[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

What's happened to Saints?

coachharry

It's called a first place schedule my friends.

That and not having a true #1 wideout.

A first place schedule only involves two games. By finishing first in the NFC west, they have to play the first place finshers in the NFC East and the NFC North. Home against Philly, and at Chicago. Those two games are at the end of the year.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New Orleans has too much talent to wallow like they have the first 2 weeks. But teams are definately taking away the middle stuff from Brees, knowing his arm strength is suspect, and forcing him to check down to backs and receivers, or throw a long duck and hope someone catches it. Also Joe Horn love him or hate him, took the best CB with him, allowing Colston to be what he was. Now teams are putting their #1 on Colston or doubling him, and he can barely get open as it is. Bush needs to be more involved in the passing game.

After two weeks, Colston's stats project to:

112 receptions for 936 yards and 8 TDs

Sounds like he's generally on track for the season I expected for him.

PS - Lee Evans is on pace for 32 receptions for 176 yards and 0 TDs.

I just heard the stat the other day that since 1990 teams that started 0-2 made the playoffs 13% of the time. It's definitely more than 1%. And the Saints are just back to being the Saints.

There is a big difference in "13% of the teams that start the season 0-2 make the playoffs" and "13% of the teams that made the playoffs started the season 0-2". Which is it?

Since Chaz13 went to bed early, I'll try to answer this myself:

Assuming each team is equally likely to win each game, after two weeks, we'd expect to see 1/4 of the teams at 0-2, 1/2 of the teams at 1-1 and 1/4 of the teams at 2-0.

So, since we expect to see 8 teams at 0-2 in a typical season, if "13% of the teams that start the season 0-2 make the playoffs" were true, then one of those teams would be expected to make the playoffs (1/8 = 12.5%).

Next, 12 of 32 teams make the playoffs (37.5% of the league). So, if "13% of the teams that made the playoffs started the season 0-2" were true, then we'd expect 1.5 teams (i.e., three teams over a two year period) to have started the seaons 0-2 and ended up playoff bound.

So, the first scenario ("13% of the teams that start the season 0-2 make the playoffs") is less likely than the second scenario ("13% of the teams that made the playoffs started the season 0-2").

...still not sure which one is right, but my money is on the first scenario...

What I mean is, things aren't likely to get much better...

Yea....The Saints have hit their peak this year. :D Nothing more nothing else. :D

I remember you going Jihad against a WR who had 0 points last week but had 7 receptions and 122 yards this week. :wacko:

Edited by bushwacked

poor defense, no true #1 wr...... and the off-season. defensive coordinators have been given some time to learn tendancies... things that worked last year aren't now... i think the saints will adjust and eventually get the offense back on track, just don't know how soon.

Exactly. I figured he was the greatest coach in the history of the NFL after last season. Scheme, draft picks, you name it they were on the mark. Now, they are an average team with a weak arm qb and a terrible defense.

I don't agree with the weak arm schtick. They'll figure out what;s wrong.

A first place schedule only involves two games. By finishing first in the NFC west, they have to play the first place finshers in the NFC East and the NFC North. Home against Philly, and at Chicago. Those two games are at the end of the year.

Plus the 2 firsts in the other 2 divisions in their rotation this year (at Indy and at Seattle).

With the 2002 realignment, all teams play a #1 four times, a #2 four times, a #3 three times and a #4 four times, which includes divisional games - so those 2 above mentioned games are included to get this balance.

Plus the 2 firsts in the other 2 divisions in their rotation this year (at Indy and at Seattle).

With the 2002 realignment, all teams play a #1 four times, a #2 four times, a #3 three times and a #4 four times, which includes divisional games - so those 2 above mentioned games are included to get this balance.

ah, but they would have to play Indy and Seattle no matter what. Everyone else in the NFC South (oops!) has to play them too. So having a first place schedule doesn't effect that.

C'mon folks it has nothing to do with schedule. We just plain Suck at the moment. Can't tackle, block, hold on to the ball, cover aging WR's. Maybe last year went to their heads. whatever they are just plain stinking up the place. Will they get it together? Who knows, but we get to see what kind of coach Payton is now and see what kind of team leaders we have now. All oppenents have to do is play a cover 2 Def. It is very frustrating at the moment is all I can say as a homer.

I think we've been sold a bill of goods as far as NO being an O powerhouse. Their passing game looks awful, and it also looks like other teams have the book on Colston. Aside from him, there's not much "there" there, except for Bush on swings & screens.

One bad game & this is what you've decided? Your insight into the Saints offense is about as accurate as the RB projections you're so famous for. This wouldn't irritate me as much, but some people here usually respect your opinion. To be honest I can't believe you could be so short-sighted. The only thing I can think of is you're trying to give out mis-information...I really hope that is not the case.

Now we're up to 2 bad games & 0 good games...

Edited by Bronco Billy

All oppenents have to do is play a cover 2 Def. It is very frustrating at the moment is all I can say as a homer.

This is the most glaring thing I have noticed. Payton has not figured out how to take what is there against this scheme.

This Saints team looks as bad as they possibly could after 2 games and needs to get it together quick or else it will be a very long season!

I don't agree with the weak arm schtick. They'll figure out what;s wrong.

This and the strong schedule are pretty much the only two things I disagree with in this thread. Brees had no trouble getting the ball deep down field last year or this year in preseason. He hasn't been able to do it this year because the defense is taking it away by playing deep. As for the schedule, sure Indy is one of the best teams around right now, but you can't blame a loss to Tampa Bay on the schedule.

C'mon folks it has nothing to do with schedule. We just plain Suck at the moment. Can't tackle, block, hold on to the ball, cover aging WR's. Maybe last year went to their heads. whatever they are just plain stinking up the place. Will they get it together? Who knows, but we get to see what kind of coach Payton is now and see what kind of team leaders we have now. All opponents have to do is play a cover 2 Def. It is very frustrating at the moment is all I can say as a homer.

Sums it up pretty well. :D

Now we're up to 2 bad games & 0 good games...
How convenient for you. :D I still stand by what I said, you may end up right in the long run but to make that call after one game against one of the best teams in the league was a load of BS. You can hold it over my head all season long (lets hope we don't suck that long) but it was still a ridiculously premature statement to make at the time. Edited by rajncajn

How convenient for you. :D I still stand by what I said, you may end up right in the long run but to make that call after one game against one of the best teams in the league was a load of BS. You can hold it over my head all season long (lets hope we don't suck that long) but it was still a ridiculously premature statement to make at the time.

You can make all the disclaimers that you want. It isn't BS to recognize significant problems that a supposedly powerful team is having. It's one thing to take a beat down & play badly. It's another thing entirely to be completely incompetent one season after being one of the most powerful Os in the NFL. That level of poor play can't just be foisted off. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so badly, but it's starting to become obvious that NO has some serious issues. They may recover, but right now they are exactly what they are - whether it makes you want to lash out at anyone who points out the obvious to you or not.

You can make all the disclaimers that you want. It isn't BS to recognize significant problems that a supposedly powerful team is having. It's one thing to take a beat down & play badly. It's another thing entirely to be completely incompetent one season after being one of the most powerful Os in the NFL. That level of poor play can't just be foisted off. I'm sorry I hurt your feelings so badly, but it's starting to become obvious that NO has some serious issues. They may recover, but right now they are exactly what they are - whether it makes you want to lash out at anyone who points out the obvious to you or not.
I'm not lashing out at you or anyone else & if you think you hurt my feelings you are sorely mistaken. I just completely disagreed with your labeling the Saints O a bust after just one game.

I won't try to pretend that they didn't look horrible and I can't say that I don't still have my homer glasses on. But speaking from strictly a fantasy football standpoint your assessment was very premature. You said that we were "sold a bill of goods" and that there is "not much there except for Bush..." If you had said that anytime before last weeks game you would have been laughed off the boards. The Saints still have a lot there, but they are obviously not in synch. Maybe it's because of the play calling, maybe it's because they don't have an answer for the cover 2, maybe it's because the D still sucks...but I can say without a doubt it it is not because of a lack of talent at any position of offense which is what you were eluding to.

0-2 is alarming an a tough hole to dig out of but not impossible. The NFC South is also a weak division so the Saints can turn things around and still win the division. From a fantasy perspective, their offense is toubling especially since I drafted Bush this year but you have to stick to your horses. Seriously, does anybody crush every Sunday? The Saint O will figure it out and make adjustments. The same players that are cold now will be on fire later on in the year. And the guys on fire now will cool off later in the year. It's a long season boys so hang in there.

Also keep in mind the Saints haven't yet played a home game. A little home cooking could easily turn the season around. It should be a fun one against the Titans next Monday.

0-2 is alarming an a tough hole to dig out of but not impossible. The NFC South is also a weak division so the Saints can turn things around and still win the division. From a fantasy perspective, their offense is toubling especially since I drafted Bush this year but you have to stick to your horses. Seriously, does anybody crush every Sunday? The Saint O will figure it out and make adjustments. The same players that are cold now will be on fire later on in the year. And the guys on fire now will cool off later in the year. It's a long season boys so hang in there.

Also keep in mind the Saints haven't yet played a home game. A little home cooking could easily turn the season around. It should be a fun one against the Titans next Monday.

Early over/under line 45 1/2 so it looks like Vegas thinks the Saints O might be able to put together something next week.

This and the strong schedule are pretty much the only two things I disagree with in this thread. Brees had no trouble getting the ball deep down field last year or this year in preseason. He hasn't been able to do it this year because the defense is taking it away by playing deep.

I also disagree with the "Brees has a weak arm" argument. Drew has always had a rather average arm (by NFL standards), but he was sure able to get the ball deep last season... right after surgery and his supposed failing of Miami's physical.