[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chester Taylor?

Easy n Dirty

What's the latest homers, is this guy playing or not? Will his mysterious hip injury-turned oblique injury-turned hip injury keep him out? I know Detroit is his hometown and it was the only game he missed last season (@ Detroit), so I'm guessing he'll play if he can.

I'm likely to start Adrian Petersen over Lamont Jordan either way, but if Taylor sits then it becomes a no brainer.

What's the latest homers, is this guy playing or not? Will his mysterious hip injury-turned oblique injury-turned hip injury keep him out? I know Detroit is his hometown and it was the only game he missed last season (@ Detroit), so I'm guessing he'll play if he can.

I'm likely to start Adrian Petersen over Lamont Jordan either way, but if Taylor sits then it becomes a no brainer.

Adrian Petersen is in my staring lineup this week.

Updated today

Childress on Taylor, James; injury report

September 13th, 2007 – 4:01 PM by Judd Zulgad Brad Childress said it’s too early in the week to say whether running back Chester Taylor (hip or bruised oblique) will be able to play Sunday at Detroit. “He’s coming along,” Childress after today’s practice. “Limited. Coming along.”

As far as defensive end Erasmus James’ status in his return from a knee injury, Childress made it clear he won’t rush things. James did not play last Sunday against Atlanta.

“He’s obviously back on the field practicing, which obviously is a huge plus, but I just think it’s a matter of time of ramping it up to where he was at when he left,” Childress said. “We’ve said what we said about him, when he comes back, he’s the starter. But you have to be playing at the level that those guys are playing at right now. When he was playing at that level that he was before he got hurt against Carolina [in the second game of last season], we saw a steady ascension by him. And believe me it’s not that he’s not going full speed. It’s just a matter of gaining all his faculties back. His skills and abilities and trusting them I think more than anything.”

Childress isn’t putting any certain game on when he thinks James should return. “I don’t have a time I’m shopping specifically,” Childress said. “I tell those guys all the time that I’m from Missouri, you’ve got to show me. It’s on tape. All I’m doing is looking at the tape.”

Childress made it clear when it comes to Taylor that he will not take any risks. “I don’t think you can put a guy at that high-impact position that can’t weather the storm. We would do ourselves a disservice, for instance, if he got in and carried the ball for two plays and all of a sudden he’s sitting on the sideline and somebody else wasn’t up. Now I’m short all the way around the block. It’s really important that between the doctors and Chester and myself that he is honest and accurate.”

Just to remind everyone: Taylor’s injury is listed as a hip problem on the official report but was described as a bruised oblique early in the week.

Here’s the Vikings’ injury report for today: S Mike Doss (calf) limited participation; FB Tony Richardson (arm) limited; RB Chester Taylor (hip) limited; FB Naufahu Tahi (ankle) limited; LB Vinny Ciurciu (hand) full participation; WR Robert Ferguson (ankle) full; DE Erasmus James, did not participate, team decision.

Lions: RB T.J. Duckett (ankle) did not participate; RB Kevin Jones (foot) limited; QB Dan Orlovsky (toe) limited; LB Anthony Cannon (quadriceps) did not participate.

I am a Petersen owner and want him to be a stud just as much as the next guy, but I want Chester on the field to some extent.

My hope is that Childress doesn't push the rookie too hard at the start of the season and it sounds like he doesn't want that to happen. With the defense the Vikes have, the invested oline, and the excellent running game, if Tavaris can just manage the game effectively the Vikes could be playoff contenders. So let's keep him fresh.

For fantasy purposes, an RB2 with upside every game.

Wow. And I'm not even a Vikings fan.

I am a Petersen owner and want him to be a stud just as much as the next guy, but I want Chester on the field to some extent.

+1

While I believe Childress obviously knows what he has in AD, I also think he doesn't want to put too much pressure on him too early.

Childress would be absolutely correct if he said that AD is capable of carrying them to a playoff berth but that would put a lot of pressure for a rookie RB.

I think AD is very capable and willing to take on that role but it would only help his confidence even more if he's eased into the franchise RB role.

Mix it up, keep both RBs fresh, and let AD loose for the stretch run of the season IMO.

Two updates from noon and 2pm today:

James back; Taylor watches

September 14th, 2007 – 12:12 PM by Judd Zulgad

Just returned from the portion of practice the media is allowed to watch. Defensive end Erasmus James (knee), who was held out of Thursday’s practice and probably won’t play Sunday, was back on the field. Running back Chester Taylor (hip), meanwhile, just watched so the guess here is the Vikings aren’t going to take any chances with him Sunday.

We’ll get the official injury report later today as well as an update from Brad Childress.

One player who almost certainly will play Sunday is receiver Robert Ferguson. Held out of the opener because of an ankle injury, Ferguson has gone full speed all week and should be ready to make his regular-season debut with the Vikings.

Taylor update

September 14th, 2007 – 2:07 PM by Judd Zulgad

Running back Chester Taylor (hip) is expected to be a game-day decision Sunday at Detroit. “He’s done everything he can to put himself in a position,” to play, coach Brad Childress said. “We’ll see. We’ll leave it up to him.”

Childress said the plan is to have Taylor do some on-field work early Sunday at Ford Field to get an idea of how he’s doing. Taylor is listed as questionable on today’s injury report.

Defensive end Erasmus James, meanwhile, admitted he’s “a little off” the timetable he was hoping to be on in terms of his knee injury. James did not play last Sunday against Atlanta and likely will sit out again at Detroit. “I thought I’d be back in there but obviously things don’t always go your way,” he said.

Asked about when he might return to play in a game, James said: “However, they feel I’m coming during practice, I think that’s the best path to take. That’s all I can take.”

James, who injured his knee in the second game of last season, returned to practice Friday after sitting out Thursday.

Here’s the injury report:

Vikings: S Mike Doss (calf, questionable), limited participation in Friday’s practice; FB Tony Richardson (forearm, questionable), limited participation; RB Chester Taylor (hip, questionable), limited participation; FB Naufahu Tahi (ankle, probable), full participation; LB Vinny Ciurciu (hand, probable), full participation; WR Robert Ferguson (ankle, probable), full participation.

Detroit: RB T.J. Duckett (ankle, out), did not participate; RB Kevin Jones (foot, doubtful), limited participation; QB Dan Orlovsky (toe, questionable), limited participation; LB Anthony Cannon (quadriceps, questionable) did not participate

Hopefully they'll activate Memo this week to back up AD.

Memo's very capable in a limited role. Surprised he didn't get dealt this preseason personally. (He's an upgrade over quite a few current NFL backups at RB). He might even be a sneaky play in PPR leagues this week.

Edited by cory_n_az