[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When to Quit Playing FF?

Rovers

If there is a line up decision, I'll make the wrong one. Went with Alex Smith in 3 leagues, putting Hass on the bench in two, and Roths in the other one. I figure, Rams lousy D, down two starting CB's. If I can't start Smith yesterday, I can never start him. Wrong again, Bonzo. My brilliant move for the week was starting Benson over LJ. That got me all of another 1.2 points in my local. Speaking of which, A Smith, A Peterson, Benson, , Coles, B Marshall, Roy Williams, Vernon Davis.... had a grand total of ONE TD in week 2. Gee, I can't wait until K Jones can play and screw me too. I am now 2-0, 1-1, 0-2, 0-2 and 0-2 in my leagues so far. The 2-0 team? Went up against the lowest point totals two weeks in a row.

Am I (we) just a bunch of masochists? I should have known some QB named Anderson (in this decade) would score like 50 freakin points against Cincy. Heck, even when I get something right, like N.O. having a letdown year.... I still keep losing. Yeah, I should have drafted Braylon freakin Edwards. Should have known Vernon Davis would suck a root. Should have taken Addai over LJ at 1.3. (Actually, I knew I screwed that one up right away). With Boldin and Fitz, surely I knew Lienart would be bench material. Should have drafted Schaub instead. My SJax pick has worked out great so far too. I really suck at this hobby. I think I'll quit after next year.... after I draft P Manning at 1.1 and he finally gets hurt. Anyone with me?

:wacko::wacko::D:D

FF is more luck then anything. You are just running into a strech of bad luck right now. My first year was horrible. Then I joined the huddle and won a bunch of championships. Now I am back to being average. See my sig. I think it is dead on.

Edited by ebartender

If there is a line up decision, I'll make the wrong one. Went with Alex Smith in 3 leagues, putting Hass on the bench in two, and Roths in the other one. I figure, Rams lousy D, down two starting CB's. If I can't start Smith yesterday, I can never start him. Wrong again, Bonzo. My brilliant move for the week was starting Benson over LJ. That got me all of another 1.2 points in my local. Speaking of which, A Smith, A Peterson, Benson, , Coles, B Marshall, Roy Williams, Vernon Davis.... had a grand total of ONE TD in week 2. Gee, I can't wait until K Jones can play and screw me too. I am now 2-0, 1-1, 0-2, 0-2 and 0-2 in my leagues so far. The 2-0 team? Went up against the lowest point totals two weeks in a row.

Am I (we) just a bunch of masochists? I should have known some QB named Anderson (in this decade) would score like 50 freakin points against Cincy. Heck, even when I get something right, like N.O. having a letdown year.... I still keep losing. Yeah, I should have drafted Braylon freakin Edwards. Should have known Vernon Davis would suck a root. Should have taken Addai over LJ at 1.3. (Actually, I knew I screwed that one up right away). With Boldin and Fitz, surely I knew Lienart would be bench material. Should have drafted Schaub instead. My SJax pick has worked out great so far too. I really suck at this hobby. I think I'll quit after next year.... after I draft P Manning at 1.1 and he finally gets hurt. Anyone with me?

:wacko::wacko::D:D

It's supposed to be fun. When it ceases to be, stop.

Granted, my sense of humor doesn't always click with some people....

Sounds like you may be pressing, overthinking. Happens to everyone. Take a deep breath, get back to basics, always start your studs, don't panic, and learn from your mistakes next year.

For some God-forsaken reason I thought Reggie Bush was the next Barry Sanders and overdrafted him in both of my money leagues, ask me how that's going? Oh and I traded for Brees too. The Saints are going to the Super Bowl, lock it up. :D

Granted, my sense of humor doesn't always click with some people....

:wacko:

I love when you have two guys who might be say, your #3WR.......neither are good enough for every week starts, so you play the matchup. :D

And get caught in that wrong guy/wrong week, back and forth, pull your hair out :D , lose your match by 1.5 pts, flipflopping,

aggravatingly BAD decision every week. :wacko:

Can't really drop either of them to FA because THE SECOND you do, your divisionmate picks him up and gets a career-making 2nd half of the season out of him to take the division. :wacko:

That's about the time you decide you'd score more points if you'd just pick a name out of a hat. :wacko:

:D

I love when you have two guys who might be say, your #3WR.......neither are good enough for every week starts, so you play the matchup. :D

And get caught in that wrong guy/wrong week, back and forth, pull your hair out :D , lose your match by 1.5 pts, flipflopping,

aggravatingly BAD decision every week. :wacko:

Can't really drop either of them to FA because THE SECOND you do, your divisionmate picks him up and gets a career-making 2nd half of the season out of him to take the division. :wacko:

That's about the time you decide you'd score more points if you'd just pick a name out of a hat. :wacko:

:sick:

Bunz, you are wise. I think you should have seminars or "how not to be stoopid". :brow:

Heck, when I won my local three years ago, I started 0-3. At least I didn't draft Lee Evans this year. That is a sure sign, now that I said something, that he will freakin blow up for the next two weeks.

As far as playing multiple leagues.... I like it. When I had a league or two, I found myself all wrapped up in rooting for players. Being in several leagues, now I just watch football for the pure pleasure of watching it. Yeah, half the time when a plyaer scores, it helps me in one league, hurts me in another. But, watching football is different when playing in a few leagues. The game is good enough on it's own, without the FF aspects. I prefer the multiple league thing.... I can watch Monday night football for the pure pleasure of watching two teams compete, and FF takes a backseat.

I started playing FF back when... I think Steve Deberg was my first pick, and we used the local paper's stats on Monday mornings to figure out who won that week. Other than the Jets, I rooted for players. Now, I watch football the way it should be watched, pulling for teams and players I like, but not because they might be on my roster. Just for the pure joy of watching these world class athletes compete in a great game. Ocho cinco excepted, of course. I love to watch the Drivers, Marvin Harrisons, LT's, and Jerry Rice and Curtis Martin types play.

In case my meaning was'nt clear.... no matter how sucky my FF teams may be (and this is looking like a two year streak already) I'm an addict, and not likely to quit. It's all about the irony..... but MSaint does a much better job of putting that irony into the typed word! Speaking of which.... MSaint, did you fnally get P Holmes THIS year? :wacko::brew:

FWIW, I dropped down to 5 leagues this year (well, 6 now because I've joined Late Bloomers) and I'm having a lot of fun with FF. I vegged out and watched about ten straight hours of football, only occasionally checking Gameday on the laptop. I'm 5-5 on the season so far and that's cool. Like someone else said, it's 99% luck and the other 1% is luck. :D

Oh.....and your sense of humor works just fine. :D

FF is more luck then anything. You are just running into a strech of bad luck right now. My first year was horrible. Then I joined the huddle and won a bunch of championships. Now I am back to being average. See my sig. I think it is dead on.

FF is not more luck than anything. That's why the Huddle is consistent in their winnings.

If i had to put a number to it, i'd say, straight luck is maybe 10-20%. Luck mixed with gut feeling intuition would be 40-50% and the rest is straight up knowledge of the game. Week 1 and 2, no one knows anything. That's the beauty of it. I had a feeling about Jordan and an anti feeling about Benson. I looked at stats and figured all this and that out, but when it comes to stats, you can find as many reasons to start a player as you can to bench him. It boils down to gut feelings, based on your outlook of the game. And your dedication.

Here's a nugget. Favre usually throws for around 3 TDs after his bye week, and if he has his next game after a bye in a dome, he does quite well. How do I Know that? I researched. Then I gut feeling it. Pure luck is nonsense, unless you're in a 32 homers league.

I will admit, that FF is a bit like golf, where as the more you know, the worse you are. When you're a beginner, then it could be beginners luck, but it's probably that everyone else in your league knows too much.

Last year, I told EVERYONE to stay away from SA, and be happy with LT #1 overall if you had the chance. No one listened. I even won a contest here on the Huddle because I picked SA to get barely 12 TDs and crap yards compared to LT. That wasn't luck, it was my take on the game. Not saying I'm a FF genius, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. But it certainly wasn't luck.

FF is more like poker than anything else. You can win, even with a hand you had no business playing.

FF is not more luck than anything. That's why the Huddle is consistent in their winnings.

If i had to put a number to it, i'd say, straight luck is maybe 10-20%. Luck mixed with gut feeling intuition would be 40-50% and the rest is straight up knowledge of the game. Week 1 and 2, no one knows anything. That's the beauty of it. I had a feeling about Jordan and an anti feeling about Benson. I looked at stats and figured all this and that out, but when it comes to stats, you can find as many reasons to start a player as you can to bench him. It boils down to gut feelings, based on your outlook of the game. And your dedication.

Here's a nugget. Favre usually throws for around 3 TDs after his bye week, and if he has his next game after a bye in a dome, he does quite well. How do I Know that? I researched. Then I gut feeling it. Pure luck is nonsense, unless you're in a 32 homers league.

I will admit, that FF is a bit like golf, where as the more you know, the worse you are. When you're a beginner, then it could be beginners luck, but it's probably that everyone else in your league knows too much.

Last year, I told EVERYONE to stay away from SA, and be happy with LT #1 overall if you had the chance. No one listened. I even won a contest here on the Huddle because I picked SA to get barely 12 TDs and crap yards compared to LT. That wasn't luck, it was my take on the game. Not saying I'm a FF genius, because that couldn't be farther from the truth. But it certainly wasn't luck.

FF is more like poker than anything else. You can win, even with a hand you had no business playing.

Well, you got the poker bit right. That is, just like poker, FF has tons of people like you who are very quick to recount their great wins and not so quick to point out their losses.

In short, just like you, each and every one of us here could point to plenty of times they snatched the next stud RB from nowhere or the time they wisely stayed the hell away from a guy who was simply rated too high. Or the time they sat a stud in favor of what they knew to be a great match-up and watched their gamble pay off to the tune of 150 yds and 2 TDs. The difference is, those of us with a bit of perspective can also recall all the times they overspent on some guy who turned out to be a stiff or got totally burned by a decision over whom to bench/start.

I disagree. Even if you only take injuries into consideration that is a hugh part of FF and that is all luck. If Tomlinson blows out his knee next week that will kill almost every team that drafted him. So by drafting Tomlinson and then him getting hurt, would say that the owner made a bad decision or was unlucky? Basically if any team loses it's first or even second round pick to injury it will probably kill their season.

I agree that the more you put into studying and following football you have a better chance then someone who does not put in as much time. There is some skill involved. That would allow you to stay away from injury prone players or player that only had one great year. In your case, you probably noted that Seattle lost a big part of their o-line. That right there would make anyone wary of Alexander. Plus you had to take into account that he had a monster season the year before and he signed a new contract. Not to mention the whole Madden thing. Yes, a lot of signs pointed to Alexander having a down year and you are right that unless you did a little research you wouldn't know all that. But he was on pace to rush for over 1400 yards and 10-11 TDs if he was able to stay healthy. But he got hurt which is where the luck factor comes in.

It's the hunt, not the kill.

The kill (winning a league) is a huge bonus, especially if you play in tough leagues, but the fun of FF is the competition.

If you're tiring of the hunt, perhaps a more pedestrian pursuit is in order? Needlepoint or a bridge club, maybe? If that's too dicey, maybe a tiddleywinks league or paint by numbers?

Edited by Bronco Billy

I am thinking it's time to quit when your starting line-up includes:

McNabb

Ronnie Brown

Maroney

Reggie Brown

Mark Clayton.

I took two years off playing FF, and really enjoyed just being a fan again. I came back this year with a single re-draft league. Apparently, I am not as good at this as I used to think I was. :D

I am thinking it's time to quit when your starting line-up includes:

McNabb

Ronnie Brown

Maroney

Reggie Brown

Mark Clayton.

I took two years off playing FF, and really enjoyed just being a fan again. I came back this year with a single re-draft league. Apparently, I am not as good at this as I used to think I was. :D

That McNabb/Brown combo is killing me in a league as well.

That McNabb/Brown combo is killing me in a league as well.

I think McNabb gets back on track pretty quick, but I am really starting to worry about Brown. He doesn't get any separation and drops too many balls. I drank the magical third year kool-aid.

Curtis and Avant will probably be the ones to get the bulk of the catches, once DMac realizes he has more options than Westbrook, or 30 feet over everyone's head.

FWIW, I dropped down to 5 leagues this year (well, 6 now because I've joined Late Bloomers) and I'm having a lot of fun with FF. I vegged out and watched about ten straight hours of football, only occasionally checking Gameday on the laptop. I'm 5-5 on the season so far and that's cool. Like someone else said, it's 99% luck and the other 1% is luck. :D

Oh.....and your sense of humor works just fine. :D

Every other year I drop down to one league. This is that year.