire league -- to stop the practice of videotaping on the sidelines and they didn't stop. Great, go ahead and slap 'em on the wrist.

The fact remains, that stealing signs is part of the gamesmanship of professional sports. How is it any different from baseball in this regard? Do you think the advance scouts from other teams are there just to watch the players? Doubtful. They're there to scout out the sidelines goings-on as well. What about the use of a video camera makes this more heinous than having a guy sit there using binoculars?

The camera in question was taken 8 minutes into the game. It in no way affected the outcome of the game. The only reason this is a story is because it's about the Patriots.

I've been staying away from this thread because I didn't want to hear all the overwrought indignation about the 'cheating.' Do I think the Pats deserve a fine of some kind? Sure. They were told -- as was the entire league -- to stop the practice of videotaping on the sidelines and they didn't stop. Great, go ahead and slap 'em on the wrist.

The fact remains, that stealing signs is part of the gamesmanship of professional sports. How is it any different from baseball in this regard? Do you think the advance scouts from other teams are there just to watch the players? Doubtful. They're there to scout out the sidelines goings-on as well. What about the use of a video camera makes this more heinous than having a guy sit there using binoculars?

The camera in question was taken 8 minutes into the game. It in no way affected the outcome of the game. The only reason this is a story is because it's about the Patriots.

Nice Post Czarina

The funny thing about this whole topic is I wonder how many coaches told there camera guys not to try to film the signals this week, because Im sure the Patriots are not the first or last team to do this

The fact remains, that stealing signs is part of the gamesmanship of professional sports. How is it any different from baseball in this regard?

Ogling hot chicks is a way of life. Every guy does it and there's no way it's going to change.

So how is it any different that I hide videocameras under your desk? :D

What about the use of a video camera makes this more heinous than having a guy sit there using binoculars?

Using technology gives a team an obvious unfair advantage.

The only reason this is a story is because it's about the Patriots.

Well when people find out that the most successful franchise of the past decade may have gotten that way due to cheating...

Edited by budlitebrad

Ogling hot chicks is a way of life. Every guy does it and there's no way it's going to change.

So how is it any different that I hide videocameras under your desk? :D

So you're saying the Pats' camera guy was hiding in the Gatorade pitcher on the sidelines? In the toilet in the lockerroom? It's not the same thing, and you know it.

"Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000."

From ESPN

So it's safe to say that they're losing a first round pick.

Edited by budlitebrad

So you're saying the Pats' camera guy was hiding in the Gatorade pitcher on the sidelines? In the toilet in the lockerroom? It's not the same thing, and you know it.

I think you're losing perspective here.

Yes, he was hiding, because he had already been caught once.

Yes is is the same because he's using video recording equipment instead of looking.

Wow...

Dropping the hammer

NFL fines Belichick, forfeits Pats draft picks for spying

Bill Belichick and the Patriots could lose their first-round draft pick in 2008 -- if the club makes the playoffs this season.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Roger Goodell's hard line on discipline, aimed so far at players, came down this time on a coach and a team.

New England coach Bill Belichick was fined the NFL maximum of $500,000 Thursday and the Patriots were ordered to pay $250,000 for spying on an opponent's defensive signals.

The commissioner also ordered the team to give up next year's first-round draft choice if it reaches the playoffs and second- and third-round picks if it doesn't.

"This episode represents a calculated and deliberate attempt to avoid longstanding rules designed to encourage fair play and promote honest competition on the playing field," Goodell said in a letter to the Patriots.

The videotaping came to light after a camera was confiscated from Patriots video assistant Matt Estrella while he was on the New York Jets' sideline during New England's 38-14 win last Sunday at Giants Stadium.

The NFL said the camera was seized before the end of the first quarter and had no impact on the game.

Goodell said he considered suspending Belichick but didn't "largely because I believe that the discipline I am imposing of a maximum fine and forfeiture of a first-round draft choice, or multiple draft choices, is in fact more significant and long-lasting, and therefore more effective, than a suspension."

New England, strengthened by the addition of Randy Moss and two other first-rate wide receivers as well as linebacker Adalius Thomas, is considered one of the favorites to win the Super Bowl for the fourth time since the 2001 season. If the Patriots lose their first-rounder next season they still will have a first-round pick, obtained from San Francisco in the deal that brought Moss from Oakland.

NFL rules state "no video recording devices of any kind are permitted to be in use in the coaches' booth, on the field, or in the locker room during the game." They also say all video for coaching purposes must be shot from locations "enclosed on all sides with a roof overhead."

That was re-emphasized in a memo sent Sept. 6 to NFL head coaches and general managers. In it, Ray Anderson, the league's executive vice president of football operations wrote: "Videotaping of any type, including but not limited to taping of an opponent's offensive or defensive signals, is prohibited on the sidelines, in the coaches' booth, in the locker room, or at any other locations accessible to club staff members during the game."

The NFL statement said Goodell believed Patriots owner Robert Kraft was unaware of Belichick's actions.

But it said the commissioner believed penalties should be imposed on the club because "Coach Belichick not only serves as the head coach but also has substantial control over all aspects of New England's football operations. His actions and decisions are properly attributed to the club."

There was no immediate comment from the Patriots.

The action against Belichick is the latest in a series of harsh disciplinary actions taken by Goodell, who took office last Sept. 1, succeeding Paul Tagliabue.

The most notable were the indefinite suspension of Atlanta quarterback Michael Vick after he pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge and the one-year suspension of Tennessee cornerback Adam "Pacman" Jones after numerous run-ins with police.

On Wednesday, Belichick issued a one-paragraph statement 10 minutes before his regular availability, saying he had spoken with Goodell "about a videotaping procedure during last Sunday's game and my interpretation of the rules."

"Although it remains a league matter, I want to apologize to everyone who has been affected, most of all ownership, staff and players," he said.

NFL coaches long have suspected opponents of spying. In the early 1970s, the late George Allen, coach of the Washington Redskins, routinely would send a security man into the woods surrounding the team's practice facility because he suspected there were spies from other teams there.

And coaches like Seattle's Mike Holmgren and Philadelphia's Andy Reid, among others, always cover their mouths when calling plays from the sideline because they fear other teams have lip readers trying to determine their calls.

The most recent hefty fine against a coach was in 2005, when Tagliabue fined former Minnesota coach Mike Tice $100,000 for scalping Super Bowl tickets.

Last November, Goodell fined Tennessee coach Jeff Fisher, co-chairman of the competition committee, $12,500 for criticizing officials. He also fined Pittsburgh owner Dan Rooney, one of his mentors and the man who informed him he had been elected commissioner, for the same violation.