[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pats lose 1st round pick

budlitebrad

Big deal. Belichick should have been suspended.

Wade Wilson got suspend FIVE games for taking HGH for a medical condition. That had nothing to do with the integrity of the game.

Belichick spits in the face of the league after being warned, and he gets virtually no punishment? Draft picks? Big f'n deal. Over half of 1st round draft picks never amount to anything anyway, and the Pats have 2 first rounders next year anyway.

I'm calling BS on this one.

I think the penalty should be harder too, but maybe the league needs to add the language into their rules. The right thing would be a suspension just like a player using performance enhancing drugs to cheat.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, seems a bit to driven by the media.

just like every other action by this commissioner to date.

i have to think, at some point, he's actually HURTING the image of the NFL. it draws attention. think back to a couple years ago, when jamal lewis pled guilty to federal drug trafficking conspiracy. tags gives him a couple games (or was it 4?), and then it was pretty much over.

now we've got guys who haven't even been charged with anything being suspended a whole season, teams forfeiting their first round picks, franchise QBs essentially being blackballed possibly forever. it's serious stuff, but while this mr. tough guy may in some way please all the grumpy "the game is going to hell" whiners, i think what it really does is give them more to get all indignant and self-righteous about. goodell will learn this at some point. but right now, i have to say he seems a little out of his depth to me personally. king solomon, he ain't.

in any case, nice job belichick, you cheating, no-class turd. couldn't have happened to a better fella. :D

just like every other action by this commissioner to date.

i have to think, at some point, he's actually HURTING the image of the NFL. it draws attention. think back to a couple years ago, when jamal lewis pled guilty to federal drug trafficking conspiracy. tags gives him a couple games (or was it 4?), and then it was pretty much over.

now we've got guys who haven't even been charged with anything being suspended a whole season, teams forfeiting their first round picks, franchise QBs essentially being blackballed possibly forever. it's serious stuff, but while this mr. tough guy may in some way please all the grumpy "the game is going to hell" whiners, i think what it really does is give them more to get all indignant and self-righteous about. goodell will learn this at some point. but right now, i have to say he seems a little out of his depth to me personally. king solomon, he ain't.

in any case, nice job belichick, you cheating, no-class turd. couldn't have happened to a better fella. :D

:D

I had hoped Goodell would not have messed with the 1st round pick. I think he may cause himself problems from the NFLPA now. If Gene Washington does not head the appeal he should be removed as the head of the NFLPA.

why would the NFLPA care? have they ever complained about teams being docked draft picks in the past?

Somebody pull out the cheese for all that wine in the post ablove

Dear Genius,

I didn't see anyone whining... Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he's whining.

You mean Gene Upshaw?

As for the 1st round having 31 picks instead of 32, I have a simple solution. Give the pick to the Jets. They are, after all, the victims here.

This opens a pandora's box... The Pats were caught doing this to the Packers last year, and Zach Thomas of the Dolphins fessed up to his team doing this to the Pats...

Dear Genius,

I didn't see anyone whining... Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he's whining.

This opens a pandora's box... The Pats were caught doing this to the Packers last year, and Zach Thomas of the Dolphins fessed up to his team doing this to the Pats...

No...it doesn't open the Box...it sets an example. The examples provided were under a commissioner who refused to act. This commissioner is different. Now, this pick goes to a bitter division rival. It's a perfect move to set the example. IMHO, of course.

Big deal. Belichick should have been suspended.

This makes it clear to me that there are 2 sets of rules. One for Goodells buddies and one for everybody else.

Wade Wilson got suspend FIVE games for taking HGH for a medical condition. That had nothing to do with the integrity of the game.

Belichick spits in the face of the league after being warned, and he gets virtually no punishment? Draft picks? Big f'n deal. Over half of 1st round draft picks never amount to anything anyway, and the Pats have 2 first rounders next year anyway.

I'm calling BS on this one.

Goodell is a hypocrite.

This was a mistake by Goodell, he went completely overboard with Wilson. He is on a complete power trip. Goodell having a hard on for Wilson not being able to have a hard on should not have any impact on what the penalty for Belichick is/was.

...interesting...

I hadn't been following it very closely ... but, I do have to admit some of SK's ideas are intriguing (as are some of the others posted).

If you were NE, would you rather pay:

1) Forfeit next years' first round pick (if in the playoffs)

2) Forfeit next years' second and third round picks (if not in the playoffs)

3) Next years' third through seventh round picks are all given to the Jets

4) Lose franchise tag for two years

5) Suspend Belichick for the next four games

6) Reduce salary cap for next year by 5% (probable NFLPA issues / CBA issues)

7) Next three games against the Jets, no helmet audio between coaches and Tom Brady

...etc...

No...it doesn't open the Box...it sets an example. The examples provided were under a commissioner who refused to act. This commissioner is different. Now, this pick goes to a bitter division rival. It's a perfect move to set the example. IMHO, of course.

Is the H in IMHO for honest or homer? And the Jets could have forced Brady to draw the plays the Pats were going to run on an etch a sketch, handed it to Mangina pre play, and they still would have had their ass handed to them. IMHO

You mean Gene Upshaw?

As for the 1st round having 31 picks instead of 32, I have a simple solution. Give the pick to the Jets. They are, after all, the victims here.

Um, the Packers were the ones that were originally victimized - we lost 35-0. That pick is ours!

Is the H in IMHO for honest or homer? And the Jets could have forced Brady to draw the plays the Pats were going to run on an etch a sketch, handed it to Mangina pre play, and they still would have had their ass handed to them. IMHO

Well played, sir.

I am a Jets fan but tell me why the team that was cheated against gets no restitution? I posted in another thread that we'd have gotten our arses handed to us anyway and I stand by that. But the Pats have been caught, they've been busted and now an imbalance exists in round 1 -- as you pointed out. Why not even the imbalance out and give the cheated team -- the Jets -- that pick.

In my honest, non-homer-glass-wearing opinion.

I havent read all of the threads on the spy topic so I am sure this has been mentioned but do you get the feeling Mangini knew of this because he was aware of it from his days in the Pats organization ?

...interesting...

I hadn't been following it very closely ... but, I do have to admit some of SK's ideas are intriguing (as are some of the others posted).

If you were NE, would you rather pay:

1) Forfeit next years' first round pick (if in the playoffs)

2) Forfeit next years' second and third round picks (if not in the playoffs)

3) Next years' third through seventh round picks are all given to the Jets

5) Suspend Belichick for the next four games

6) Reduce salary cap for next year by 5% (probable NFLPA issues / CBA issues)

7) Next three games against the Jets, no helmet audio between coaches and Tom Brady

...etc...

Good post, I would venture to guess the Pats would choose

The Patriots have only used the franchise tag on 3 players.

2002-Adam Vinatieri

2003-Tebucky Jones

2005-Adam Vinatieri

2007-Asante Samuel

They used it on Vinatieri to keep his contract down. They traded Tebucky to the Saints. The only time they have used it in an impactful way was with Samuel.

Well played, sir.

I am a Jets fan but tell me why the team that was cheated against gets no restitution? I posted in another thread that we'd have gotten our arses handed to us anyway and I stand by that. But the Pats have been caught, they've been busted and now an imbalance exists in round 1 -- as you pointed out. Why not even the imbalance out and give the cheated team -- the Jets -- that pick.

In my honest, non-homer-glass-wearing opinion.

They are getting something from it. The biggest rival they have now loses a 1st round pick.

I havent read all of the threads on the spy topic so I am sure this has been mentioned but do you get the feeling Mangini knew of this because he was aware of it from his days in the Pats organization ?

Good point. I read an article that mentioned this in si.com. Dr. Z wrote it. Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Good point. I read an article that mentioned this in si.com. Dr. Z wrote it. Link: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ex.html?eref=T1

Oh he absolutely knew about it. I have not gone on a rant about Mangini just because nothing has come out saying he was the one that turned them in. If it comes out he did then he better hope he has a long successful career as the Jets head coach because even if what the Pats did was wrong being a rat is not looked at kindly by anyone.

That said, nothing has come to light saying Mangini had anything to do with it. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Oh he absolutely knew about it. I have not gone on a rant about Mangini just because nothing has come out saying he was the one that turned them in. If it comes out he did then he better hope he has a long successful career as the Jets head coach because even if what the Pats did was wrong being a rat is not looked at kindly by anyone.

That said, nothing has come to light saying Mangini had anything to do with it. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

you've got to be kidding me if you think mangini had nothing to do with it.

Neither is a cheater.

I can't tell you how you would handle it were you in his shoes, but I have to think that you'd have done the same? Assuming, of course, he had something to do with this.

Edited by The Wolf