[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots ordered to turn over all video

Randall

By Chris Mortensen

ESPN.com

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has ordered the New England Patriots to turn over all videotape, files and notes relating to all their activity that resulted in the disciplinary action of coach Bill Belichick and the franchise, according to sources familiar with the details of Goodell's private communication with the team, ESPN's Chris Mortensen has learned.

If the Patriots are not compliant, the commissioner is prepared to impose even greater sanctions, the sources said.

Goodell alluded to the league's position when he made his decision public to discipline the Patriots when he stated that the NFL would "review" and "monitor" the team's videotaping procedures, effective immediately. Privately, the commissioner was more specific in his demands and expectations with Patriots owner Robert Kraft when the two men spoke Thursday, sources said.

The action is being taken because Belichick all but conceded to the commissioner that his interpretation of the rules allowed him to use videotape of opposing team hand signals for future games but not on game day, sources said. The commissioner rejected that interpretation and was aware that there had been other incidents involving the Patriots in recent years.

If Goodell discovers that Belichick and the team has copied the files without disclosure to the NFL, the consequences with be significant, sources said.

Chris Mortensen covers the NFL for ESPN.

I don't see how this is going to change anything. All that BB has to do is take any incriminating evidence home with him and store it in his basement.

Yeah, no kidding. If I was the commish I would just show up with a bunch of my goons and demand they turn over the evidence then and now. Why would you trust a known LIAR and CHEATER to turn over everything else?

Edited by tosberg34

I don't see how this is going to change anything. All that BB has to do is take any incriminating evidence home with him and store it in his basement.

NFL teams have million dollar digital video systems where you catalog and call up any piece of video you want. I don't think there are a lot of tapes lying around once they get digitized.

If they delete files and leave evidence of it, they'll be screwed. Who has the craftier IT guy? The league or the team?

NFL teams have million dollar digital video systems where you catalog and call up any piece of video you want. I don't think there are a lot of tapes lying around once they get digitized.

If they delete files and leave evidence of it, they'll be screwed. Who has the craftier IT guy? The league or the team?

Good point.

I don't think that those video systems contain film of the opposing team's defensive coordinator on the sideline. Perhaps I'm giving Belicheat too much credit here, but I think that he'd be intelligent enough to use a personal camcorder that wasn't subject to auditing by the league.

I don't think that those video systems contain film of the opposing team's defensive coordinator on the sideline. Perhaps I'm giving Belicheat too much credit here, but I think that he'd be intelligent enough to use a personal camcorder that wasn't subject to auditing by the league.

:D

Pats HC Belichick To Provide Notes, Tapes

Associated Press, ESPN -

New England Patriots HC Bill Belichick indicated he would comply with the NFL league office's spying investigation by providing any notes or tapes made from video recordings similar to the tape that sparked the investigation.

What about all the other tapes?

Pats HC Belichick To Provide Notes, Tapes

Associated Press, ESPN -

New England Patriots HC Bill Belichick indicated he would comply with the NFL league office's spying investigation by providing any notes or tapes made from video recordings similar to the tape that sparked the investigation.

What about all the other tapes?

I agree this could lead to more sneakiness if Belichick's interpretation of what tapes should be turned over is different from Goodell's. However, there is like 7 years of tapes. Good luck sorting through all of that.

I agree this could lead to more sneakiness if Belichick's interpretation of what tapes should be turned over is different from Goodell's. However, there is like 7 years of tapes. Good luck sorting through all of that.

I'm sure that they can get 7 interns to each go through a year of tape in a couple of days.

I'm sure that they can get 7 interns to each go through a year of tape in a couple of days.

Man I need a job like that. I am just saying I am sure if they turnover everything it will be everything, every spring practice scouting tape so that all the tapes have to be gone through, not just game tapes.