[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Observations from Colts at Texans

CaptainHook

Colts special teams!!!!! :D Last week it was FG protection, this week it's kick coverage on punts and kick-offs. I am so sick of this team giving up long returns and TD's. I cannot figure out why they are so bad year after year. It's time the Colts go a different direction and fire their special teams coach. He is simply not getting it done.

Colts defense was not as good this week. While they held the Texans to only 40 yards rushing, I think that was more a product of Houston being down to their third string back. The pass defense was very soft. Maybe they weren't sure how to play Schaub since they haven't faced him before. They allowed a lot of short completions, which is fine, but they didn't tackle as well this week. I have a feeling this is going to be the "book" on beating the Cotls this year. Short passes, methodical drives. If you can avoid making mistakes, you can drive on the Colts using your short passing game.

Matt Schaub is very good. I've said for a long time that the Houston offensive line received too much blame for the sacks that David Carr took. Carr would hang on to the ball too long. Schaub does not. He slides in the pocket well, and is accurate on the run. He is the second best QB in the division already. His first INT was off a tipped ball. The second was his worst throw, and a bad read. The Texans had been doing so well with short completions, but he tried to go for the TD after the Jacoby Jones punt return and he never saw Gary Brackett, who intercepted the pass. I was most impressed that Schaub was able to play so well without a running game, and without his best WR.

Kubiak's game management was shaky at best. The Texans last possession before half was laughable. With time-outs and two minutes, he was content to run clock?? I know you don't want to give the ball back to Manning, but geez. Way to conservative. His challenge of the Rocky Boiman INT was bad too. The Texans needed that time-out at the end of the game..

The Texans D is better, but that's not saying much. Manning moved the ball at will, and if there hadn't been dropped passes (for the second straight week) the Colts would never have come off the field without scoring. Gonzales dropped two, and Wayne dropped one.

Colts struggled to get TD's in the red zone for the second straight week, having to settle for FG's. That allowed the Texans to stick around. Manning missed Harrison for an easy TD on second and six from the 6 yard line in the third quarter. Just rushed it, and the pass was too high.

Colts D got WAY to conservative EARLY in the fourth quarter. I hate that. Allowed the Texans to score two garbage TD's. Kinda frustrating cause the Texans could not run. You would think the Colts would be able to tee off on the passing game a little more.

Very hard to get a feel for how good the Texans really are offensively since they were without Andre Johnson and Ahman Green.

Colts pass protection was much better this week.

Freddie Keiaho is wearing a HUGH brace on his elbow, and was not nearly as impressive as he was against New Orleans.

All in all, very pleased with the win. Back-to-back divisional road wins are tough.

Jacoby Jones seperated his shoulder and will miss 2-3 weeks.

Starting center Steve McKinney (a former Colt) tore his ACL and is done for the year.

Ahman Green said that his knee injury was not serious, and involved swelling. He was not sure he would be able to play next week against Atlanta.

I didn't get to see the game on TV yesterday, but I came away with two impressions from "watching" it over NFL.com...

(1) Kick/punt coverage is just AWFUL. They've been awful for the past few years, and it hasn't gotten any better. This will KILL them in the playoffs.

(2) Despite the negative impact on my fantasy team, I was really glad to see Keith getting more carries. They need to keep Addai fresh for the playoffs. And I don't think that I'm getting ahead of myself when I say that. Looking at the rest of their schedule...

DEN

TB

(bye)

@ JAX

@ CAR

NE

@ SD

KC

@ ATL

JAX

@ BAL

@ OAK

HOU

TEN

... I don't see them losing more than three or four games, max. The AFC isn't nearly as good as it was last year. It'll be tough with the way that NE is playing, but I think that they have a very legitimate shot at the #1 seed.

In defense of IND's D, that's what they (and every other "Tampa 2" D) wants to do:

1. Do not let anyone or anything get behind you.

2. Allow the short stuff in front of you, swarm & go for the strip. This is frustrating to watch as a fan when other teams are moving it between the 20s, but if they get to the red zone the windows become a lot smaller.

3. Generate pressure with their front 4 and only their front 4

As a note, some Tampa 2 Ds blitz more than others, depending on how good the DL is, how aggressive the DC is, etc.

In defense of IND's D, that's what they (and every other "Tampa 2" D) wants to do:

1. Do not let anyone or anything get behind you.

2. Allow the short stuff in front of you, swarm & go for the strip. This is frustrating to watch as a fan when other teams are moving it between the 20s, but if they get to the red zone the windows become a lot smaller.

3. Generate pressure with their front 4 and only their front 4

As a note, some Tampa 2 Ds blitz more than others, depending on how good the DL is, how aggressive the DC is, etc.

Yeah, I understand that. But like I said, they weren't tackling as well yesterday, the passes were so quick they weren't getting pressure, and Schaub was very accurate. Just wasn't their best defensive effort.

Kubiak's game management was shaky at best. The Texans last possession before half was laughable. With time-outs and two minutes, he was content to run clock?? I know you don't want to give the ball back to Manning, but geez. Way to conservative. His challenge of the Rocky Boiman INT was bad too. The Texans needed that time-out at the end of the game.

I didnt so much have a problem with him running the clock down as I did with them running the clock and THEN throwing an incomplete pass on 3rd and 2, which stopped the clock. I would have preferred them run it on 3rd and 2 and if they convert, take a shot downfield. If not, at least run the clock down before the punt.

The Texans D is better, but that's not saying much. Manning moved the ball at will, and if there hadn't been dropped passes (for the second straight week) the Colts would never have come off the field without scoring. Gonzales dropped two, and Wayne dropped one.

Actually I think that is saying a lot. IMO, the Texans D is MUCH improved from last years, especially the run defense (the Colts longest run was 9 and they were held under 100). Of course Manning moved the ball at will, but it was through the passing game, which IS the biggest problem with this Texans team. Losing both Earl and Simmons this early has hurt the secondary that was already suspect.

Very hard to get a feel for how good the Texans really are offensively since they were without Andre Johnson and Ahman Green.

Colts pass protection was much better this week.

I think it would have been a much better game if Andre and Ahman would have been 100%, but they weren't so who knows. I was pretty happy the way the Texans gutted it out rather than folding, considering the slew of injuries the had looking at them. But like the team said, moral victories don't show up in the win column.

I didn't catch the Indy game last week, but Houston did force Manning from the pocket on a few occasions, which never happened last season. I was impressed how Ugoh did against Mario for most of the game.

All in all, very pleased with the win. Back-to-back divisional road wins are tough.

You should be. Congrats on the victory, maybe we can steal one at your place next time. :D

And you should be

I've been on these boards for years and never realized how much of a condescending prick Vet is - has he always been like this?

You're right.

I love Hook, and I think he is one of the best contributers to this board. I was just trying to rib him a little bit - I thought he "knew" me well enough for that - but my sense of humor doesn't come across well in writing. I think if we were all hanging out in person, it would have come across better. But, it is what it is. I've always tried to make fun of myself and my own team as much as or more than I make fun of others - and I think if anyone takes the time to look back at my posts they'll find that I have no problem poking fun at the Jets and at myself. But, I also do like to have fun with people on these boards.

Anyway, I think they are going to ban me for questioning their injury expert, so this might be my last post.

If so - adios guys, good luck to all your teams....I don't think the Jets will be giving you any headaches anytime soon.

I've enjoyed visiting this board, and

You're right.

I love Hook, and I think he is one of the best contributers to this board. I was just trying to rib him a little bit - I thought he "knew" me well enough for that - but my sense of humor doesn't come across well in writing. I think if we were all hanging out in person, it would have come across better. But, it is what it is. I've always tried to make fun of myself and my own team as much as or more than I make fun of others - and I think if anyone takes the time to look back at my posts they'll find that I have no problem poking fun at the Jets and at myself. But, I also do like to have fun with people on these boards.

Anyway, I think they are going to ban me for questioning their injury expert, so this might be my last post.

If so - adios guys, good luck to all your teams....I don't think the Jets will be giving you any headaches anytime soon.

wow. banned in mid-post. that's a first. If it was in jest, then I'm sorry I didn't take it that way. I just thought you were cranky. :D

You're right.

Thanks for clarifying. Like I said, I never thought you were like that and it is hard to interpret sarcasm on a message board. If you did get banned then I guess I will see you around later in the year :D Good luck with your teams as well :D