[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Packers update

Randall

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They still have Driver, Jones, Martin and Holiday active. Not sure if a practice-squad callup is an iprovement. :D

Thought I read somewhere that Holliday may not play. And I'm pretty sure Jones plays Drivers position. Where Driver would move to the slot on 3 WR sets. So, not sure that Driver and Jones are prepared to be on the field together all the time. Unless Driver knows all 3 positions....probably does eh? Am I wrong? Does happen now and then. Not where the wife is concerned though. :D

Someone get on the horn with 1996 and fix this.

Eli Manning, QB NYG

News: NFL.com reports Friday that Eli Manning will start vs. the Packers in Week 2. Manning's shoulder was hurt in the Giants' loss at Dallas last week and speculation was rampant that Manning would miss some time. "He seemed to throw the ball pretty good," coach Tom Coughlin said. "But that is not for me to judge. That's for others. If you really watch closely, he did the smart thing. He loosened up pretty good and started to get into the velocity throws a little bit later on."

Analysis: Earlier Friday we reported via the New York Daily News that Manning's teammates expect him to play. Fantasy owners should still be cautious about using Manning in Week 2 -- confirm his status on Sunday before the game (we'll have that info). The Packers will present a challenge to the Giants offense this week.

WHERE ARE MY TOOLS NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For starters there is a big difference between "a source says" and "Dr. Andrew said" thats the difference between the articles.... the one you gave us a link to was pure speculation on someone's part while mine had direct quotes from DR. Andrews.......

Take a chill pill....god I hope your not married because you probably beat your wife with that temper

Who is this little morsel at the end directed at? Me?

Edited by piratesownninjas

Where did you get that information? Are you saying getting slammed to the ground again won't result in a worse shoulder separation?

While the Giants continue to say Manning is "day-to-day," a source who has spoken with Manning and is familiar with the team doctors' diagnosis told the Daily News that Manning was initially told by Dr. Russell Warren, the team physician, that his recovery time would be 3-4 weeks. The source said Dr. Warren diagnosed a second-degree sprain of his right shoulder and that Dr. James Andrews, the orthopedic surgeon who reviewed the MRI in Birmingham, Ala., agreed.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football...nings_prog.html

Maybe if you read an updated version of the daily news.....please not your link is from 4 am this morning and the one I am posting is from 7:10 pm..... so before we start misinforming other huddlers and post old news.....please check and see if the story has changed especially if it is from the same newspaper....

Here is the updated story from 7:10 pm today

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football..._this_week.html

A second opinion on Eli Manning's injured right shoulder was the same as the first opinion: It's a sprained A-C joint and if he can tolerate the pain, he can play.

The Giants sent Manning's MRI to Dr. James Andrews - a noted orthopedic surgeon who operates out of Birmingham, Alabama - and he informed them today that he agreed with their initial diagnosis. He saw no structural damage in Manning's shoulder, and saw no reason to think he could damage it by playing this week.

So now it's up to Manning. If the pain in his shoulder decreases, or if he can tolerate it, he can play against the Green Bay Packers in the Giants' home opener. If not, he'll sit out and Jared Lorenzen will get the call.

The Giants are also convinced that even if Manning can't play this week, that he will definitely be ready to go in two weeks when they play the Redskins in Washington on Sept. 23.

Notice the bold print....they are direct quotes from Dr. Andrews..... So to answer your question.....NO !!!!! He cant damage it anymore from playing this week.... Do you want to question Dr. Andrews direct quote ????

Randall's link, article is timestamped Thursday, September 13th 2007, 4:00 AM.

Your link, article is timestamped Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 7:13 PM.

I have no clue what is going on with Eli Manning. But I found it a bit hughmorous that you scolded Randall about not checking for the latest news update before posting news. Then you, gd74, link to an article that is about a day and a half older than Randall's linked article to prove your point? :D

Edited by Gunther

Randall's link, article is timestamped Thursday, September 13th 2007, 4:00 AM.

Your link, article is timestamped Tuesday, September 11th 2007, 7:13 PM.

I have no clue what is going on with Eli Manning. But I found it a bit hughmorous that you scolded Randall about not checking for the latest news update before posting news. Then you, gd74, link to an article that is about a day and a half older than Randall's linked article to prove your point? :D

:D

Where is the tool at now?

Randall's writer...

The Giants sent Manning's MRI to Dr. James Andrews - a noted orthopedic surgeon who operates out of Birmingham, Alabama - and he informed them today that he agreed with their initial diagnosis. He saw no structural damage in Manning's shoulder, and saw no reason to think he could damage it by playing this week.

same Doc the said he is out a month...

THE PICK: It’s a tough call to make, not officially knowing the status of Manning, but for the sake of this pick I’ll go with what I believe – that he’s going to play. Until the defense proves otherwise, assume the Giants will need to win shootouts every week. If Umenyiora returns, that’ll help the pass rush, which will help the secondary, but it still doesn’t figure to be great. The key may be how healthy Manning’s shoulder really is. From what I saw Friday, he looks good, and from what I’ve been told he’s feeling fine. He may not have as big a day as he did last Sunday, but it should be good enough.

Final score: Giants 27, Packers 24.

the same writer that reported the article about Eli being out a month...

Now thats 2 Writers who cover the Giants...as thier job say Eli is playing, not writers who sit in bristol and spew out second hand info just so they can say "first!", similiar to some huddle posters who take info they heard from the radio and post it without providing a link.

and to get this hijacked thread back on track...it looks like the Packer "O" could be in some trouble with only 3 WR's healthy enough to go.

Link

Notebook: Wide receivers are banged up

By Tom Pelissero

tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Offensive coordinator Joe Philbin said he couldn't remember putting together a game plan with only three healthy wide receivers. But the Green Bay Packers are doing just that — or at least planning for the contingency — as they prepare for Sunday's game against the New York Giants.

No. 2 receiver Greg Jennings, who sat out last week's opener, remains limited by a hamstring injury, and Carlyle Holiday didn't practice at all Thursday because of a knee injury. Toss in tight end Donald Lee, who was added to the injury report Thursday with a knee injury, and a Packers offense that has struggled to move the ball on the ground could be strikingly low on healthy bodies to move it through the air.

"You're one play away from being out of some personnel groups," coach Mike McCarthy said. "That's what you try to avoid in game-planning, but that's the reality of where we would be (if only three receivers suit up)."

It seems almost certain the backfield won't get its long-awaited reinforcement Sunday. For the second straight week, Vernand Morency tried and failed to get through a full practice after his injured knee "flared up on him" Thursday, according to McCarthy, who deemed Morency questionable. In reality, Morency has almost no chance for playing Sunday, so the Packers are moving forward with Brandon Jackson, DeShawn Wynn and Ryan Grant.

Holiday likely will be inactive Sunday, too, and Jennings' status is uncertain after he reported soreness Thursday. That leaves Donald Driver, rookie James Jones and Ruvell Martin unless Jennings proves he's ready to go.

A little thin, huh?

"Tell me about it," Jennings said. "That's all we've been thinking about, but it's one of them situations where you never know what can happen."

The extent of Lee's injury wasn't clear — the injury report was released after McCarthy met with reporters — but it isn't believed to be serious. Lee was in the locker room after practice, and McCarthy's demeanor didn't reflect the type of injury that, if it was enough to sideline Lee, would leave the Packers with only one tight end, Bubba Franks.

"We just have to make sure we're doing the right things by everybody, by the ballclub, by them medically," Philbin said. "When they're ready to come back full-speed, they'll be able to help us."

Grant ready?

Grant, acquired from the Giants on cutdown weekend for a sixth-round pick, suited up but didn't play in his Packers debut.

McCarthy and Philbin said Grant will be ready to play in select packages against his old team this week, though not necessarily because he'll be familiar with what's going on across the line of scrimmage.

"It's definitely more what a back has to do in our system that we're worried about, as opposed to, 'Geez, I've seen that blitz before. I've seen that front before,'" Philbin said. "That's really the thing we're working hard to get him acclimated to our system as quickly as possible."

That hasn't been easy, because practice repetitions are slashed once the regular season starts. So coaches have had to bring along Grant slowly to avoid preventing their two rookies, Jackson and Wynn, from getting sufficient work.

It's also left little room in practice for Morency. Speaking in front of his locker after practice, Morency said six times that he was limited in practice and five times that he's "getting better" — the same phrases he's repeated in nearly every interview since he strained the patellar tendon in his right knee on the first day of training camp July 28.

Injury update

Defensive end Aaron Kampman returned to practice on a limited basis and almost certainly will play through a rib injury for the second straight week.

Asked whether he'll play against the Giants, however, Kampman was coy, saying: "You know me. It takes a lot to slow me down."

Jason Spitz also returned on a limited basis, practicing with a wrap on his injured left calf. However, it appears Junius Coston remains in line to start at right guard.

Being down to 3 WR is only an issue if you get down big.

Let's hope. If the defense can take over games(as AJ Hawk said they want to do in TC) Favre won't need to take so many chances. He still might but the need may not be there this season. I hope.

After seeing what Dallas did to the Giants secondary last week I expect to see Farve throwing alot in this game.

They activated WR Francies off the practice quad as Hoiliday was out on IR, the 5th player to be on injured reserve so far this year.

thats a rather naive statement...

how do you expect a team to get the lead if they don't have the proper personnel on 3rd-long situations?

I think he was referring to Favre taking a lot of chances when down multiple touchdowns. If the defense keeps the game close he won't be quite the gunslinger.

He has Driver and Jones along with Ruvel Martin who has played better this year. He also has TE's Lee and Bubba Franks.

I think he was referring to Favre taking a lot of chances when down multiple touchdowns. If the defense keeps the game close he won't be quite the gunslinger.

He has Driver and Jones along with Ruvel Martin who has played better this year. He also has TE's Lee and Bubba Franks.

Romo was when the giants kept it close...but who is better Sam Hurd or Ruvel Martin?

how do you expect a team to get the lead if they don't have the proper personnel on 3rd-long situations?

Plenty of ways:

- avoid 3rd and long situations by being efficient on offense

- play superb defense and keep the other team off the board

- excel on special teams and keep the field tilted in your favor, leading to easy FGs

GB showed in week one they are more than capable of the latter two. The first.... :D

Things looking up for receivers

It looks like the Packers' receiving game will finally be close to full strength, based on the team listing wideouts Greg Jennings and James Jones as probable for Sunday's game against the San Diego Chargers.

Jennings has sat out the first two games of the season with a hamstring injury, leaving Jones and Donald Driver as the starting receivers. Jones left practice on Thursday with a hamstring problem.

But the Packers believe Jennings and Jones will both be ready to play on Sunday, giving Brett Favre more weapons in his arsenal than he has had at his disposal all season.

Running back Vernand Morency, who went down with a knee injury on the first day of training camp, is listed as doubtful for Sunday.

posted by PackersNews.com at 2:25 PM | 0 comments

WR James Jones (GB) claimed Friday that he didn't get hurt Thursday according to the AP.

Instead, Jones said coach Mike McCarthy became protective after he said he felt some tightness in his hamstring during the team's jog-through.

"It was Coach just being scared and nervous. It wasn't nothing about my hammy," Jones said. "That's why I told Coach I'm never telling him anything again. I was out there in warmups, and I said, 'Coach, it's a little cold out here, I'm going to go over here and stretch, my hammy is a little tight.' The next thing I know, all the trainers are running up on me, and Coach is like, 'Get him out. Get Jones out of practice.' I'm like, I'm 100 percent, I just need to stretch.' It was crazy."

He's listed as probable with a hamstring.