[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Portis/Betts timeshare

piratesownninjas

The boards had a lot of owners saying that Betts should be drafted ahead of Portis and that it was going to be a 50/50 split. Some also said that Betts would be the redzone guy, which after two weeks appears to be not so.

In week one Portis had 17 carries for 98 yards for an average of 5.8 yards a carry and a touchdown.

Betts in week one had 17 carries for 59 yards for an average of 3.5 yards a carry.

Tonight Portis had 17 carries for 69 yards which comes out to 4.1 yards a carry and another touchdown

Betts went for 6 carries for 14 yards which comes out to 2.3 yards a carry.

Tonight we saw Portis carry the ball 11 more times than Betts. When Portis is in, the skins move the ball. My reason for posting this is to see what your thoughts are on Betts from here on out. I've thought all along that he filled in great last year, but he is what he is, and that is a very nice backup runningback. Portis has looked every bit as good as I thought he would be, and I love Gibbs keeping him just under 20 touches a game, which is right around where he needs to be.

Portis, Clinton WAS RB 34 167 2

Betts, Ladell WAS RB 23 73 0

Portis is the franchise....he will get the carriers....obviously he is the better back and Betts wont get the carries until Portis gets hurt.... hence why once again Gibbs has kept him under 20 carries and I see this remaining the whole season.... Portis the majority of carries but no more than 20 carries... Gibbs said this on ESPN at some point so dont ask me to post a link......someone did when I posted this last time this topic was discussed

If Portis can play 16 games with 17 yards a carry he'll have 272 carries...

With him only running 17 times will keep him fresh, allowing him to have a higher average.

Right now he's on pace for 1330 yards and 16 touchdowns.

Obviously 16 touchdowns is too far away to forecast, but I think Portis will have a few monster rushing games as well.

I think 17 touches a game is perfect for him.

I had assumed the same thing when putting my team together...

I had Betts as a 3rd RB.... but after some thinking and reasoning I dumped him (along with LT and Kennison) for Henry, Parker and Fitz. I suppose the guy I traded toalso thought that Betts stock value was high enough to take the bait.

Im pretty content with my move and I don't see Betts numbers exceeding Ports' (unless of course his annual injury returns)

Obviously being an owner of him I wish he had more....but over his tenor with the Redskins he has proven that he is too brittle to get anymore and can not be a back like Riggins and take 30 carries.... Hence if he gets 17 carries and lasts the season healthy with the way he has started I will be happy taking him in the 5th round

Obviously being an owner of him I wish he had more....but over his tenor with the Redskins he has proven that he is too brittle to get anymore and can not be a back like Riggins and take 30 carries.... Hence if he gets 17 carries and lasts the season healthy with the way he has started I will be happy taking him in the 5th round

Honestly, as long as he's hitting pay dirt I'm happy with 17 touches.

Very few runners have proven they can handle 300+ carries...

As a Betts owner I am not panicking. Portis looks to be the more steady option, but Betts will get his. One way or the other, he will get his.

It's a long season.

portis is still capable of looking pretty dam good. like on that TD run...

betts is just a more pedestrian option. anyone who drafted him ahead of portis is a fool. anyone who drafted him as a handcuff to portis is probably pretty smart.

I didn't see Betts drafted ahead of Portis anywhere. Did you?

I didn't see Betts drafted ahead of Portis anywhere. Did you?

don't believe it happened in any of my leagues, but this thread started out with the sentence "The boards had a lot of owners saying that Betts should be drafted ahead of Portis and that it was going to be a 50/50 split." that's what i was responding to.

Very few runners have proven they can handle 300+ carries...

Clinton Portis

+--------------------------+-------------------------+			 |		  Rushing		 |		Receiving		|+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards	Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2003 den |  13 |   290   1591	5.5   14 |	38	314   8.3	0 || 2004 was |  15 |   343   1315	3.8	5 |	40	235   5.9	2 || 2005 was |  16 |   352   1516	4.3   11 |	30	216   7.2	0 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

Clinton Portis

+--------------------------+-------------------------+			 |		  Rushing		 |		Receiving		|+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| Year  TM |   G |   Att  Yards	Y/A   TD |   Rec  Yards   Y/R   TD |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+| 2003 den |  13 |   290   1591	5.5   14 |	38	314   8.3	0 || 2004 was |  15 |   343   1315	3.8	5 |	40	235   5.9	2 || 2005 was |  16 |   352   1516	4.3   11 |	30	216   7.2	0 |+----------+-----+--------------------------+-------------------------+

... 2004 was a down year with 7 td's on close to 400 carries, 2005 was great, but Portis himself said that load and Gibbs off season had him wore out before the 06 season started.

... 2004 was a down year with 7 td's on close to 400 carries, 2005 was great, but Portis himself said that load and Gibbs off season had him wore out before the 06 season started.

Just pointing out that Portis is one of the very few runners who has proven he can handle 300+ carries / 30+ receptions & then play off carries / recpts too boot. :D

I don't recall anyone advocating drafting Betts before Portis, but my memory might be shaky on that. Perhaps you could provide some examples for me?

I do remember people advocating that Betts would be a better value than Portis, since Portis' ADP was 32 (RB18) while Betts was 96 (RB32), meaning Betts could be had over 5 rounds later in a 12 team league and there was a possibility of significant contribution given Betts' previous production, WAS stating publicly that Betts would get a decent work share, and Portis' injury history. Both have performed roughly at their ADP as to date (Portis at RB13-16 and Betts at RB37-39) depending upon the scoring system. That Betts has scored roughly half of Portis FF points to date so far is about right based upon draft position also.

Portis has 174 yds in 35 touches & 2 TDs, while Betts has 115 yds in 26 touches with 0 TDs. The production split has been pretty much as predicted by many, including myself - Portis getting 60% of the rushes between the two, with Betts getting more work in the passing game (it doesn't surprise me in the least given your position in the opening post that you completely ignore receptions & receiving yardage, since it hurts your argument a bunch), while Portis gets more TDs.

Hard to see where people predicting Betts to cut significantly into Portis' production were wrong to date. Neither guy has risen to being a significant value as yet, and neither is significantly underperforming their ADP either. I do think Portis is currently performing at his ceiling, while Betts has more upside from this point forward, especially if yet another Portis injury arises.

Edited by Bronco Billy

.... Portis the majority of carries but no more than 20 carries... Gibbs said this on ESPN at some point so dont ask me to post a link......someone did when I posted this last time this topic was discussed

That was me & when you explained you'd heard it on ESPN I asked you...

Not disagreeing, just looking for verification. So did you hear Gibbs actually say that in an interview, or did you hear one of ESPN's talking heads saying that Gibbs said that?

...but you never answered. :D

Could you answer this time perhaps?

Someone was defintiely arguing this last off-season the Betts was the better RB because his average yards per carry were better than Portis' etc. IIRC most people disagreed with that opinion.

I used Betts' production as some of the evidence that he'd get significant work this year, though I also included the caveat that I thought Portis was the more gifted runner of the two.

Portis continues to be one of the most underrated RBs in the league, particularly at this site. Betts and Sellars are good change of pace backs but I believe Portis is getting in game shape and will continue to get the majority of the carries and more importantly the goal line carries. There are no indications that there are any health concerns.

There is no valid justification for ranking RBs such as Ronnie Brown, MJ Drew, Brandon Jacobs, Cedric Benson higher than Portis.

Someone was defintiely arguing this last off-season the Betts was the better RB because his average yards per carry were better than Portis' etc. IIRC most people disagreed with that opinion.

:D

From just one of the many Portis/Betts threads... (BB, I'm not calling you out or anything here but just using this as an example of those that seemed to think Betts would perform as well, or better, than Portis even if Portis was healthy. There are others that shared your opinion.)

:D

8-900yds/7-9 TDs doesn't seem so overly optimistic anymore IMO. Yeah Betts catches some passes but Portis' TD production more than compensates for his lack of involvement in the pass game... even in a PPR league.

This guy started a thread asking if his 4th round pick was a wasted pick. It absolutely wasn't. A 2nd round pick for Portis wasn't even a wasted pick.

Edited by kingfish247

This guy started a thread asking if his 4th round pick was a wasted pick. It absolutely wasn't. A 2nd round pick for Portis wasn't even a wasted pick.

That remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Even you based your opinion on Portis playing 10 games. Let's see him maintain this pace & stay healthy for the rest of the year. Then I'll be happy to admit I underestimated him.

We grabbed Portis at 4.5 in WCOFF as our #2RB. At 3.8 T. Jones, R. Brown, and Cedric Benson were available. We had all 3 ranked higher, but took a chance and grabbed the last available Tier 2 WR in Driver as our #2 WR. 2 of the 4 teams behind us already had 3 RBs and we thought there was a good chance Jones, Brown, or Benson would fall back to us. Of course they went in the next three picks and we settled on Portis.

If, Portis stays healthy, this twist of fate may make us a better team anyways. If not, our #3 and #4 RBs are generally performing at the same level as Jones, Brown, and Benson through Week 2.