[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

NEW RB in GREEN BAY

Jumpin Johnies

New RB in Green Bay?

Packers RB coach Edgar Bennett said RB Ryan Grant, acquired recently from NYG for a 6th-rounder, reminds him of another ex-Packers great. "Dorsey Levens," Bennett said. "The only thing is that Dorsey was fuller in his pads; he was a bigger guy. He was about 230. Ryan is about 220, 218. But as far as style, you see it. I like his running style. He's a slasher, he has good body lean, he has power and he has burst." The Journal Sentinel adds: "This week he is receiving some repetitions with the No. 1 offense and it wouldn't be surprising to see him move ahead of [brandon] Jackson or [DeShawn] Wynn on the depth chart as the season goes along." We don't know what to make of this sudden Grant rant, but we do know one thing: The Packers are looking for someone, anyone, to give them a spark on the ground. They didn't get one from Brandon Jackson last week.

This is from Draftsharks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sheesh, will the powers that be PLEASE move the new topic button away from the add reply button? can't tell you how many times I've clicked that damn thing. Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if he did get some work after they sit the slow to the hole Jackson

sheesh, will the powers that be PLEASE move the new topic button away from the add reply button? can't tell you how many times I've clicked that damn thing. Anyways, it wouldn't surprise me if he did get some work after they sit the slow to the hole Jackson

I jwas bummed that Jackson got taken right before me in my local league. I'm kind of relieved now.

:D

Yah people! Loaf is way too damn busy to be reading buttons and watching where he clicks. Hack the board software, and CSS that button AT LEAST 2 inches away. Why the hell hasn't this been done before? Loaf, on behalf of everyone invovled, I apologize to you and yours.

well Mike Garafolo said the the Giants players were really shocked he got traded and they expect him to be a good NFL rb...but that was in a comment in responce to another comment in his blog...but i cant find it, nor do i feel like looking for it any longer so take it for what its worth.

sounds like maybe it's motivation for Jackson?

I highly doubt it. The Packers brass hasn't been happy with the running backs since training camp opened up. Vernand Morencey wasn't the answer, so they drafted Brandon Jackson... We haven't seen enough out of him either way to know for sure, but I haven't seen anything that makes me believe he's the guy either. I think Grant has a real shot at taking over if he can just do something with it.

Grant has had a hamstring issue but has been practicing a little. I doubt if he'll play anytime soon, but could be another Gado.

From Rotoworld

Packers RB Ryan Grant was not listed on the Packers' Week 2 injury report.

Grant's primary contribution going forward will likely be as a gunner.

Edited by Randall

From PFW:

Sept. 7, 2007

Packers add newcomer Grant to muddled RB corps

If you think RB Ryan Grant, who was acquired in a trade with the Giants last weekend, is being viewed strictly as a “stopgap” acquisition by the Packers, think again. Considering the continued mediocrity in the team’s RB corps fueled by a rash of injuries that seemingly has no end in sight, any back with the least bit of potential is fair game at the moment. And that certainly appears to be the case with Grant, a 6-1, 224-pound “stallion,” in the words of one impressed team source. Grant, who was beaten out at Notre Dame for a starting job by the Cowboys’ Julius Jones, actually has a lot going for him, including the 4.3 40-time and the 29 Wonderlic test score he registered at the NFL Scouting Combine. But immediately after starting to practice with the team over the weekend, Grant pulled a hamstring last Monday, which figures to keep him out of the mix until at least Week Two.

From PFW:

Where the hell does PFW gets its info? That's not the same as the info I've found about Grant:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=655720

"Grant ran 40 yards in an eye-catching 4.43 seconds at the '05 NFL combine, had a 33 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-7 broad jump, bench-pressed 225 pounds 17 times and scored 29 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

"He definitely doesn't play like a 4.43," one scout said. "Maybe I'm missing something, but everything I saw of him was just OK. Quick enough, but not overly quick. Fast enough, but not exciting fast. He can drop his shoulder and get another yard or two, but he's not going to run anybody over."

There's a bit of a difference between a 4.3 and a 4.43.

I think Wynn has to be the favorite at this point to do something. Some guy in my league just waived him too and my division rival beat me to him by about a half hour. :D

Edited by Crazysight

I think Wynn has to be the favorite at this point to do something. Some guy in my league just waived him too and my division rival beat me to him by about a half hour. :D

Have you seen him play? He was a last round draft pick for a reason. Although he does have speed and some power he doesn't seem to have a good work ethic. I was positive about him at first, but that didn't last too long.

He hasn't played well, balls bounce off his hands, he misses blocks and really doesn't look very good. He may beat out Grant for the #3 RB, but I'm not sure what he can do unless he improves. But then none of the Packer RB's look too good right now.

He is a rookie so that could change.

Where the hell does PFW gets its info? That's not the same as the info I've found about Grant:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=655720

"Grant ran 40 yards in an eye-catching 4.43 seconds at the '05 NFL combine, had a 33 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-7 broad jump, bench-pressed 225 pounds 17 times and scored 29 on the Wonderlic intelligence test.

"He definitely doesn't play like a 4.43," one scout said. "Maybe I'm missing something, but everything I saw of him was just OK. Quick enough, but not overly quick. Fast enough, but not exciting fast. He can drop his shoulder and get another yard or two, but he's not going to run anybody over."

There's a bit of a difference between a 4.3 and a 4.43.

When it comes to scouting -- and even 40 times at the combine -- plenty is subjective. If a scout timed Grant at, say, 4.38 or something, you could technically say that he ran a "4.3," since it refers to anything between 4.3 and 4.4. Regardless, PFW is a credible source for anything NFL. Scouts may disagree on Grant, that's not really surprising since he was just traded from one team to another.

And I also believe, at this point, Wynn is slightly closer than Grant to the starting job. But they're both sleeper RBs in deeper leagues.

When it comes to scouting -- and even 40 times at the combine -- plenty is subjective. If a scout timed Grant at, say, 4.38 or something, you could technically say that he ran a "4.3," since it refers to anything between 4.3 and 4.4. Regardless, PFW is a credible source for anything NFL. Scouts may disagree on Grant, that's not really surprising since he was just traded from one team to another.

And I also believe, at this point, Wynn is slightly closer than Grant to the starting job. But they're both sleeper RBs in deeper leagues.

I feel pretty sure that the 4.3 previously posted was nothing more than a good old fashioned typo, as his actual recorded speed was a 4.43 (which isn't bad but isn't any better than Wynn's either).

Edited by Crazysight

Nice info but the Green Bay RB situation has too many variables to me. No one guy seems to be able to distance themselves from the others. Hence, a RBBC situation appears likely with maybe three different guys getting touches if Grant proves his worth. Certainly a situation to keep an eye on though if Grant becomes "the guy".

I picked up Kenton Keith instead. He is closer to starting than Wynn or Grant.

I picked up Kenton Keith instead. He is closer to starting than Wynn or Grant.

I disagree. With Keith (never trust a man with 2 first names) you are banking on an Addai injury to push him into starting.

With either Wynn or Grant you are looking at 2 guys that may have the chance to emerge simply based on their talent, or lack of it from the guys above them on the depth chart. Either Wynn or Grant is a crapshoot, and neither is getting much if any roster attention in even deep fantasy leagues. I like either of those guys chances of doing something meaningful this season better that K.K.

Edited by rattsass

I disagree. With Keith (never trust a man with 2 first names) you are banking on an Addai injury to push him into starting.

With either Wynn or Grant you are looking at 2 guys that may have the chance to emerge simply based on their talent, or lack of it from the guys above them on the depth chart. Either Wynn or Grant is a crapshoot, and neither is getting much if any roster attention in even deep fantasy leagues. I like either of those guys chances of doing something meaningful this season better that K.K.

All of these guys are long shots. I don't want Addai injured but he hasn't been the main RB on his team in college or the pros so you never know.

In addition Keith may be used as Rhodes was last season to safeguard Addai.

Wynn hasn't played like he has talent or wants to work hard enough to succeed. Grant could be another Gado, but is 4th on the depth chart to Keith's 2.

I doubt if any of them will amount to much though. Keith is my 18th player so not much is expected of him.

You are right they are all crapshots. Better than an extra kicker.

You are right they are all crapshots. Better than an extra kicker.

Truer words have never been spoken. :D

• 1 month later...