[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats lose 1st round pick

budlitebrad

Belichick Fined; Pats Lose Pick

Bill Belichick was hit with a $500,000 fine Thursday night -- the maximum allowable by NFL by-laws -- for violating the league's policy on videotaping the Jets defensive signs Sunday. In addition, Roger Goodell notified the Patriots that they would forfeit a 2008 first-round draft choice if they reach the playoffs, or second- and third-round picks if they do not qualify for the playoffs. The club was also fined $250,000.

ESPN.com

Some people are calling for the forfeit, but this seems pretty fair I think. A draft pick has a more lasting effect obviously.

Edited by budlitebrad

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is fitting and I am glad the punishment came swiftly so as not to drag out speculation and further tarnish the current football season. I had enough of that drawn out stuff with Vick.

Regardless if other teams do it, they got caught and need to be made an example of.

Edited by TDFFFreak

I don't really think it is that big of a deal, what the Patriots did. I'm sure others do stuff as well, to try to get an advantage, but, the fact is, they got caught breaking a rule. I really like the way that Goodell is coming down hard when rules are broken.

I don't really think it is that big of a deal, what the Patriots did. I'm sure others do stuff as well, to try to get an advantage, but, the fact is, they got caught breaking a rule. I really like the way that Goodell is coming down hard when rules are broken.

That's a pretty stiff thumping they just took, and I have to assume that's because of the repeat nature of what they did.

I had hoped Goodell would not have messed with the 1st round pick. I think he may cause himself problems from the NFLPA now. If Gene Washington does not head the appeal he should be removed as the head of the NFLPA. This is not a homer opnion on the Pats but more so on the players of the NFL. If you dock the Pats a 1st round pick you have now made the 2008 NFL Draft a major problem. The 1st round would now be 31 picks long and one player would be losing out on a 4-6 year deal with a lot of guaranteed money. Not to mention the slotting of salaries would now be knocked out of the loop. Look how long it took Russell to sign because they could not agree on the slotted money. Now take 1/32 of the round out and you could have a ton of problems getting people signed. The 3rd round pick would not cause much problem as you have compensatory picks added every year to the 3rd round making more than 32 players in that round.

The 500k fine is a significant amount especially since it has to come from Belichick not Kraft. But in reality, Belichick will get compensated for some of the money in due time from Kraft when they negotiate a contract extension. The 3rd round pick alone would probably not be a suitable penalty but to add the 1st is a little much. What would be acceptable? I don't have a perfect example but maybe the 3rd and the loss of the franchise tag for next year. Or the 3rd and a penalty stating the next time they play the Jets they lose a set number of roster spots for the game, ie they have to play with 40 players for the game. My point is I do not agree that you put the entire team side of the penalty on the draft. In reality the Pats will be fine next year as they will still have SF 1st round pick.

Now onto more important things like getting ready for San Diego.

Edited by Sleeping King

I had hoped Goodell would not have messed with the 1st round pick. I think he may cause himself problems from the NFLPA now. If Gene Washington does not head the appeal he should be removed as the head of the NFLPA. This is not a homer opnion on the Pats but more so on the players of the NFL. If you dock the Pats a 1st round pick you have now made the 2008 NFL Draft a major problem. The 1st round would now be 31 picks long and one player would be losing out on a 4-6 year deal with a lot of guaranteed money. Not to mention the slotting of salaries would now be knocked out of the loop. Look how long it took Russell to sign because they could not agree on the slotted money. Now take 1/32 of the round out and you could have a ton of problems getting people signed. The 3rd round pick would not cause much problem as you have compensatory picks added every year to the 3rd round making more than 32 players in that round.

The 500k fine is a significant amount especially since it has to come from Belichick not Kraft. But in reality, Belichick will get compensated for some of the money in due time from Kraft when they negotiate a contract extension. The 3rd round pick alone would probably not be a suitable penalty but to add the 1st is a little much. What would be acceptable? I don't have a perfect example but maybe the 3rd and the loss of the franchise tag for next year. Or the 3rd and a penalty stating the next time they play the Jets they lose a set number of roster spots for the game, ie they have to play with 40 players for the game. My point is I do not agree that you put the entire team side of the penalty on the draft. In reality the Pats will be fine next year as they will still have SF 1st round pick.

Are the cameras loaded?

Wow, seems a bit to driven by the media.

Not a big deal imo, as this sort of stuff happens in every sport, and has been going on in the NFL for who knows how long.

This is not on the media. Teams were warned by the NFL at the beginning of the year not to do this. Then NE goes and spits ion the face of the Commish by doing exactly what they were told not to do. On top of that I hear that Goddell and Belichick are friends. It is as if he thought he could do it and get away with it with problems. The Pats knew they were cheating but they got caught when they were just warned of this. The Pats have no one to blame than themselves. Especially since they were so damn obvious with this. :D

Edited by BigTen

It is my understanding that if they don't make the playoffs, then they forfeit both a 2nd and a 3rd. If they make the playoffs, they lose a 1st. The slotting your talking about means that they at worst will pick in the last 12 slots if they make the playoffs. I really don't see how that will effect anyone but the last 10-12 players there if they bow out early. But if they don't make the playoffs, they keep their 1st round pick and lose the 2nd and 3rd rounders. I'm sure they will figure it all out.

And who is to blame for this?

You mean Gene Upshaw?

As for the 1st round having 31 picks instead of 32, I have a simple solution. Give the pick to the Jets. They are, after all, the victims here.

It is my understanding that if they don't make the playoffs, then they forfeit both a 2nd and a 3rd. If they make the playoffs, they lose a 1st. The slotting your talking about means that they at worst will pick in the last 12 slots if they make the playoffs. I really don't see how that will effect anyone but the last 10-12 players there if they bow out early. But if they don't make the playoffs, they keep their 1st round pick and lose the 2nd and 3rd rounders. I'm sure they will figure it all out.

Oh I am sure Goodell thought about it before making a decision, but the fact remains someone will be losing out on that roster spot which is important to the NFLPA.

The deserved a penalty no doubt. I just think this was a bit much, but at least it is over and they can get on with the season.

One thing I do find a bit of irony in is that Mike Shanahan said this "Our guy keeps a pair of binoculars on their signal-callers every game," says Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. "With any luck, we have their defensive signals figured out by halftime. Sometimes, by the end of the first quarter."

So it is acceptable if you have binoculars and you watch the defensive hand calls and write them on a piece of paper. You are vilified if you essentially use the same set of binoculars but you happen to have a record button on them instead of writing it on a piece of paper.

Well done Goodell and congrats on holding the NFL to high standards. This guy has endured a lot of tough issues right out of the gate and is handling them nicely. I like the fact that he seems to be consistent when laying the hammer down although this is a uniques situation.

Now since the a pick or two will be docked from the Pats, where does it go? That's a void that needs to be filled. I agree with the post by sleeping king.

Big deal. Belichick should have been suspended.

This makes it clear to me that there are 2 sets of rules. One for Goodells buddies and one for everybody else.

Wade Wilson got suspend FIVE games for taking HGH for a medical condition. That had nothing to do with the integrity of the game.

Belichick spits in the face of the league after being warned, and he gets virtually no punishment? Draft picks? Big f'n deal. Over half of 1st round draft picks never amount to anything anyway, and the Pats have 2 first rounders next year anyway.

I'm calling BS on this one.

Goodell is a hypocrite.

Well done Goodell and congrats on holding the NFL to high standards. This guy has endured a lot of tough issues right out of the gate and is handling them nicely. I like the fact that he seems to be consistent when laying the hammer down although this is a uniques situation.

Now since the a pick or two will be docked from the Pats, where does it go? That's a void that needs to be filled. I agree with the post by sleeping king.

Agreed...he he cleaning up the mess that Tagliabue left. Consider that every decision he made (with the exception of Michael Vick) stemmed from behavior that began while Tags was the commish...and was allowed to continue unchecked.

First Class thumping for a no class franchise...........Should have taken more picks but the number one is good......And they surely should have dug deeper in their pockets. $750,000 is their PG&E bill that won't even sting.........

Edited by Cowboyz1