[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Patriots' Offense

Easy n Dirty

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But they've been doing it for years! Why hasn't Brady's completion % been near 80% for the duration?

Who knows? Maybe he's just not that smart. Maybe, even with the advantage of having the defensive play call radioed into his helmet at the line of scrimmage, he still can't get it right some of the time. I don't know.

What about the other teams that have been stealing signs (as many football insiders have alluded to) - why aren't they completing 80% of their passes?

What other teams have gotten caught cheating? Did I miss something?

That's kind of stupid. Yes it is

I don't think the Patriots will start holding up signs with the defensive calls on them. You can suggest it to the Patriots if you want, but I doubt they'll listen to some anonymous guy on a fantasy football website message board. I'll call up Bobby K

I just think it's interesting that a team that has been proven to cheat by stealing defensive signals has a quarterback with an 80% completion percentage. It just makes me wonder what the completion percentage would be for other 31 NFL quarterbacks if they didn't have to go through the hassle of actually reading the defense and adjusting to it. I would guess they would be exactly the same since all the teams have some idea of the other teams defensive signals. And besides, what makes you think Brady doesn't have to read the defense anyway? If someone told you the answer to question 6 on the test is "B" you'd still read the question to make sure wouldn't you?

so even after the NFL investigation showed no other evidence of cheating, you still think they are?

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patr..._be_hit_harder/

They had a week to bury the evidence. No cheater worth his salt would have turned over any incriminating evidence given that amount of time. Plus, the league wants to sweep this under the rug, they're not going to go public with any findings.

What other teams have gotten caught cheating? Did I miss something?

Yes - you missed the rest of my post, apparently (unless you actually believe that the only teams that are cheating are the ones who get caught, which I can't believe woul dbe the case). If that maxim holds true, does that mean that all the guys I see going 85 on the highway w/o getting pulled over aren't actually speeding?

The communication between the head coach and the QB cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock. The possibility of deciphering defensive play calls and realying them to the QB in that little time is next to impossible. Just let it go...

+6

They had a week to bury the evidence. No cheater worth his salt would have turned over any incriminating evidence given that amount of time. Plus, the league wants to sweep this under the rug, they're not going to go public with any findings.

what? then why did they go public with any of this to begin with?

anyway, this is a waste of breath/typing - if you're going to assume that the Pats are cheating until proven otherwise, you're going to be assuming they're cheaters until the end of time (considering the fact that it's impossible to prove a negative like that).

The communication between the head coach and the QB cuts off with 15 seconds left on the play clock.

That probably explains why the Patriots have used unapproved radio frequencies during several games. Where there's a will there is a way, and the Patriots have demonstrated the will to cheat. Birds fly, fish swim, cheaters cheat.

Look, you're probably right. I'm sure professional football history is rife with examples of mediocre college quarterbacks who get drafted in the sixth round and suddenly turn into "great" professional quarterbacks on teams that are proven to have been cheating. I'm sure it happens all the time. It's probably just a coincidence. :D

That probably explains why the Patriots have used unapproved radio frequencies during several games.

I was wondering what that was in my headphones this past Sunday while I was at the game?? Listening to the Sox on WEEI and in the middle of Castiglione's call I hear, "switch to the screen, they're coming on the blitz". Now it all makes sense.

Look, you're probably right. I'm sure professional football history is rife with examples of mediocre college quarterbacks who get drafted in the sixth round and suddenly turn into "great" professional quarterbacks on teams that are proven to have been cheating. I'm sure it happens all the time. It's probably just a coincidence. :D

You're acting as if it's impossible for a QB who wasn't drafted in the first round to be successful. Steve Young? Kurt Warner? Joe Montana (not as extreme, but he didn't go until the 3rd round)? They're called diamonds in the rough - it happens.

You're acting as if it's impossible for a QB who wasn't drafted in the first round to be successful. Steve Young? Kurt Warner? Joe Montana (not as extreme, but he didn't go until the 3rd round)? They're called diamonds in the rough - it happens.

True. But those teams didn't cheat.

But they've been doing it for years! Why hasn't Brady's completion % been near 80% for the duration? What about the other teams that have been stealing signs (as many football insiders have alluded to) - why aren't they completing 80% of their passes? I love how people seem to think that because the Pats are the only team that got caught, they must be the only team who's cheating - that's straight up idiocy.

I also love how people seem to think that stealing defensive signals *automatically* means that the sign thiefs are able to put this supposed advantage to use week in and week out and, essentially, know every defensive formation before it materializes in front of them. I heard a nice interview with Urlacher the other morning where he more or less dismissed the whole thing b/c he didn't see any way that knowing another team's signals could provide a big benefit b/c the defensive units themselves don't even get the signals until they see what formation the O puts out there - the thrust was that there's simply not enough time to react.

I think it sounds all well and good in theory that stealing defensive signals is a huge advantage, but I think people just aren't thinking about it from a practical standpoint.

Don't cloud the discussion with logic. :D

True. But those teams didn't get caught cheating.

Please see the above correction (unless you have magic powers that allow you to prove negatives from the past).

I thought I heard the other day that when the 49ers and the Broncos were winning SBs they were way over the Cap.

You can speculate all you want about other teams. If it helps you minimize the fact that your team cheats and that makes you feel better about yourself, go for it.

I'm would never accuse anyone of cheating who hasn't been caught cheating. That's kind of lame. All we know for certain is that the Patriots cheat. Now were left to sit here and wonder how successful the team, and it's individual players, would have been had they not been cheating. Sadly, we'll never know for sure. It's a shame, really. :D