[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Chicago TE? any homers?

Bree22

What are the chances that Olsen gets in the game and how much? I am confused by these 2 player news from the Huddle. He is a 2008 player or is going to start now (this wekend)?

Greg Olsen - TE, Chicago Bears 9/20/2007

Rookie TE Greg Olsen, who has been out of action due to a knee injury suffered in preseason, has practiced this week and is likely to start against Dallas.

Huddle Up: Olsen has been considered by many a strong TE sleeper for this season in fantasy leagues. Look for the talented rookie to make his first start and make a contribution worthy of fantasy consideration in the weeks to come.

Greg Olsen - TE, Chicago Bears 9/14/2007

The rookie looked better in drills on Thursday, according to The Chicago Tribune, but is still unlikely to play against Kansas City.

Huddle Up: Olsen will one day be a strong Fantasy tight end. Unfortunately, that day probably won't arrive until 2008. Don't bother using a roster spot on him.

Edited by Bree22

What are the chances that Olsen gets in the game and how much? I am confused by these 2 player news from the Huddle. He is a 2008 player or is going to start now (this wekend)?

Greg Olsen - TE, Chicago Bears 9/20/2007

Rookie TE Greg Olsen, who has been out of action due to a knee injury suffered in preseason, has practiced this week and is likely to start against Dallas.

Huddle Up: Olsen has been considered by many a strong TE sleeper for this season in fantasy leagues. Look for the talented rookie to make his first start and make a contribution worthy of fantasy consideration in the weeks to come.

Greg Olsen - TE, Chicago Bears 9/14/2007

The rookie looked better in drills on Thursday, according to The Chicago Tribune, but is still unlikely to play against Kansas City.

Huddle Up: Olsen will one day be a strong Fantasy tight end. Unfortunately, that day probably won't arrive until 2008. Don't bother using a roster spot on him.

Who isn't? And Da Bears aren't talkin'. Olsen will play this week. How much, is the question. TEBC??? Possible. They supposedly have "special" plays for Olsen. 2 TE set? I think I've seen that before w/ Clark/Gilmore, but w/ Olsen's speed it could be more potent. The right side has been a disaster this season (TJ's gone and Benson still can't pick up a blitz). I could see a 2 TE set, Clark blocks the right and Olsen slants, quick and done 7 yards+.. But that's JMO.

YES, I used the words "Possible", "supposedly", not to mention my speculation of how. That's the best I can give. No guarantess here until something happens like Olsen going off, gets hurt, or plays like crap. No doubt Da Bears have high hopes for this #1 pick.

I hope that helps, but it prolly doesn't.

Who isn't? And Da Bears aren't talkin'. Olsen will play this week. How much, is the question. TEBC??? Possible. They supposedly have "special" plays for Olsen. 2 TE set? I think I've seen that before w/ Clark/Gilmore, but w/ Olsen's speed it could be more potent. The right side has been a disaster this season (TJ's gone and Benson still can't pick up a blitz). I could see a 2 TE set, Clark blocks the right and Olsen slants, quick and done 7 yards+.. But that's JMO.

YES, I used the words "Possible", "supposedly", not to mention my speculation of how. That's the best I can give. No guarantess here until something happens like Olsen going off, gets hurt, or plays like crap. No doubt Da Bears have high hopes for this #1 pick.

I hope that helps, but it prolly doesn't.

I am guessing based on what you are saying, that the possible plan is to play both and use Clark as a traditional TE and Olsen as a slot WR/TE hybrid. besides berrimen who are the bears excited about at WR?

I am guessing based on what you are saying, that the possible plan is to play both and use Clark as a traditional TE and Olsen as a slot WR/TE hybrid. besides berrimen who are the bears excited about at WR?

That's one scenario, along w/ what Gil said, which is TEBC.

The Bears offense is in trouble. They are old on the line, and they have a RB that is still needing to learn quite a bit to be consistently effective.

As far as putting Olsen in the mix, he's needed to get those LB's pulled back a bit. Teams know how to defend Grossman. He can throw the deep ball, and they are playing that modified cover two against him, with the only options being 15-20 on the sidelines, 3-7 in the flat, OR seamed down the middle 20+. They need Olsen to draw that coverage towards the middle of the field, and over the LB's.

A few pieces of success to him over the middle, and I think we'll see Benson have a little more room--and there will be more opportunity to run Berrian on the fly like we saw last year.

I do know that they were unable to run their complete package without Olsen. However, until that old line, and immature RB start to learn how to pick up the blitz, we won't get a chance to see how effective Olsen really can be. They may target him half a dozen times on Sunday, and I expect we'll see 2, maybe 3 catches for moderate numbers.

The Bears offense is in trouble. They are old on the line, and they have a RB that is still needing to learn quite a bit to be consistently effective.

As far as putting Olsen in the mix, he's needed to get those LB's pulled back a bit. Teams know how to defend Grossman. He can throw the deep ball, and they are playing that modified cover two against him, with the only options being 15-20 on the sidelines, 3-7 in the flat, OR seamed down the middle 20+. They need Olsen to draw that coverage towards the middle of the field, and over the LB's.

A few pieces of success to him over the middle, and I think we'll see Benson have a little more room--and there will be more opportunity to run Berrian on the fly like we saw last year.

I do know that they were unable to run their complete package without Olsen. However, until that old line, and immature RB start to learn how to pick up the blitz, we won't get a chance to see how effective Olsen really can be. They may target him half a dozen times on Sunday, and I expect we'll see 2, maybe 3 catches for moderate numbers.

See, this is why the Huddle is like no other. A masterful post, Gil. :D

Good post. When homers aren't blind you get some really good info. :D

Gil has it right. The only way the Bears are going to run the ball effectively is if opposing linebackers have to be concerned about their first step being backwards, as opposed to crashing the line. But, the tightend isn't the only way to make this happen.

The Colts used Stokely in the slot to do this a couple of years ago. Now they use Clark. Regardless, in the cover two, there has to be an over the middle, seam threat so the linebackers are concerned about droping back.

Okay, so we all know that. Here's the rub. In the off-season and in the pre-season, the Bears talked about moving Devin Hester around and using him in the slot. Hester in the slot could create the same Colts/Stokely mis-match that kills the cover two and makes the linebackers retreat. But, the Bears haven't gone to it.

As a Bears fan, I'm concerned that it is not a personnel issue, but a play calling issue. We could have used Hester to achieve what Gil was talking about, but didn't. Is it going to change now that Olsen is available?

I hope so.