[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If this is true.....

rocknrobn26

Grossman: '[Rivera's] never been around me'

Responds to reports of Rivera calling him a 'mental midget'

While Cedric Benson was fending of accusations by a San Diego linebacker that Benson is "soft," teammates were responding to reports that former defensive coordinator Ron Rivera called quarterback Rex Grossman a "mental midget."

Grossman said he hadn't heard of the comments until a team staffer mentioned it to him shortly before his weekly news conference.

"[Rivera] has never been around me," Grossman said. "He's always been up in the booth."

Grossman said that he hasn't spoken to Rivera but speculated that perhaps Rivera was making the comments stemming from a back-and-forth Grossman had at the end of the 2006 season with Minnesota Vikings safety Darren Sharper.

Center Olin Kreutz was a little less diplomatic.

"I think Ron Rivera showed you right there why he's not here anymore," Kreutz said. "He's kind of a me guy."

Rivera appeared on Mike North's show on WSCR-AM 670 on Wednesday morning to deny the accusation.

rstrohl@tribune.com

I always held Rivera in high regard, but if this is true his comment is classless! :D

Geez, people like you are the reason we have sensetivity classes.

Its FOOTBALL, not Quilting with Martha...

Whats next, you getting offended because Shawn Merriman sacks someone too hard?

Playing football (or coaching football) is not a license to be a jerk.

Or posting like a jerk to one of our esteemed brethren.

Edited by aqualung

You want to hug it out?

So I guess its o.k. to bitch about someone making a statement about a guy who lost a super bowl, but I'm a jerk because I'm tired of all the pu$$y's in this country that are easily offended delicate flowers? This is a mans game... Its a violent game... Do you guys have any idea the trash that is talked on the field during the game?

Here is an idea, why don't we just all play nice, not hit hard, not say anything that might may someone feel bad, and while we're at it, lets not keep score anymore...

Because we're all winners if we have sportsmanship.

Nancies.

I always held Rivera in high regard, but if this is true his comment is classless! :D

It might be just me, but I can understand Rivera being mad. I mean He is controlling a defense that is great, and wins games for the team by itself. Then you have a horrible QB that comes in, and tries hard to lose games for you. You do all the work on defense for a QB to come in who's stupid and will throw the ball to the other team.

I am sure that in the history of football, there has NEVER been a coach or player that has ever spoke ill about their opponent. Who cares what Rivera said. If Grossman is a mental midget, then Rivera is right. If he's not, then Rivera's wrong and it will mean nothing. If this really upsets Grossman, how on earth does he take any of the other comments that fans, the media, and just about everyone else says about his performances?

You want to hug it out?

So I guess its o.k. to bitch about someone making a statement about a guy who lost a super bowl, but I'm a jerk because I'm tired of all the pu$$y's in this country that are easily offended delicate flowers? This is a mans game... Its a violent game... Do you guys have any idea the trash that is talked on the field during the game?

Here is an idea, why don't we just all play nice, not hit hard, not say anything that might may someone feel bad, and while we're at it, lets not keep score anymore...

Nancies.

+1

From the little football I played... the things that coaches said about their own players and opposing players would not be anywhere near as PG-13 as "mental midget"... and that was with a bunch of high school aged kids!

Geezz....next thing you know they will make rules to protect the quarterback so they dont get their feelings hurt.

fixed

I still think Grossman has potential to be a serviceable starter, he just has to get more consistent. As for Rivera's comments? Who cares? I actually find it kinda funny...

Although I prefer the term botard over mental midget, but that's just splitting hairs...

fixed

I still think Grossman has potential to be a serviceable starter, he just has to get more consistent. As for Rivera's comments? Who cares? I actually find it kinda funny...

Although I prefer the term botard over mental midget, but that's just splitting hairs...

Jerkenstein... don't forget "jerkenstein"...

True.

TY, my friend.

Robn, don't over react...it's more media than anything else.

Not an over reaction, just a comment on what I felt was a classless thing to say. It also could be a reason why he lost his job w/ Chi and when he found one it was a demotion. Attitude.

Its bad business. If this happened in any other business, there'd be issues. Rivera isn't a player - he is management and should start acting like it. Different rules apply.

Good point.

:D:D

The funny thing about it is if he did say that, it surely had/has some effect on Grossman's glass-like confidence. Mind games....sorta like Yogi said about baseball...""Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical.". Classless? Remember this is professional sports we're talking about here. :wacko:

Edited by Hitman

You want to hug it out?

Nancies.

THAT'S RIGHT!!!! WHITE POWER!!!!! Ehhh....ummmm.... I mean.....Yeah! Whussies....