[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Heads up to any Jaguar fans

Sleeping King

If you do not have NFL Ticket and live in the Jacksonville area you might want to take a trip this Sunday.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10349812

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jacksonville Jaguars didn't even bother requesting a deadline extension for this one.

The Jaguars announced Thursday that their game against Atlanta on Sunday will be blacked out, the first for the franchise since it covered up nearly 10,000 seats to lower Jacksonville Municipal Stadium's capacity to 67,164.

The Jags faced a similar situation last week before the opener against Tennessee, but they received a ticket sales extension from the NFL and sold about 1,500 tickets in two days to have the blackout lifted.

There were about 4,000 tickets remaining Thursday, so there was little need to request an extension.

The game will not be televised in Jacksonville and secondary markets that include Orlando, Gainesville, Daytona Beach and Savannah, Ga.

It marks Jacksonville's first blackout since 2004. The Jaguars blacked out 12 of 16 home games in 2003 and 2004 before covering up seats to reduce stadium capacity and lower ticket sales requirements.

Most of them probably realized they waived their only shot at the playoffs before the season began.

seriously dude, you are nuts if you think Byron Leftwich is any good. Check out a Jag message board, they all hate him and call him "The Statue". He has an over-exaggerated delivery that he is unwilling to change that gives defenders extra time to know a pass is coming. He is injured all the time. He drops the ball too low in his ridiculous wind-up resulting in fumbles. He rockets every pass as hard as he can throw. He is not good. The fact that NO TEAM has signed him might tell you something. Sheesh. He sucks.

seriously dude, you are nuts if you think Byron Leftwich is any good. Check out a Jag message board, they all hate him and call him "The Statue". He has an over-exaggerated delivery that he is unwilling to change that gives defenders extra time to know a pass is coming. He is injured all the time. He drops the ball too low in his ridiculous wind-up resulting in fumbles. He rockets every pass as hard as he can throw. He is not good. The fact that NO TEAM has signed him might tell you something. Sheesh. He sucks.

I'd take Byron over quite a # of starting QB's. I really don't care what a group of message board posters think. The backup QB is always the most popular guy in town. Well, now they got their wish. Wait, they had it last year and Garrard failed then too. Most QB's are "Statues". I'll go based on what I see. Injury prone? Obviously. Upgrade over a # of current NFL starters? No doubt.

No team has signed him because 1) Now is not the time to bring in a guy to completely new system and have any design to play him this year; 2) He's going to want David Carr-like money at a minimum (And he is superior to Carr) and no one is going to pay him that because he's going to sit the bench all year. Del Rio screwed him over and everyone knows that.

David Garrard is a worse NFL QB than Byron Leftwich. They made the wrong decision there and that's fine. If they want to go 5-11, 6-10, by all means. Hope Del Rio enjoyed the experience.

Edited by cory_n_az

Byron Leftwich is David Carr. He is a back-up quarterback at best. Even quarterback weak teams haven't brought him in. Of course he couldn't start for them this year. But if they viewed him as a viable NFL starter, they could definitely bring him in to learn the system as a back-up this year. Even Baltimore who has an aging Steve McNair at quarterback, and a no-talent like Boller backing him up, haven't offered him a contract.

The Falcons are starting Joey Harrington at quarterback, and have no idea how long Vick is gone. No offer.

The Dolphins have Trent Green. Nope, they haven't called.

Byron never made Jacksonville any better, and everyone knows it. Take a peak at Spots Illustrated's NFL Preview issue. My favorite part of that issue is when opposing scouts give their take on a team. I quote:

"If they had a good quarterback, this would be a great team. Byron Leftwich is big, but he can't move. He's got a strong arm, but he's not accurate. I'm not sure everybody in that organization like him . . . all that talent on defense and a fringe quarterback - it's a shame."

Edited by CaptainHook

Byron Leftwich is David Carr. He is a back-up quarterback at best. Even quarterback weak teams haven't brought him in. Of course he couldn't start for them this year. But if they viewed him as a viable NFL starter, they could definitely bring him in to learn the system as a back-up this year. Even Baltimore who has an aging Steve McNair at quarterback, and a no-talent like Boller backing him up, haven't offered him a contract.

The Falcons are starting Joey Harrington at quarterback, and have no idea how long Vick is gone. No offer.

The Dolphins have Trent Green. Nope, they haven't called.

Byron never made Jacksonville any better, and everyone knows it. Take a peak at Spots Illustrated's NFL Preview issue. My favorite part of that issue is when opposing scouts give their take on a team. I quote:

"If they had a good quarterback, this would be a great team. Byron Leftwich is big, but he can't move. He's got a strong arm, but he's not accurate. I'm not sure everybody in that organization like him . . . all that talent on defense and a fringe quarterback - it's a shame."

I believe Leftwich is superior to the modern day McNair. I like Boller personally (and think if plays like he did last year in relief of Mcnair this Sunday as he's slated to start, there's going to be a QB controversy there). I'm not ready to bury Boller on how he performed as a 22-24 year old with subpar receiving weapons.

Harrington: they spent all post-Vick getting Joey ready. No sense in bringing Leftwich to bring about a QB controversy for a team that's now surrounded by it. With or without Leftwich....a terrible team. I see them drafting Louisville's Brian Brohm (coached by Petrino) in 2008.

Trent: He's Cam's guy. System QB. Thought it was a bad signing on a declining veteran, but he's a bridge to Beck there.

JMO But I think Byron might be waiting for a big injury to occur. Perhaps teams won't sign not wanting their current QB looking over their shoulder all year. For me, It's going to be interesting to see where he ends up.

One of the more interesting scenarios (among many) is my Bears (with Grossman being a pending FA). Grossman may want to head back to Sunshine State. None of the 3 Florida franchises have a firm QB's of the future in the fold (Garrard, Garcia, Green/Beck)

If Byron was the problem (and under no circumstances do I think he was), let's see one of the great 1st round WR's step up.

I'll stand by that I believe Leftwich is one of the 20 best QB's in football. Do I feel he's an All Pro? Of course not. However, I do feel Del Rio and the WR's were/are bigger issues in Jacksonville.

Well, 32 General Managers around the league disagree with you. A top 20 player at ANY position, would be on an NFL roster. Not sitting at home.

I don't think that's the case at all. No team is going to change what they've worked on for months and months to bring in Leftwich and watch their starter to look over their shoulder all year. And it's safe to say that Leftwich wants to be a starter somewhere (and right now, that's not feasible)

I'm sure Leftwich wants $3+ miilion/year and no one team wants to spend that on a guy with zero experience in there system....and they have larger fish to fry given the season has started.

He's been a FA all of 2 weeks now. Timing was terrible for both the Jags and Leftwich. Teams are preparing for the season.....not looking for distractions. He'll land on his feet, probably with an incentive laden deal after this season or in-season injury replacement (less likely, but possible).

He's probably looking in the neighborhood of Culpepper/Boller/Carr money with a solid opportunity to start somewhere.

The Jaguars fan base is almost as pathetic as their team. Almost.

That's where I'll differ with you. I think my distaste for the "Shack" Harris/Jack Del Rio era Jaguars has been pretty well documented at this point, but as far as the fan base goes, this town has done a fantastic job of suporting this team given the size (or lack thereof) of the market and the quality (or lack thereof) of the product.

Well, 32 General Managers around the league disagree with you. A top 20 player at ANY position, would be on an NFL roster. Not sitting at home.

Now this you won't get any argument from me on. I've been saying for over two years now that once the Jaguars gave up on Leftwich, he would spend the rest of his career in the NFL carrying a clipboard. Of course he's going to have to swallow his pride first.

I don't think that's the case at all. No team is going to change what they've worked on for months and months to bring in Leftwich and watch their starter to look over their shoulder all year. And it's safe to say that Leftwich wants to be a starter somewhere (and right now, that's not feasible)

I'm sure Leftwich wants $3+ miilion/year and no one team wants to spend that on a guy with zero experience in there system....and they have larger fish to fry given the season has started.

He's been a FA all of 2 weeks now. Timing was terrible for both the Jags and Leftwich. Teams are preparing for the season.....not looking for distractions. He'll land on his feet, probably with an incentive laden deal after this season or in-season injury replacement (less likely, but possible).

He's probably looking in the neighborhood of Culpepper/Boller/Carr money with a solid opportunity to start somewhere.

No team would bring in a "top 20 quarterback"? You are delusional. I've watched Leftwich for years. He's not an NFL caliber starter.

You're reasoning is way off. Is Beck a top-20 quarterback in Miami? No. So if this supposed "top 20" QB is availbable, the Dolphins would be fools to say, "well, we've already drafted Beck, no sense having a QB we know is one of the best in the league come in through free agency".

You are dead wrong about Leftwich, and I would be willing to make a wager on it. Now I just need to figure out how to word it so we have something to bet on . . . suggestions?

That's where I'll differ with you. I think my distaste for the "Shack" Harris/Jack Del Rio era Jaguars has been pretty well documented at this point, but as far as the fan base goes, this town has done a fantastic job of suporting this team given the size (or lack thereof) of the market and the quality (or lack thereof) of the product.

Sorry, was just trying to get under H8Tank's skin. I'm sure there are Jags fans out there. But let's face it, the Jags have struggled with filling that stadium, even having to cover 10,000 seats and now there are black-outs again?. I know the Gators are close by, but they do play in Gainesville, right? So it's a one-sport town, and they can't sell out 8 games a year?

Even Joey got a job, much to my surprise. Leftwich doesn't deserve one, not as a starter. Far as your ideas on teams not doing anything once the season starts, seems to me Seattle just traded for someone, and his name wasn't Leftwich. Are you related or just think he's great for no reason?

I'd take Byron over quite a # of starting QB's.

Then why is he still a free agent?

You may not care what people on the boards think, but what about the 31 other G.M.'s that haven't signed him, and the 1 team that cut him?

Sounds like 32 teams agree with the majority of us on the boards.

:D

Then why is he still a free agent?

You may not care what people on the boards think, but what about the 31 other G.M.'s that haven't signed him, and the 1 team that cut him?

Sounds like 32 teams agree with the majority of us on the boards.

:D

You just start crap every where on this board...dont you ?

Sorry, friend. Leftwich was never there, and I'm surprised del RIo took this long to realize it. But, I guess I shouldn't be; this is the same coach that starts Fred Taylor over MJD, and abandons the running game when it's the only legitimate offensive weapon they have.

If del Rio loses his job at the end of the season, THAT will be the next best chance for the Jags to make the playoffs next year.