[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabb says black QB's are criticized more

tonyr0802

Ok, regardless of this point McNabb certainly has the right to not answer a question. He chose to answer and through his answers we can see how he feels on the subject.

Agree with you here, Brown knew that if he pushed him, he would say something stupid and he was right. If you give a guy enough rope . . .

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McNabb has everything going against him this season. You have physical, tangible issues (coming off the knee injury, no good receivers to throw to), and mental distractions (the team drafting Kevin Kolb and cutting Trotter makes it obvious that everyone is expendible and his time is running short). I think McNabb tries to put on a bold front at times, and there have been times when he has looked amazing. But he does lack something, call it heart, or a champion's spirit...the Super Bowl was all the proof we would ever need of that. His implosion last night was not surprising, nor is his frustration which results in him making stupid statements to the media.

I think the Eagles just have crappy ownership and have not put the pieces in place for McNabb to be successful, and also McNabb lacks the qualities to carry the team there himself. I also think he is probably checked out at this point, mentally. He's tired of the idiot fans and all the pressure, he has no faith in management and probably can't wait to be cut in a year or two so he can go someplace else.

You think maybe only black people should be allowed to critisize black QBs? After all, we whities don't know all the anguish over the centuries that McNabb and his race have endured...

I didn't realize McNabb was that old. No wonder the knees are starting to go.

The Eagles weren't big enough for the two egos (him and TO). So much like Kobe running Shaq out of LA, McNabb ran TO out. It was a lot easier for McNabb because of TOs baggage. Maybe the reason the Eagles have needed WRs the entre McNabb era is because none of the good ones want to play with him. He's got a losing record since TO. left.

Just a thought.

Just how did McNabb run TO out of Philly? Was it because McNabb didn't give TO the new contract that he wanted? :D

Don't be dense. Iggles mamagement wasn't going to pay TO what he was worth and you expect us to believe the animosity between he and TO had nothing to do with that?

Holy crap. I'm listening to Steven A. Smith being interviewed right now and the racist crap coming out of his mouth excusing McNabb & Isiah Thomas for their comments is incredulous. How in the hell does he get a pass pushing this kind of blatantly racist crap over the air?

Holy crap. I'm listening to Steven A. Smith being interviewed right now and the racist crap coming out of his mouth excusing McNabb & Isiah Thomas for their comments is incredulous. How in the hell does he get a pass pushing this kind of blatantly racist crap over the air?

If you think that he Steven A. Smith is bad, just wait until you hear the "2 live Stews" (Doug and Ryan Stewart). They started on 790am "The Zone" sports radio in Atlanta. This year they have become syndicated, and play to a more national audience. They are also starting to get some TV air time on ESPN. But, Wow, these guys are bad with the blatant racism!! It's distgusting.....obviously there is an audience out there for this... :D:D but who?

Edited by millerx

Don't be dense. Iggles mamagement wasn't going to pay TO what he was worth and you expect us to believe the animosity between he and TO had nothing to do with that?

And that animosity is due to which player? The franchise QB who had been with them since '98 (and is STILL with them) or the obnoxious loudmouth journeyman WR who threw Jeff Garcia under the bus in SF, refused a trade to BAL, obnoxiously held out for more money in PHI and threw another QB under the bus, and allegedly tried to commit suicide on his third team last year?

I'm not saying that McNabb is infallible, but only a complete idiot would blame him for not being able to get along with TO in Philly. NOBODY can get along with that egotistical jackass.

What a Rosie O'Donnell.

Jesus Christ could play QB in PHI & he'd get raked over the coals regularly by locals.

Overall McNabb pretty much gets a pass nationally despite often mediocre play. As someone previously mentioned, Garcia ran with the same team last year & did a hell of a lot more with it than McNabb did when healthy.

We could put up a huge list of white QBs who have been derided a lot more thah NcNabb has been. He needs to hitch up his big girl panties & get the job done, or find a profession that isn't quite as hard on his delicate ego. Where exactly does he think throwing out the race card while whining is going to get him?

I'm not sure he "gets a pass" nationally....if these boards are any indication, many posters here call him over-rated, or a choke artist (after his "throw-up" incident)...even after leading his team to 4 Conference Championships in his first 7 years, 3 of which were with WRs worse than he has right now. So comments like "hitching up his panties" and "getting the job done" seem like the criticism to which he is referring.

While I'm not quite sure what to make of his statements, I do think this: I doubt he'd have made them if he hadn't been asked...if he had taken the podium after a game and made these same remarks, or made them unsolicited, I'd look at them much differently. Remember, the guy was the target of blatant racism by a national media icon (Limbaugh), so until you or I are ever in those shoes, its hard to ever imagine what effect it may have had on his overall impression. I am sure, in his mind, he wonders why its unfair that guys like Manning, Palmer, and Brady have never had to respond to national racist remarks the way he has.

If you've never been the target of racism, then its very difficult to offer an objective opinion on it, don't you think?

If you've never been the target of racism, then its very difficult to offer an objective opinion on it, don't you think?

I've had a gun stuck in my face while being called a "white m'fer." Don't assume that Joe Average White Guy at The Huddle has never been a target of racism.

Edited by Bill Swerski

I think the Eagles just have crappy ownership and have not put the pieces in place for McNabb to be successful, and also McNabb lacks the qualities to carry the team there himself. I also think he is probably checked out at this point, mentally. He's tired of the idiot fans and all the pressure, he has no faith in management and probably can't wait to be cut in a year or two so he can go someplace else.

This may be the most ludicrous thing I have ever read on these boards, and that says alot. Matt, I am hoping your comment here was taken out of context. Eagles ownership is one of the best in the NFL, bar none....its why the Eagles can attract the most marquee free agents out there....players love it here, ownership is not the issue.

If your comments were related to player-personell decisions (GM, scouting for drafts, etc.), thats a different story. The Luries play no part in this.

I've had a gun stuck in my face while being called a "white m'fer." Don't assume that Joe Average White Guy at The Huddle has never been a target of racism.

Valid point. Racism has many faces. Having adopted a black child into a totally white family, we get it from both sides.

How come this part didn't get bolded in the original post?

"Every year I'm part of some criticism," McNabb says with a chuckle. "But every day that we go through life, you're faced with a lot of adversity. Now the answer is how do you handle the adversity. How do you respond?

:D

I'm not so sure that McNabb was doing anything besides honestly answering questions on how he feels. Was he intentionally going in with a race card agenda? I'm not near as certain as almost everyone else here appears to be.

This is more of a :D to me.

Remember, the guy was the target of blatant racism by a national media icon (Limbaugh), so until you or I are ever in those shoes, its hard to ever imagine what effect it may have had on his overall impression.

Limbaugh never made a racist slur towards McNabb or any other athlete. You'd better review the facts of what happened there before you speak of something about which you obviously know little to nothing about.

Really? Well, I've never been killed, but I'm pretty sure that I know when someone is dead. That type of remark is utter BS and nothing but an excuse to create a victim status and/or perpetuate racism.

May be slightly off topic but why is it that Doug Williams is one of the very few (im not totally sure) if not the only black qb to lead his team to a superbowl ring ? By no means am I insinuating its intelligence..I am just curious to your opinions..Is it the tendancy to run which over the long haul doesnt translate to success ? Over the past at least 10 years there has been a decent amount of black QBs and the number seems to grow each year yet superbowl winning qbs are traditional white drop back passers..(im fully aware Defense , O line running game etc contributes if not is the main reason for many superbowl wins not just the qb) Im not fishing and not looking to willingly dryhump I am just looking for opinions. I dont really have the an answer that I am holding back..Its a general inquiry..

May be slightly off topic but why is it that Doug Williams is one of the very few (im not totally sure) if not the only black qb to lead his team to a superbowl ring ? By no means am I insinuating its intelligence..I am just curious to your opinions..Is it the tendancy to run which over the long haul doesnt translate to success ? Over the past at least 10 years there has been a decent amount of black QBs and the number seems to grow each year yet superbowl winning qbs are traditional white drop back passers..(im fully aware Defense , O line running game etc contributes if not is the main reason for many superbowl wins not just the qb) Im not fishing and not looking to willingly dryhump I am just looking for opinions. I dont really have the an answer that I am holding back..Its a general inquiry..

:D Im not sure what word I used but it wasnt willingly dry hump